• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The other Steve Smith question - Who would you try and get him out ?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All conjecture. Besides, bonafide ATGs like Border and Gavaskar didn't fare well against such attacks and Smith has done as well as anyone on spicy decks and against good attacks. I don't know about sorted out but I can't recall many batsmen averaging 50+ against such attacks anyway. Wasim, Ambrose and Macko will obviously wreck anyone but I'm not sure if that represents a weakness. I'm just salivating at the thought of him meeting Rabada and Bumrah in his current form. When do SA play Australia?

Burner

International Regular
Consistently scoring a lot of runs against an attack of the caliber of the windies spearheads is just not possible even for ATG batsmen. Scoring a ton in a series among a lot of failures is what should be expected.

Slifer

International Captain
Consistently scoring a lot of runs against an attack of the caliber of the windies spearheads is just not possible even for ATG batsmen. Scoring a ton in a series among a lot of failures is what should be expected.
Awta.

Slifer

International Captain
All conjecture. Besides, bonafide ATGs like Border and Gavaskar didn't fare well against such attacks and Smith has done as well as anyone on spicy decks and against good attacks. I don't know about sorted out but I can't recall many batsmen averaging 50+ against such attacks anyway. Wasim, Ambrose and Macko will obviously wreck anyone but I'm not sure if that represents a weakness. I'm just salivating at the thought of him meeting Rabada and Bumrah in his current form. When do SA play Australia?
I believe India tour Oz in 2020. No idea when RSA and oz will clash again..

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ambrose would have a decent chance of squaring him up and eventually finding his outside edge (thinking about one of his crazy 7/1 type spells on a bouncy Perth track).

I don't think a Steyn-type bowler would have that much success against Smith because he'd just leave all those outswingers with his stance and impeccable judgement of off-stump. Then pick him off as he inevitable drifts onto the pad trying to bowl the perfect delivery.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, some people argue like they think Bradman would have averaged 80 against the Windies quartet

harsh.ag

In the ATG exercises, I expect Tendulkar, Sobers etc to average 35-40 and Bradman to average 55-60 with the bat over a 5 match series.

Spark

Global Moderator
In the ATG exercises, I expect Tendulkar, Sobers etc to average 35-40 and Bradman to average 55-60 with the bat over a 5 match series.
You can argue this but it's dishonest to suggest that it has to be the case and expecting a batsman who averaged 100 to be, well, better than averaging 55 is unrealistic.

I'd put him in a time machine and transport him back to pre 90s where bouncers were unrestricted and pitches were more bowler friendly. He'd be sorted out then imo especially by the likes of MM, Holding, Garner and co. Now playing under current conditions, I think bowlers like Rabada trouble him enough so a fast bowler with good enough pace, accuracy and a lil nastiness mixed in should do the trick. Therefore MM, Ambrose, Wasim should do just fine...imo
I have never seen as much effort put into "actually the guy averaging 65 in a bowler-friendly era is Bad" as I've seen with Steve Smith.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

You can argue this but it's dishonest to suggest that it has to be the case and expecting a batsman who averaged 100 to be, well, better than averaging 55 is unrealistic.
Don't think it's unrealistic, just unlikely. Think most people know that at least subconsciously, it's just a bit of a taboo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think it's unrealistic, just unlikely. Think most people know that at least subconsciously, it's just a bit of a taboo.
Again, it's fine to believe yourself that it's unrealistic. But saying that people who openly say they think otherwise are lying to themselves is absurd.

harsh.ag

Again, it's fine to believe yourself that it's unrealistic. But saying that people who openly say they think otherwise are lying to themselves is absurd.
I don't actually think that anyone is lying to themselves or the 55-60 average has to be the case. The expectation of an 80-90 average just doesn't make sense to me, that's all (given regular pitches and not batting paradises).

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't actually think that anyone is lying to themselves or the 55-60 average has to be the case. The expectation of an 80-90 average just doesn't make sense to me, that's all (given regular pitches and not batting paradises).
Maybe the bloke was just really, really, really good at batting and would find a way.

Say it's a four Test series which would work out at ~seven completed innings, That's about 500-600 runs which literally could be done in two and half innings, given the frequency of double hundreds he made. So even if he has a whole stack of failures, it's hardly beyond the realms of comprehension.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Maybe the bloke was just really, really, really good at batting and would find a way.

Say it's a four Test series which would work out at ~seven completed innings, That's about 500-600 runs which literally could be done in two and half innings, given the frequency of double hundreds he made. So even if he has a whole stack of failures, it's hardly beyond the realms of comprehension.
Oh it could definitely happen. I was thinking in terms of likelihood.