• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current third-best spinner?

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
i would rate spinner as

1. muralitharan
2. kumble
3. warne
4. harbhajan
5. kaneria
6. rafique
7. price
8. macgill
9. vettori

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But, if Ray Price plays, that in all likelyness means that the disputes have been settled and the rebels have returned.

And I think, at full strength, Zimbabwe definately deserve test status.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmm.... interesting difference of opinion there, because, bar a massive overhaul of the current situation, I hope Zimbabwe don't (play Tests again).
But, if Ray Price plays, that in all likelyness means that the disputes have been settled and the rebels have returned.

And I think, at full strength, Zimbabwe definately deserve test status.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sudeep Popat said:
But Shane Warne at no. 1 based on personal liking and better talents both.

What exactly are these better talents? Batting? Because otherwise, I seriously doubt it... Warney has been hit out by Indian and Sri Lankan line ups in the past, to an extent,even the Windies. But I don't think Murali has actually struggled against anyone to pick up wickets. And he is always a one-man army which just makes it that much more difficult....In a way, he is the Brian Lara with a ball....

biased indian

International Coach
Shane warne will have the best Opp of his life to prove where he stand as a great spinner in the 4 test series aganist india.

if he fails once again aganist india. there is no way he can be treated as the best spinner

Sudeep

International Captain
Here's my theory:

Murali has a birth defect in his spinning arm, hasn't he? Which has been proved to help him. So in reality, he didn't develop any skills, he has been gifted with them. I sure do have sympathy for him, but the fact is he didn't have to work hard as hard as others at being good.

Warne and Kumble on the other hand have developed their talent themselves. And what more, they are much more innovative that Murali. Does Warne have more variations that Murali? Yes.

Warne is no. 1 on my list on that basis.

Also, Murali as far as I can see, doesn't have that many variations, and whatever innovations he has brought have been proved illegal haven't they?

So... there's my explanation.

chicane

State Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
Murali has a birth defect in his spinning arm, hasn't he? Which has been proved to help him. So in reality, he didn't develop any skills, he has been gifted with them. I sure do have sympathy for him, but the fact is he didn't have to work hard as hard as others at being good.
Warne and Kumble on the other hand have developed their talent themselves.
So what? Murali is still the better bowler. Warne also has some natural qualities and a natural talent which set him apart from the rest. There's no substitute for hard work, no matter how talented you are. Murali has worked very hard for all those wickets.
Sudeep Popat said:
Does Warne have more variations that Murali? Yes.
In the end what matters is how much sucess Murali has achieved. The fact that he doesn't have too many variations and still picks so many wickets shows what a truly magnificent bowler he is. Are you like giving points for variations, hard-work etc. and then comparing them?[/QUOTE]
Sudeep Popat said:
Also, Murali as far as I can see, doesn't have that many variations, and whatever innovations he has brought have been proved illegal haven't they?
So... there's my explanation.
Again as above. And he may well correct his doosra action. He has the one that goes straight on as well.

twctopcat

International Regular
Sudeep Popat said:
Here's my theory:

If you actually think that murali hasn't had to put any effort into becoming the bowler he is today, i think you're being bloody ignorant.He's worked as much as the rest of them to become one of the premier spinner's in the world. Defect or no defect doesn't explain all of his talent.

Sudeep

International Captain
I'm not being ignorant.

Sorry for the confusion, but by 'others' I meant only Warne and Kumble.

Sudeep

International Captain
And I didn't say he didn't put in any effort for all those wickets, all I said is he didn't have to develop his skills as much as Warne and Kumble, because he has defect which helps him.

twctopcat

International Regular
You don't know that. It's a known fact that he put's in more practice than any other member of the sl team. The defect isn't massively advantageous, at the end of the day he spins with his wrist and not his deformed elbow. And as Kumble shows, its not all about spinning it a yard, its more about tricking the batsmen, as Murali does by hiding his deliveries etc.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Sundeep just does not like giving Murali any credit because although he deserves it, placing anyone above Warne would be treason, irrespective of whether they have been more successful or are actually better than than the Australian.

Sundeep, do you think the Indians should be executed for proving that Warne is not the legend that you like to think he is?

biased indian

International Coach
Sudeep Popat said:
Here's my theory:
warne and Kumble on the other hand have developed their talent themselves. And what more, they are much more innovative that Murali.
Does Warne have more variations that Murali? Yes.
and kumble is second because he doesnt have any variations at all :D :D

chicane

State Captain
koch_cha said:
and kumble is second because he doesnt have any variations at all :D :D
Kumble's googly and top-spinner are quite potent actually. Not to mention his quicker(120 kph) one.

Sudeep

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Sundeep just does not like giving Murali any credit because although he deserves it, placing anyone above Warne would be treason, irrespective of whether they have been more successful or are actually better than than the Australian.

Sundeep, do you think the Indians should be executed for proving that Warne is not the legend that you like to think he is?
We could go on days dicussing Murali and Warne.

And the unfortunate thing is, still there will be differences.

So, let's just keep it there.

I have I different views than most of the others, so be it. I don't want to prove that I'm right.

So from now on I'll cease to discuss anything related to Murali vs. Warne, because I know it's difficult to get my point across.

Fai enough?