• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KL Rahul bowl throw analysis with clips

critrack

Cricket Spectator
Hello,

This is my first post here, please pardon me for any mistakes or if I accidentally violate any rules of the forum.

So, It's been 3-4 occasions now, I have observed that KL Rahul seems to have a bad technique when throwing a ball. And especially in the crunch situations when he fields at Long on. I don't know what the technical term for that but the way he throws coming from below the waist height creating a weird angle, also, body not in a stable position and from that angle bowl keep getting away from the bowler and wicketkeeper at the other end

These are 3 clips I was able to find but this is not only it. I have seen him many a time do this on the live telecasts. This is just the best examples I could find.

clip 1 https://i.imgur.com/7cB1RQB.gifv Yesterday match, notice how the ball is going away as he throws that ball, not even close to the bowler. Easy runs for the batsmen.

clip 2 https://i.imgur.com/gGgUh38.gifv - India vs Australia, Last ball 2 runs required. Same thing here. Fast hands and good throw in the hands of the bowler here could have tied the match

clip 3 https://giant.gfycat.com/SafeUnrulyKrill.webm - This is the funniest, he even got trolled for this. Same technique, no control on the ball, made a mess of an easy throw. Thankfully, Manish Pandey was covering there, his presence of mind save embarrassment for Rahul. Could have a cost the match for India, the way Hope was batting

https://circleofcricket.com/categor...icket-and-made-him-a-butt-of-jokes-on-twitter

I'm no way an expert here, and maybe I'm completely wrong. just thought of sharing this tidbit. But just the curiosity made me post this. I'm always looking for the minute details. If anything good can come out of it, I would believe it as a successful effort. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good spot. From my experience the advantages of throwing side arm are that it saves time and gets you a flatter trajectory. You typically see infielders do this more often. When you're on the move in the infield you're often at weird angles and sometimes need to let the ball go while off balance.

Imagine running in from covers towards the non striker to pick up a ball, if you need to affect a run out at the strikers end, throwing it side arm is far easier and quicker than throwing it over your shoulder which just feels awkward and needs you to be better balanced.

Don't think he should've done it in these specific cases though.

critrack

Cricket Spectator
Good spot. From my experience the advantages of throwing side arm are that it saves time and gets you a flatter trajectory. You typically see infielders do this more often. When you're on the move in the infield you're often at weird angles and sometimes need to let the ball go while off balance.

Imagine running in from covers towards the non striker to pick up a ball, if you need to affect a run out at the strikers end, throwing it side arm is far easier and quicker than throwing it over your shoulder which just feels awkward and needs you to be better balanced.

Don't think he should've done it in these specific cases though.
Thanks for the feedback.

I used to do that during my playing days. The slinging actions gives good power to the throw but if the release point is messed up the throw will go wide. You can see some exceptional fielders like maxwell and Jadeja too with the slinging action which gives that extra zip to the throw. KL is releasing it from around waist height, needs to keep in mind when he is going to release the ball or will always end up going away from intended target. Reducing accuracy for a powerful throw.

Hence when doing fielding drills most coaches (atleast the ones who notice) will always advice to use something akin to getting your hands little above shoulder height for the throw.

Also, I would like to seek some advice. So Is this the right way to post gif here. How does someone post videos or image, use links or upload as a file?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Use the
tag with the URL of the picture/gif in between

There’s no right/wrong way regardless, don’t worry about it :)

critrack

Cricket Spectator
So I recently discovered TWC quiz in 2010 on this forum. I was looking for quiz questions on the internet with some difficulty level and I really enjoyed that one.

Could you please guide me to any more quizzes like this?