• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne got off lightly says Anti-Doping Agency Chief

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
While your on a roll karsa can you describe a performance enhancing drug that would aid a spin bowler or are you just parroting something you heard at the pub.
Move aside, Sir Les Patterson. Australia have a new cultural attache.

Scallywag

Banned
Well Dasa hows this for simple Warne is innocent until proven guilty, so unless you come up with proof that he has or did take performance enhancing drugs its quite simple that he is innocent.

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
Well Dasa hows this for simple Warne is innocent until proven guilty, so unless you come up with proof that he has or did take performance enhancing drugs its quite simple that he is innocent.
And how are you supposed to come up with this proof? The most vital indicator was that he took a masking agent.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
He was guilty of taking a substance frequently used in order to mask the presence of a performance-enhancing drug. Consequently, by default he has committed a doping offence.

Scallywag

Banned
luckyeddie said:
He was guilty of taking a substance frequently used in order to mask the presence of a performance-enhancing drug. Consequently, by default he has committed a doping offence.
Correct and that substance was Diuretics and no other drug was detected and as stated before no drugs had been detected in any other previous tests.
Similar case is Dravid who only recieved a small fine when he should have been banned for altering the condition of the ball.

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
Correct and that substance was Diuretics and no other drug was detected and as stated before no drugs had been detected in any other previous tests.
Similar case is Dravid who only recieved a small fine when he should have been banned for altering the condition of the ball.
Dravid was punished for his ignorance but experts have argued as to how the mint could've aided swing.

Scallywag

Banned
chicane said:
Dravid was punished for his ignorance but experts have argued as to how the mint could've aided swing.
Dravid changed the condition of the ball which is agaist the rules but only recieved half the penalty. Why should he be treated differently than Warne.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:

Diuretics are used to flush out any other drugs.....So how could any other drugs be found you tool !

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
I will try to explain matters in very simple terms.

The reason that diuretics were detected is because they were present.
The reason that nothing else was detected was either
a) he hadn't taken anything else
b) he had, but their presence was being masked by the diuretics.

This is because certain types of diuretic (the type Shane Warne took) are frequently used to MASK the presence of other drugs. The doping panel accepted that the reason Warne took diuretics on the grounds of vanity, otherwise he would have got 2 years. For what it's worth, I believe him totally.

It's still a very serious offence. To liken it to ball-tampering is quite ridiculous. I suggest that you eat more fish.

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
Dravid changed the condition of the ball which is agaist the rules but only recieved half the penalty. Why should he be treated differently than Warne.
He wasn't. He was fined for being stupid. India didn't gain any advantage from that anyway. Warne consumed diuretics which is also against the rules. Only the latter's was a far more serious offence.

Scallywag

Banned
orangepitch said:
Diuretics are used to flush out any other drugs.....So how could any other drugs be found you tool !

You are looking very much like a tool yourself Orangepitch, can you explain why no diuretics or other drugs were detected in other tests. You dont just take one performance enhancing drug capsule and become superhuman, its a process taken over time. If Warne was taking performace enhancing drugs or masking them with diuretics it would have been detected in previous tests. His story fits in with the facts and the other stories dont fit with the facts.

Scallywag

Banned
chicane said:
He wasn't. He was fined for being stupid. .
OK

1. Sachin Tendulkar: - For alleged interference with the match ball, thus changing its condition.

Match Referee Decision: By acting on the match ball, Mr Tendulkar brought the game into disrepute (ICC Players and Team Officials Code No. 2) and has been fined 75% of his match fee, plus a one-Test Match ban. The ban will be suspended until the last day of December 2001.

Did Tendulkar get a bigger penalty for being more stupid.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Scallywag said:
You are looking very much like a tool yourself Orangepitch, can you explain why no diuretics or other drugs were detected in other tests. You dont just take one performance enhancing drug capsule and become superhuman, its a process taken over time. If Warne was taking performace enhancing drugs or masking them with diuretics it would have been detected in previous tests. His story fits in with the facts and the other stories dont fit with the facts.
If you lose the first sentence of that post, it may well be your first decent post. :happy:

For what it's worth, if they were being consistent I believe he should get 2 years but when has any ruling body been consistent (exceptly consistently inconsistent). I think it was the right punishment for him.

It lost him a World Cup medal and IMO, the wicket-taking world record as well because Murali took a crapload while he was out. Also he lost the respect of the cricketing world (yes people did respect before hand :p).

Slow Love™

International Captain
JASON said:
Hey I didn't know you and "Wazim" were one and the same!! :huh:
You are not just Slowlove alone, you are just plain and simply 'Slow'. :-O
Is that (valium) what you take ? No wonder you are what you are (slow)!!

Before anyone starts saying that I am turning this into a slang match , please note the contents of the quote.
I think we can safely say that "funny" isn't really your thing. Fortunately, your ability for tightly-wound paranoia more than compensates for this deficiency.

Now you're accusing me of being Wazim? Oh, bugger off.

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
OK

1. Sachin Tendulkar: - For alleged interference with the match ball, thus changing its condition.

Match Referee Decision: By acting on the match ball, Mr Tendulkar brought the game into disrepute (ICC Players and Team Officials Code No. 2) and has been fined 75% of his match fee, plus a one-Test Match ban. The ban will be suspended until the last day of December 2001.

Did Tendulkar get a bigger penalty for being more stupid.
That punishment was too severe. However, since supposedly Sachin was found guilty of tampering, he was handed the ban. Dravid's case was puzzling as the mint could'nt have had much of an effect on the ball. And one test finding banned substances is enough to finish a sportsperson's career. Don't you get it? It's a very severe offence. You are going nowhere comparing it to SRT's and Dravid's cases. The question is did Warne get away with a light punishent? YES.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:

All I can say is that either he didnt do drugs before that or maybe one must consider that the ACB hasnt exactly been the most honest board .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
orangepitch said:
All I can say is that either he didnt do drugs before that or maybe one must consider that the ACB hasnt exactly been the most honest board .
I wasn't aware that they had much of an out-of-competition drug-testing policy prior to the run-up to WC2003 anyway. Cricket had always been looked upon as a low-priority sport from a drug-testing perspective.

Scallywag

Banned
chicane said:
That punishment was too severe. However, since supposedly Sachin was found guilty of tampering, he was handed the ban. Dravid's case was puzzling as the mint could'nt have had much of an effect on the ball. And one test finding banned substances is enough to finish a sportsperson's career. Don't you get it? It's a very severe offence. You are going nowhere comparing it to SRT's and Dravid's cases. The question is did Warne get away with a light punishent? YES.
Both Dravid and Tendulkar were both charged with the same offence and got different penaltys. Dont you find that disturbing.

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
Both Dravid and Tendulkar were both charged with the same offence and got different penaltys. Dont you find that disturbing.
Makes no sense arguing anymore.

Deja moo

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
I wasn't aware that they had much of an out-of-competition drug-testing policy prior to the run-up to WC2003 anyway. Cricket had always been looked upon as a low-priority sport from a drug-testing perspective.
Me neither.But even if there was no drug testing before the WC2003 , whos to say that the ACB couldnt have supressed it like they supressed the Information-for-money scandal involving Warne and M waugh ?
This sounds like pure speculation, but isnt that what this thread is about ?