• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

howardj

International Coach
Peter Lalor - an informed, respected journalist who writes for The Australian (Burgey will chuckle at those words in the same sentence) - is thinking that it's Burns and Renners to miss

howardj

International Coach
I've always thought that Marnus was Hohn's personal bias pick. He's done literally nothing is his career to justify a test spot, even in these dire times.

You saying this will never be not funny.
Somebody else on here came up with it earlier in the Summer

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean if Harris scored 10, 15, 0 and 17 in his next 4 innings and the other opener scored a hundred and a half century, Harris wouldn't be retained for the Ashes in all likelihood.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Our standards have dropped a long way then if we consider 2 half centuries in 4 matches at an average of less than 37 to be enough to nail down a spot. It's passable but it's not irreplaceable.
You said "he hasn't really done a lot so far", when he was Aus' best batsman in his debut series.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You said "he hasn't really done a lot so far", when he was Aus' best batsman in his debut series.
Just because he was our best batsman doesn't mean a whole lot when you look at the standard of our batting lineup in that series.

Like Head he's done enough to keep him in the side but hasn't done enough to cement his spot if someone better comes along or he has a few bad tests running.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Marnus shouldn't be anywhere near the squad let alone the team, but oh well
Honestly think Labuschange is the most woeful selection in the Aust test team I can ever remember. Nothing to justify him being selected initially (FC batting average of 33) and he's now played 4 tests, hasn't made a 50 and is averaging 23 with the bat. Why on earth was he selected again for this series? Woeful.

The only remotely feasible way I can see this makes sense is if the selectors though "**** it, Smith (and Warner) will be back in a few months and we dont want to throw a legit promising bat (patterson, pukovski) into this ****storm of a test team against India, so lets pick any schmuck and see what happen".

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dan Cullen for mine. Was smacked around in Shield all season before getting a debut against ****ing Bangladesh in Gillespie's game. Proceeded to look innocuous on a deck that turned square from ball 1.

aussie tragic

International Captain
This could also be the least experienced top 6 in 100 years with 5 of the batsmen having 13 Tests between them.

Harris (4)
Khawaja (39)
Labushagne (3)
Patterson (0)
Head (6)
Puckovski (0)

And with the above they make Head vc? Khawaja must be on thin ice to miss out on that given his experience and is Qld captain.

Note: Burns (14), Renshaw (11)