• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Problem with this is also that SMarsh dominated the Shield games he played this summer, almost 450 runs from 6 innings, average of 88.

SMarsh's selection at the start of the summer made perfect sense, and bizarrely it still does, largely because the cupboard is bare, although it also doesn't. Who can we expect to come into tests and do better than him? Perhaps Wade (although his test batting record hardly suggests it). Burns has played a few tests and averages about the same at that level as Marsh. Lehmann, Patterson, Pucovski? Who knows?

Darren Lehmann, Martin Love, Stuart Law, Brad Hodge et al must be turning in their proverbial graves that they didn't get the chance to play 40ish tests like Marsh has. yada yada
It definitely doesn't. Succeeding in Shield doesn't mean that succeeding in Tests is a certainty. Some players are more suited to a higher level than others.

Just because 2 players have a similar record of Shield dominance, doesn't mean they have a similar likelihood of succeeding in Test cricket. Player A v Player B, both average 60 in Shield, one might average 20 in Tests, the other 50 in Tests, you can't tell until you try them.

Shaun Marsh has proven pretty definitively which category he falls into IMO

TheJediBrah

Worrall's a guy that I could see being as effective in England as Jimmy Anderson if things click for him. But I can also see him bowling trash depending on his mood.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've always thought his control of length was a bit suspect. Tends to bowl terrible short balls with greater than preferred frequency.

howardj

International Coach
Problem with this is also that SMarsh dominated the Shield games he played this summer, almost 450 runs from 6 innings, average of 88.

SMarsh's selection at the start of the summer made perfect sense, and bizarrely it still does, largely because the cupboard is bare, although it also doesn't. Who can we expect to come into tests and do better than him? Perhaps Wade (although his test batting record hardly suggests it). Burns has played a few tests and averages about the same at that level as Marsh. Lehmann, Patterson, Pucovski? Who knows?
Obviously Marsh's success at Shield level earlier in the Summer should have been disregarded because he's a proven failure at Test level and, at 35 years of age, there is hardly scope for improvement

It's a general rule - i.e. you can't defy gravity at Test level by averaging significantly more than you do at Shield level (Head, Finch, MMarsh, Marnus L etc.)

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
35 yo proven failure at the test level. How do they overlook that. He is likely to start nicking off more as his eye goes.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Worrall is definitely a brilliant swinger of the ball, can run through sides on his day. But as pointed out he can tend to go missing from time to time, and is also injured at the moment. If fully fit I think he would be worth a go for the Ashes.

And Head's FC average does not tell the full story. Was thrown into Shield cricket prematurely, and in a dire batting lineup at that. His record over the last few seasons is better

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On Shaun Marsh:

He was picked this summer on the basis of last summer and the shield results this season. He was the form batsman in the shield and last summer made good runs at home.

However it must be remembered that domestic performances are a prerequisite for being good at test level. We cannot forget how bad Ponting looked against Kallis (a part timer) in his last tests. And yet he went back and averaged 100 in the shield after his international retirement.

Shaun Marsh is in the same boat. His eye is going but he's more than good enough to play domestic cricket well.

It's time to move on and while I don't hate the guy, I think he had a disappointing career, based on his perceived potential. In a stronger team with less pressure perhaps he'd have done better but alas, he is what he is and now it's time for him to be moved on.

I do see a future for Mitch Marsh at test level. His all round abilities seem an absolutely perfect fit for a team that has batsmen in desperate need to hydrate between overs.

howardj

International Coach
Marsh should never have been picked this Summer as he failed in South Africa, and the UAE

This, along with his overall Test average and his age, made his performances in the Shield earlier this Summer irrelevant

Top_Cat

And Head's FC average does not tell the full story. Was thrown into Shield cricket prematurely, and in a dire batting lineup at that. His record over the last few seasons is better
True but SA really need him to convert those blazing last-day tons into some first day tons.

That said, if he did do that, he’d probably be catapaulted into being the top bat in the country behind Smith and Warner. So close to being a nailed-on 100 Test player.

morgieb

Yeah I think it's time to cut off Shaun Marsh. I think the SA/UAE failures were probably ignorable as he's had periods of woeful form before, but the problem is he's not kicking on with starts either now whereas he used to be pretty good at it. And you see plenty of class bats still dominate domestics even when their Test form has been going belly up. We can beat SL without him, and by the Ashes Warner/Smith will be back so no need for extra experience anyway.

I do not want to see Mitch Marsh at Test level again until he's had at least two 50+ averaging seasons at Shield level (and off 8-9 games, not 5). He's had enough chances, he needs to really gun it to get ahead of the queue at Test level.

Labuschagne and Handscomb are irritating in that they both got a start but didn't kick on (and I don't rate either in the six best available bats, well not current Handscomb anyway)...and yet I feel reluctant to cast off players off only one innings. I think I could go along with either option for what the selectors do with them.

Head needs runs. While his recent Shield average (like the last 2-3 years) has been good, it's not been amazing either. And I don't rate his technique all that much. He should play against SL, but if he fails there I wouldn't take him to England.

Harris is worth persisting with - two scores of substance out of seven isn't too bad for a first series at all and apart from his short ball game he looks pretty solid technically. I expect him to do well against the Lankans at least, and think he can have a solid career (but I don't think he's quite good enough to be world class).

Finally there's Khawaja, who may be frustrating, but has an excuse for a weak series here (injury, the **** with his brother) and is still (until Warner and Smith come back) our only proven Test-class batsman. Has to stay.

SeamUp

International Coach
The last year in tests for Australia has only 1 century. The series defeat in SA was the first 4-match + test series not one of their batsman scored a century since the 69/70 defeat in South Africa. Now they did it again v India but Marcus Harris' 79 is the lowest highest score in a test series for Australia in over 100 years.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Some quality contributions from both Marsh's there. Competing with both Starc and Cummins. You could select Pattinson in place of either Marsh and get similar batting and tell Paine he bowls 10 overs max per day to keep him from breaking.

Edit: I just checked and Pattinson actually averages 27 with the bat at Test level. Would be an improvement in all departments.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
True but SA really need him to convert those blazing last-day tons into some first day tons.

That said, if he did do that, he’d probably be catapaulted into being the top bat in the country behind Smith and Warner. So close to being a nailed-on 100 Test player.
Have to agree that I want to see him make more game defining first innings runs. Head's day 4 h4x innings are always fun but often inconseqential

TheJediBrah

Some quality contributions from both Marsh's there. Competing with both Starc and Cummins. You could select Pattinson in place of either Marsh and get similar batting and tell Paine he bowls 10 overs max per day to keep him from breaking.

Edit: I just checked and Pattinson actually averages 27 with the bat at Test level. Would be an improvement in all departments.
Pattinson is a much better batsman now than he was back then too