• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Jack1

International Debutant
Personally think Dhoni is hugely overrated and often starts off far too slow which heaps pressure on the other batsman. I feel like for the roles he plays, the situations he comes in, a 88 strike rate is really bad in ODIs. He also only averages 38 in tests and a 127 strike rate in t20 which is also low for his role. He also has a large volume of not outs boosting his averages, showing he bats the back end of the innings a lot and the strike rates aren’t good enough for me.

At times in limited overs it seems he bats for his average instead of just going for it. Personally find Dhoni hugely overrated with the bat. I think the way he bats the match situation is also massively overrated and his finisher role. He scores too slowly. Kohli is India’s anchor and his strike rate is comfortably superior which is alarming.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That game ended Ashwin and Jaddu's ODI careers, and as a result has greatly increased our chances in the 2019 WC. So it was not all bad.
You already support 4754e teams. Wouldn't hurt to support Pakistan too!

Bolo

State Captain
Personally think Dhoni is hugely overrated and often starts off far too slow which heaps pressure on the other batsman. I feel like for the roles he plays, the situations he comes in, a 88 strike rate is really bad in ODIs. He also only averages 38 in tests and a 127 strike rate in t20 which is also low for his role. He also has a large volume of not outs boosting his averages, showing he bats the back end of the innings a lot and the strike rates aren’t good enough for me.

At times in limited overs it seems he bats for his average instead of just going for it. Personally find Dhoni hugely overrated with the bat. I think the way he bats the match situation is also massively overrated and his finisher role. He scores too slowly. Kohli is India’s anchor and his strike rate is comfortably superior which is alarming.
Was this an opinion you had two or three years ago?

trundler

He's way past his prime now. It's only recently that we've started seeing 400+ scores. Dhoni has had a stellar career.

cnerd123

likes this
***** does, but I think they're either related or Jos Buttler ran over his dog.
Poor Mr Miyagi never takes shots at other posters, all he's here to do is talk cricket. Everyone just bullies him because they disagree with his opinions that's all. He never instigates a fight by provoking others. Never ever ever. Completely innocent.

trundler

***** does, but I think they're either related or Jos Buttler ran over his dog.
Stop. Right there, stop. No one has ever suggested that. He even said that you were based on current form only. Don't do this all over again Miyagi.

Bolo

State Captain
I don't think how Dhoni can be "overrated". No one rates current Dhoni.
Pretty horrific fall from grace in ODIs at a time everyone else has been performing. He's dropped a lot in my career assesment of him as a result from one of the top handful of bats ever to merely excellent.

cnerd123

likes this
Pretty horrific fall from grace in ODIs at a time everyone else has been performing. He's dropped a lot in my career assesment of him as a result from one of the top handful of bats ever to merely excellent.
This is another thing we've discussed here a lot

Bad performances late in a players career do not affect all the good he has done earlier. Dhoni should not be rated higher if he retired earlier. That's just not logical. His career shouldn't be worse because he played more games and scored more runs.

Longevity should add to a player's reputation, if anything, and if Dhoni played for another 10 years and his stats got worse it wouldn't take away from, in my eyes, how great a cricketer he is.

Last edited:

trundler

Bad performances late in a players career do not affect all the good he has done later. Dhoni should not be rated higher if he retired earlier. That's just not logical. His career shouldn't be worse because he played more games and scored more runs.

Longevity should add to a player's reputation, if anything, and if Dhoni played for another 10 years and his stats got worse it wouldn't take away from, in my eyes, how great a cricketer he is.
See Viv, Akram, Ponting, Pollock, Donald etc.

Daemon

Bad performances late in a players career do not affect all the good he has done later. Dhoni should not be rated higher if he retired earlier. That's just not logical. His career shouldn't be worse because he played more games and scored more runs.

Disagree.

I think it affects his career assessment. You play past your prime, you don't do well, that's on your career record and it's all on you.

But it does not affect in anyway how bloody good a cricketer he was, which is why he always makes my ATG ODI XI.

Dunno if making this sort of distinction makes sense but there you go.

Bolo

State Captain

Nah.

I don't 100% endorse, but am not going to argue with this view, if a player plays past their best and fudges their stats a bit if they are an asset to their team.

Dhoni has been a batting liability though. Play on as a liability to your team and I can't disregard it. Hurt your team and you drop in my estimation.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I think you mean what Daemon does then.

Like, Dhoni will still be an ATG cricketer to me no matter what happens late in his career because of the peaks he reached

However, you want to phrase it as 'which cricketers career was a better career overall' then yea I can see the argument that hanging on longer affects this 'quality' value of the career.

Bolo

State Captain
Yea I think you mean what Daemon does then.

Like, Dhoni will still be an ATG cricketer to me no matter what happens late in his career because of the peaks he reached

However, you want to phrase it as 'which cricketers career was a better career overall' then yea I can see the argument that hanging on longer affects this 'quality' value of the career.
Ya. I worded it as career assessment to avoid the peak question. What he does now has no bearing on how good he was at his peak.