• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 Windies vs 2000 Windies

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I've heard, it was around the turn of the century that other sports started to surpass cricket in popularity, such as football.
No sport have ever surpassed cricket as the number one sport in Guyana. Never happened. Not even close.

SillyCowCorner1

Dwayne Bravo also made his debut during that period as well.

The less said about both of the D. Smiths, the better :laugh:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Jermaine Lawson was phenomenal in his 7-78 against Australia. His action was certainly somewhat rickety, but with more work with that (and less injuries) he could have been truly brilliant.

sunilz

International Regular
WI haven't won a test match against IND/AUS since 2002/03 . If they win a test match against either of these team , then i would believe they have turned the corner.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I guess since the OP is now outdated, a comparison between the current side & the 2000 team might be in order.

KC Brathwaite
JD Campbell
SD Hope
DM Bravo
RL Chase
SO Hetmyer
SO Dowrich+
JO Holder*
KAJ Roach
AS Joseph
ST Gabriel

(Smith, Powell, Bishoo, Cummins out; Campbell, Bravo, Hetmyer, Joseph in)

vs

SL Campbell
CH Gayle
WW Hinds
BC Lara
S Chanderpaul
JC Adams*
RD Jacobs+
CEL Ambrose
FA Rose
RD King
CA Walsh

This contest is getting closer & closer. A combined side might look like: Gayle, Brathwaite, Bravo/Hope, Lara, Chanders, Adams/Chase, Dowrich, Holder, Ambrose, Roach, Walsh. The split between 2019 & 2000 is almost even.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It wasn't so much that basketball became more popular for spectators than cricket, rather it became more popular for players, since it paid a heck of a lot more.

Ambrose would have played basketball if he was any good at it.

Slifer

International Captain
Wi spectators lost interest, when our team started sucking so badly. After Lara retired matters were only made worst. As far as player interest, having been back to the islands quite often there's still interest in cricket. From primary schools up through secondary. It's after that when kids have to start making a living that interest falls off. Of course, with the rise of the various 20-20 franchises, interest is starting again. Just my .02

slippy888

International Captain
2018 team is a more spirited team effort rather than 2000 side that only showed flashes of individual brilliance

SillyCowCorner1

Wi spectators lost interest, when our team started sucking so badly. After Lara retired matters were only made worst. As far as player interest, having been back to the islands quite often there's still interest in cricket. From primary schools up through secondary. It's after that when kids have to start making a living that interest falls off. Of course, with the rise of the various 20-20 franchises, interest is starting again. Just my .02
I remember during the time the Proteas came when Bourda hosted one of its final games (2004-2005)...the place was buzzing. I live far away from the city. We were glued to the radio. As Chanderpaul and Wavell Hinds got double-tons. There was euphoria.

And that one time in the Champions Trophy when USA participated. They were under a Guyanese captain, Steve Massiah or something like that.

And then T20 happened...

I can remember Ricky Ponting 90-odd runs.

A year or so later. Allen Stanford brought his tournament to the Caribbean. Catalyst.
A million US dollars.