• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder how much of the clinics in India have made a difference? As far as I'm aware it was not just for players but also coaches. And vice-versa for the fast bowling. A concerted effort was made by both boards.
I think shift in mind-set has definitely been massive. There is a belief that the spinner plays a role since G.Smith but he probably didn't get to work with as good a spinners as we have had down the line. These spin camps are definitely a knock on effect. It's great that guys like Maharaj/Harmer & others honed their skills domestically.

Here is the interesting one. In the sub in the past we backed our pace strength and it worked but has it worked in recent times and if not why is that ? With the option of a 2nd spinner which was clearly a must in the 2nd test in SRL we didn't ? Is that a knock to the spinners who are in the new era odmf SA cricket ?

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
While he is Kolpak for now, Simon Harmer does seem open to the idea of returning to play for South Africa in the future. If that does happen the Saffers could have two quality spinners for the first time in many many years. Since readmission spin has generally taken a back seat, those days look over now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Here is the interesting one. In the sub in the past we backed our pace strength and it worked but has it worked in recent times and if not why is that ? With the option of a 2nd spinner which was clearly a must in the 2nd test in SRL we didn't ? Is that a knock to the spinners who are in the new era odmf SA cricket ?
I think if you go back in history, the sub was much more batsmen friendly, for at least a few years. Still spinner friendly, but generally not the rank turners day 1. Gave our pacers something to work with regards to reverse swing. Having Steyn was a pretty big boon as well. Now we have better spinners, but still not as good as India's in those conditions, along with a generation of batsmen struggling with the spin. I mean if we gonna lay blame for bad performances its not our bowling generally; its been the batting for numerous reasons.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think if you go back in history, the sub was much more batsmen friendly, for at least a few years. Still spinner friendly, but generally not the rank turners day 1. Gave our pacers something to work with regards to reverse swing. Having Steyn was a pretty big boon as well. Now we have better spinners, but still not as good as India's in those conditions, along with a generation of batsmen struggling with the spin. I mean if we gonna lay blame for bad performances its not our bowling generally; its been the batting for numerous reasons.
Well put mate. More often than not we have to look to the batsmen to do more.

When I think back we did have to face some tough times on the sub like Sri Lanka when we suffered on 2 tours on the flattest of flat against Jayasuriya, Sangakara and Jayawardene. But then you think back when we beat them before that it was thanks to Donald/Schultz but I would just say they took the pitch out the equation and then the most recent tour before last that we won was just an all round team effort - not sure which bowler did the damage. Those tough tours to Sri Lanka were the definitely early on for Steyn/Morkel so the last tour was similar for KG/Ngidi.

India is interesting. I remember our series win when Kallis/Boucher took us home on a pitch turning absolutely square and we were chasing 130 and we just got there. Obviously Boje surprised India and along with Donald we kept bowling them out with that great batting line up and for whatever reason the Indian batting line-up then couldn't take us on as much as they do now. Then those tours we drew were interesting - mixture of flat or surprisingly helping seamers allowed us to compete with Steyn/Morkel etc The last tour was an eye opener and with modern batsmen struggling to come to terms with how to play spin with DRS it is going to be a nightmare for non-subcontinent teams for a while unless there is some serious up-skill and game plans for me. Hopefully Amla emparted some knowledge on guys who have to take us forward.

We always seemed to do well in Pakistan and UAE.

Just looking back at which batsmen of ours have done well in SRL & IND - it shows even some of our best has struggled. You got to have a special player or 2 to compete.

Kallis
IND 58.46
SRL 35.33

De Villiers
IND 45.00
SRL 42.25

Amla
IND 62.73
SRL 27.82

Cullinan
IND 53.83
SRL 41.20

Smith
SRL 44.75
IND 35.92

G.Kirsten
IND 52.33
SRL 21.83

Cronje
SRL 59.25
IND 22.13

Prince
SRL 41.25
IND 13.14

Rhodes
SRL 37.78
IND 7.00

Gibbs
IND 22.71
SRL 22.17

Elgar
SRL 22.25
IND 19.57

Du Plessis
SRL 33.50
IND 8.57

SeamUp

International Coach
Wayne Parnell signed up for Afghanistan Premier League along with Colin Ingram (who joined CPL immediately after Blast season with Glamorgan finished).

We knew that Ingram is T20 man in demand world wide but for Parnell he misses 4-day cricket for this. He is doing decently for Worcestershire in 4-day cricket & they at T20 Finals day.

Not exactly great with under 60 days for this to start

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket...yet-to-be-consulted-about-t20-league-16980705

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So Proteas will miss some of the new T20 League as they will be in Australia.
Supposedly there will be no team in Bloemfontein :mellow:

A few changes in Africa Cup T20 squads which starts tomorrow. Interesting to see what the broadcasts are with all 4 groups playing.
FS
Beyers Swanepoel out Gerald Coetzee in
Gauteng
Ryan Rickelton out Martin Coetzee in
Juan Landsberg out Thumo Thlokwe in

van der Dussen and Shamsi beat Miller in CPL semi-final and they will face Tahir's team there.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Le Roux, Burger and Mulder tearing the future of Zimbabwe apart.

Marques Ackerman at the crease for KZN C. Should be good viewing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Marques Ackerman just taking the 15th for 22 runs 72 not out off 41

Him and Eddie Moore of EP have the made 50s so far today.

SeamUp

International Coach
Remember this bloke ? https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/club-player-knock-of-490-best-day-of-my-life-20171122

Smashed 98* off 34 balls for North West against Nigeria earlier.

WP thrashed by Easterns. Paterson and Cohen good up front with the ball but Linde/Galiem disappointed with their experience. Will need 17 tear-old Jono Bird and Janneman Malan to score runs up top. Whilst Bird scored massively for SA u19 against England he also scored 50s against Northerns senior team prepping for England tour which is enouraging for one so young.

Other wins for KZN C, Gauteng, EP, NW, Northerns , Kenya, Northern Cape

Next batch of games this afternoon.

Stefan9

International Debutant
International t20 tournament won't have a team from Bloemfontein but rather Paarl.
Someone was always going to miss out with only 6 teams. Paarl are deserving with all upgrades they have been doing at the ground over the last year or so.

Personally feel bloem is more deserving then either Durban or PE.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Historically PE deserve a team; practically the town just does not give a damn and won't make anybody any money.... (about anything really, nevermind cricket).

SeamUp

International Coach
Someone was always going to miss out with only 6 teams. Paarl are deserving with all upgrades they have been doing at the ground over the last year or so.

If it is the 5 biggest cricket centres then Bloemfontein has to lose out.

Looking at the Knights franchise squad I think only Gous, Second, Kruger, McLaren and Olivier are definitely getting signed up in the draft. My defence for them and Northern Cape is the area is producing cricketers and some of our most talented one's. They lose them but they've got 2 talented players on the up in vTonder and Coetzee.

Obviously location played a part. Either for beauty/lifestyle (for overseas players) , the crowds they get and what the owners want.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Africa T20 definitely putting names forward who aren't contracted for franchises.

Marco Marais (2 100s in 2 games)
Shane Dadswell
Wesley Marshall
Jurie Snyman
Kyle Nipper
Dyllan Matthews
Delano Potgieter

to name but a few.