• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Mainly spoken about Cobras, Dolphins, Titans for pre-season.

Knights, Warriors and Lions have also been busy.

Knights currently playing Dolphins today and tomorrow in Port Shepstone

Some thoughts from Nicky Boje : Boje: Chance for youngsters to step up

Can't help but feel it could be a tough season for them. Second and Olivier will need players to step up and support more regularly.

Warriors have been keeping it local and also updated their website and are active on twitter again.

The Warriors ? Travelling and Teambuilding ? Warriors Cricket

Lions are at Sun City for team bonding and season planning and it includes KG Rabada

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket/domestic/nkwes-highveld-lions-wraps-up-pre-season-camps-16796095

B.Fortuin, R.Hendricks, Staff, Mulder

B.Hendricks, Rabada, Mosehle, Valli

D.Hendricks, Alexander, Siboto, Phangiso

Coaches x 2 , Ramela, Rickelton

Lubbe & M.Pretorius

SeamUp

International Coach
Dolphins beat Knights in the 50-over game yesterday. Vaughn van Jaarsveld 110 with Cody Chetty & Andile Phehlukwayo with 30s to suppoer. Zuma (2) & Subrayen (3) the main wicket takers for the Dolphins.

Tabraiz Shamsi joined up again for CPL and here was his celebration from a wicket

SeamUp

International Coach
SA captain Faf having a few words with new boy on the block Wandile Makwetu at Titans

Talking about the Titans, their Titans Bash started today.

Coaches : Andre Nel, Kruger van Wyk, Arno van Wyk & Malan Morkel (older boetie who is head of cricket at Garfontein School)

Captains : Shaun von Berg, Albie Morkel, Tony de Zorzi & Heinrich Klaasen

SeamUp

International Coach
Patrick Kruger got 102 off 56 in the T20 game for Knights v Dolphins. Things seem to click back end of last season for him. One to watch for T20 and limited overs cricket. Hits the ball far.

Dolphins were in trouble most of the innings. Muthusamy & Makhanya put on a partnership. Dry (4), McLaren (2), Olivier (2) with the wickets for Knights.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Do we pick Wiaan Mulder for the ODIs v Zim and Aus or leave him to play 4-day cricket to maybe get a test spot ? I think I want the latter.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Do we pick Wiaan Mulder for the ODIs v Zim and Aus or leave him to play 4-day cricket to maybe get a test spot ? I think I want the latter.
I agree. At the moment I think he's far better at the longer format of the game, and that's where his immediate international future should lie. Especially since we could be looking for replacements in the test team for Amla and Du Plessis before too long, and he would be an ideal replacement as the all-round option we've been missing for far too long.

But despite what we think, I suspect that he's going to play in the ODIs.

SeamUp

International Coach
I agree. At the moment I think he's far better at the longer format of the game, and that's where his immediate international future should lie. Especially since we could be looking for replacements in the test team for Amla and Du Plessis before too long, and he would be an ideal replacement as the all-round option we've been missing for far too long.

But despite what we think, I suspect that he's going to play in the ODIs.
I think you right.

The powers that be need to weigh up winning and giving opportunities at this stage too. By the comments we will be seeing more things tried v Zim & Aus and they want to be more settled for Pak/Srl

I just feel if he isn't going to bat in the top 6 are we doing him a dis-service ? The funny thing is I think his bowling has shown encouraging signs even though it isn't quite there yet for the format. But right now he is definitely more suited for FC cricket for both his main skills.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I just feel if he isn't going to bat in the top 6 are we doing him a dis-service ? The funny thing is I think his bowling has shown encouraging signs even though it isn'tquite there yet for the format. But right now he is definitely more suited for FC cricket for both his main skills.
Biggest problem with Mulder in ODI's is not his batting in the top 6 but where his bowling falls for us. He is not a strike bowler of enough quality yet, can't bowl death overs or contain so I don't know where his bowling falls within the LO structure of what we need in the team. He needs to bowl with a purpose in the LO team to become and allrounder for the team.

SeamUp

International Coach
Biggest problem with Mulder in ODI's is not his batting in the top 6 but where his bowling falls for us. He is not a strike bowler of enough quality yet, can't bowl death overs or contain so I don't know where his bowling falls within the LO structure of what we need in the team. He needs to bowl with a purpose in the LO team to become and allrounder for the team.
I certainly don't think him attempting to play little cameos is ideal though. That being said his bowling in the format definitely has a bit of work to do. I think he can drive a length and they seem to back him with yorkers. But if I had to look at his bowling in the format for the Lions 18 months ago his bowling has definitely come on. He has certainly got quicker.

But I saw an interview today with Faf Du Plessis from the cricket season launch and from that the way he mentions Wiaan Mulder I think they will be backing him big time.

SeamUp

International Coach
So Uganda replaced Ghana. Games over 14-16 Sep & 21-23 Sep

Some squads

Professionals in bold

BORDER

Gihahn Cloete
Yaseen Vallie
Jason Niemand
Christiaan Jonker
Marco Marais
Jerry Nqolo
Mcedisi Malika
Bongo Makeleni
Clayton Bosch
Aya Gqamane
Basheer Walters
Phaphama Fojela
Bamanye Xenxe

SWD

Zubayr Hamza
Niel Hornbuckle
Brendon Louw
Jason Smith
Aviwe Mgijima
Jean Du Plessis
Obus Pienaar
Yamkela Oliphant
Jaco Janse van Rensburg
Tshepo Ndwandwa
Tladi Bokako
Marcello Piedt
Brad de Villiers

FREE STATE

Andries Gous
Dilivio Ridgaard
Karabo Mogotsi
Pite van Biljon
Patrick Botha
Sean Whitehead
Beyers Swanepoel
Romano Terblanche
Corne Dry
Shadley van Schalkwyk
Eddie Leie
Thando Mnyaka
Loyiso Mdashe

GAUTENG

Temba Bavuma
Ryan Rickelton
Muhammed Mayet
Wiaan Mulder
Mangaliso Mosehle
Delano Potgieter
Nono Pongolo
Juan Landsberg
Ndumiso Mvelase
Kgaudise Molefe
Nandre Burger
Carmi Le Roux
Chad Claasen

NORTHERNS

Neil Brand
Gionne Koopman
Victor Mahlangu
Leus du Plooy
Diego Rosier
Jiveshan Pillay
Mitchell van Buuren
Rubin Hermann
Ruan De Swardt
Greg Mahlokwane
Ruben Trumpelmann
Luvuyo Nkese
Sammy Mofokeng
BOLAND

Pieter Malan
Fritz De Beer
David Bedingham
Hanno Kotze
Ferisco Adams
Cebo Tshiki
Sinalo Gobeni
Kyle Simmonds
Nkululeko Serame
Reeve Cyster
Charl Cyster
Lizaad Williams
Ziyaad Abrahams

WESTERN PROVINCE

Jono Bird
Isaac Dikgale
Andre Malan
Bonga Makhaka
Qaasim Adams
Dayyaan Galiem
George Linde
Dane Paterson
Michael Cohen
Mpilo Njoloza
3 more. Be amazed if Janneman Malan doesn't play in this as 4th pro. Dawood maybe another.

EASTERN PROVINCE

Matthew Breetzke
Edward Moore
Mathew Christensen
Lesiba Ngoepe
Kelly Smuts
Joshua van Heerden
Tian Koekemoer
Thomas Kaber
Jade De Klerk
Onke Nyaku
Solo Nqweni
Lutho Sipamla
Glenton Stuurman

KZN COASTAL

Blayde Capell
Michael Erlank
Khalipa Cele
Marques Ackerman
Senuran Muthusamy
Calvin Savage
Matthew Montgomery
Andile Phehlukwayo
Eathan Bosch
Zak Paruk
Smangaliso Nhlebela
Thula Ngcobo
Keith Dudgeon

KZN INLAND

Sarel Erwee
Cody Chetty

Grant Roelofsen
Kyle Nipper
Sohail Mahmoud
Ruhan Pretorius
Mondli Khumalo
Gareth Dukes
Sithabiso Zungu
Nduduzo Mfoza
Kerwin Mungroo
Lwandiswa Zuma

Attie Maposa

NORTHERN CAPE

Grant Mokoena
Keegan Petersen

Aubrey Swanepoel
Jacques Snyman
Patrick Kruger
Farhaan Sayanvala
Themba Maupa
Avumela Mnci
Mason Zacharia
Mtabazuko Nqam
Ottneil Baartman
Kagiso Mohale

NORTH WEST

Wihan Lubbe
Yassar Cook
Kagiso Rapulana
Shane Dadswell
Nicky van den Bergh
Ruan Haasbroek
Katleho Leokaoke
Lesego Senokwane
Johannes Diseko
Migael Pretorius
Jovaun van Wyngaardt
Brady Barends
Kevin Crowie

EASTERNS

Wesley Marshall
Jurie Snyman
Kabelo Sekhukhune
Grant Thomson
Sizwe Masondo
Felane Neo
Zwelo Ntsimbini
Aron Visser
Imran Manack
Matthew Arnold
Clayton August
Dyllan Matthews
Armandt Erasmus

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Until it is re-named we can start a new thread for the new T20 tournament that has been given the go ahead today officially.

With only 6 teams a lot of players will be missing out on a piece of the pie in SA when you include the internationals.

So your players who are particularly not big hitters and not deceptive bowlers will definitely be missing out.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans didn't let any of their contracted players play in Africa Cup because they going to that UAE T20 tournament and that is why they play the Dolphins the week before the other 4 teams start 4-day domestic.

The Titans Bash was just on.

Some of the Northerns boys warmed up for the Africa Cup no doubt and Niel Brand, Leus Du Plooy, Rubin Hermann and Ruan de Swardt impressed. All the Titans boys were involved bar CSA boys , de Bruyn, Kuhn, C.Bosch so you had Agathangelou, De Zorzi, Davids, Vandiar, Moonsamy, Klaasen, Behardien, A.Morkel, Thomson, von Berg, Dala, Hawken, Moreki, Mothoa all involved.

I think Brand scored scored 50+ in all 4/5 innings at a 130+ strike rate. So Kruger van Wyk clearly calling it.

On the Western Province squad above. The last 3 spots were for Janneman Malan (Pro), Carlos Koyana and a new name on the block Kyle Williamson. Williamson was the leading wicket-taker in the Club Premier League last season and is a leg-spinner. It's great to see club cricket still trying to get a few through because obviously it isn't what it once was. Plays for Claremont Cricket Club which is Kallis, Alan Dawson and Levi's old stomping ground - G.Kirsten and G.Smith moved there after UCT I think too and obviously Gary Kirsten's cricket academy is there.

Often heralded as the best leg-spinner in the premier league, offered plenty of rip and bounce regardless of whether pitches were conducive or not – and found some helpful lower-order runs
Being awarded a bottle of wine by Gary Kirsten for being the leading wicket taker in the Premier League

Also a few schoolboys involved.

Jono Bird & Bonga Makhaka (WP)
Matthew Montgomery (KZN C)
Mondli Khumalo (KZN I)
Kgaudise Molefe (Gauteng)
Mason Zacharia (Northern Cape)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So was just doing some digging. Williamson is a proper clubbie. He is actually 30 and same year at Wynberg as Knights cricketer Shadley van Schalkwyk and they good friends. You don't see much of this anymore but spinners are the biggest possibility. Exciting seeing new leg-spinners on the scene. Suppose after Immie, Shamsi & von Berg there are Kaber (who has moved to EP) & Junaid Dawood also of WP and on recent SA emerging tour but he got injured.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmGjL6Vlr0s/?taken-by=kyle_raoul

http://www.sacricketmag.com/wp-pick-two-schoolboys-for-africa-t20/

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder how much of the clinics in India have made a difference? As far as I'm aware it was not just for players but also coaches. And vice-versa for the fast bowling. A concerted effort was made by both boards.