• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

GRAB

First Class Debutant
I'm bloody happy with this Mulder selection. Phehlukwayo and Morris aren't good enough for test cricket. The big suprise is Klassen. I guess they've seen enough.
How is it surprising? Even before the injury, de Kock was failing and Klaasen was piling runs on domestically... De Kock's injury meant Klaasen got a foot in the door, and he's look totally comfortable at the next level...

SeamUp

International Coach
Nice runs by von Berg and support by Siboto. Another double strike by Olivier too. Wonder why he didn't bowl more in first innings.

Handscomb really struggling.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Selections could be interesting with Bavuma, de Bruyn, QdK, Klaasen.
Maybe even Mulder? It would be a brave move, and is possibly still too early for him, but if Gibson wants to persist with four quicks then he has to play.

Bolo

State Captain
Can anyone rate and or describe Mulder's bowling? Batsman who can turn his arm or allrounder potential in tests?

SeamUp

International Coach
Maybe even Mulder? It would be a brave move, and is possibly still too early for him, but if Gibson wants to persist with four quicks then he has to play.
You never know. They not picking him to fill up numbers that is for sure and with Gibson's past said strategy you may be right.

Can anyone rate and or describe Mulder's bowling? Batsman who can turn his arm or allrounder potential in tests?
His bowling has kept developing. He has got quicker than when he first started professional cricket. Got an action that is repeatable so with bowling time will be consistent in driving a good length which is prefect for a 5th bowler in a test team. He is rather skiddy too due to his height. Results wise his bowling seemed to have more importance initially too with each level he has gone up but no doubt his batting is his stronger quality. It's the type of all-rounder we've been crying out for since the big JK retired but we got to remember he only turned 20 a few days ago.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You never know. They not picking him to fill up numbers that is for sure and with Gibson's past said strategy you may be right.

His bowling has kept developing. He has got quicker than when he first started professional cricket. Got an action that is repeatable so with bowling time will be consistent in driving a good length which is prefect for a 5th bowler in a test team. He is rather skiddy too due to his height. Results wise his bowling seemed to have more importance initially too with each level he has gone up but no doubt his batting is his stronger quality. It's the type of all-rounder we've been crying out for since the big JK retired but we got to remember he only turned 20 a few days ago.
Mulder reminds me of the great Brian McMillan.... which would be fantastic for SA.

With Gibsons want for an allrounder Mulder may get picked, but in all likelihood I expect the 7/4 split with Bavuma back at 6 and QDK at 7.

Bolo

State Captain
Is bavuma still out of the first test? This would leave a spot for de bruyn or mulder, playing 7/4 with ngidi and Morkel a bit of a coin flip, but ngidi needed to hit quota numbers.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Is bavuma still out of the first test? This would leave a spot for de bruyn or mulder, playing 7/4 with ngidi and Morkel a bit of a coin flip, but ngidi needed to hit quota numbers.
There should be no need for quota numbers they should be well ahead at this stage.

Bavuma is touch and go for the first test last I heard.

Dendarii

International Debutant
There should be no need for quota numbers they should be well ahead at this stage.
I've been trying to keep track of the quota numbers, and if I've done it correctly they're doing better than required in terms of black players, but have played too many white players as there have been some tests where they've had six or even seven white players.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's quite promising that Bancroft's 1st innings was made up almost entirely of edges through the slips

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice of Starc also to bounce the sh*t out of Mulder and bully him. I'm sure if he plays the 1st test this sort of behaviour won't persist.

Bolo

State Captain

Bavuma is touch and go for the first test last I heard.
Without ngidi or bavuma in the side quotas are an issue in that game. Bavuma's replacement may perform that game and keep bavuma out for the series. Then Steyn is possibly coming back, compounding the problem. Any of the front-line non- whites get injured, still more problems.

We can possibly go the route of loading the limited overs sides with quota players- it's not technically in violation of targets, but there may be some blowback.

If we ignore the limited overs cheat, playing ngidi is the way to go. Quotas aside, I'd probably rather play Morkel in the first test, but it's not at all clear this is the right call. Trying to play catch-up by fielding players like Andile is definitely going to hurt team strength, but this is a bit of a coin flip.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I've been trying to keep track of the quota numbers, and if I've done it correctly they're doing better than required in terms of black players, but have played too many white players as there have been some tests where they've had six or even seven white players.
Only game I recall there being "too many" white players was during the one india test were steyn was fit.

Without ngidi or bavuma in the side quotas are an issue in that game. Bavuma's replacement may perform that game and keep bavuma out for the series. Then Steyn is possibly coming back, compounding the problem. Any of the front-line non- whites get injured, still more problems.

We can possibly go the route of loading the limited overs sides with quota players- it's not technically in violation of targets, but there may be some blowback.

If we ignore the limited overs cheat, playing ngidi is the way to go. Quotas aside, I'd probably rather play Morkel in the first test, but it's not at all clear this is the right call. Trying to play catch-up by fielding players like Andile is definitely going to hurt team strength, but this is a bit of a coin flip.
Hardly a cheat...No distinction is made between the formats, its all games by the national side per year averaged. They should be well ahead as they have had more then the required on more then a few occasions in the odi's or t20's.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Only game I recall there being "too many" white players was during the one india test were steyn was fit.
Beside Steyn in the first one, Markram, Elgar, De Villiers, Du Plessis, De Kock, and Morkel played in all the India tests. Also, all the tests against England except the first and most of the matches in the Champions Trophy had more than five white players.

Hardly a cheat...No distinction is made between the formats, its all games by the national side per year averaged. They should be well ahead as they have had more then the required on more then a few occasions in the odi's or t20's.
While they have had more than the required number of non-white players, I don't think it's enough to account for the times they've had too few. But obviously don't take my numbers as gospel.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
They are quite clearly making up quota numbers in the T20 and ODI's.... but they are also not just making up numbers, giving opportunity to 'white' players that you are surprised about even if they kinda shown some form. eg. Smuts and Jonker. While the quotas are important it is also clear you play well enough you have a shot, regardless of colour, it is just that players of colour that perform get preference and are possibily pushed to early, i.e. Ngidi and Phehlukwayo.

SeamUp

International Coach
Mulder reminds me of the great Brian McMillan.... which would be fantastic for SA.

With Gibsons want for an allrounder Mulder may get picked, but in all likelihood I expect the 7/4 split with Bavuma back at 6 and QDK at 7.
I would love for another McMillan in the SA set-up.

Probably under-rated too much around here. Was definitely the best test all-rounder for a period of time in the 90s and also a batting all-rounder which are preferable in test cricket.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I would love for another McMillan in the SA set-up.

Probably under-rated too much around here. Was definitely the best test all-rounder for a period of time in the 90s and also a batting all-rounder which are preferable in test cricket.
I suspect there are two reasons for that. One is that he wasn't able to have as long a test career as he should have had because of isolation, and the other is that he's overshadowed by the exploits of the all-rounders who followed him - there's a little bit of an overlap, but essentially as his international career ended Kallis, Pollock, and Klusener's started.

Bolo

State Captain

It's not technically against their guidlines, but it is very clearly a legal cheat. Nobody gives a damn about T20 results. If we fielded an all black T20 side and an all white test side we'd see the guidelines being changed very fast.

There's a bit of wiggle room, but who knows how much?

A pure merit test side without injuries is either 6 or 7 white players, depending on if someone steps up to replace bavuma. If we were consistently playing 7 whites and only 1 black, I think it would cause issues irrespective of the LO composition.

The selectors are definitely thinking this way too. See Andile vs India 3rd Test.

This is a massive series for us. We definitely don't want to be comprising before the series is settled, regardless of what compromises we need to make later to catch-up. It's just not so clear that Ngidi is a compromise, particularly considering how bad Morkel has been vs Australia.

Anyway, I'm not fussed which route they go in the first test. With Andile and Morris out, the selectors have already done their job properly in my book.

SeamUp

International Coach
I suspect there are two reasons for that. One is that he wasn't able to have as long a test career as he should have had because of isolation, and the other is that he's overshadowed by the exploits of the all-rounders who followed him - there's a little bit of an overlap, but essentially as his international career ended Kallis, Pollock, and Klusener's started.
Yes and of course him and Kallis were more alike as batting all-rounders. It was crazy we had them all at once at the end of Big Mac's career.

Think McMillan only got his test debut at 29 but played some rebel stuff before. Quality player. 3-in-one for test cricket. I haven't seen many better slippers.