• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

SeamUp

International Coach
Dale Steyn will most probably go past Shaun Pollock as our all-time leading test wicket-taker vs Zimbabwe but if not it should be here.

Yup, excited about Steyn's return.

I reckon he has a possibility of playing 29 more tests but it will probably be unlikely he plays all of them.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm in no position to outright disagree with your assertion of course, but 29 tests? Love Dale and his passion for the game but geez, - don't think he'll get remotely close to that. So hope that I can look back at this post in 3 years time and be proved wrong.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm in no position to outright disagree with your assertion of course, but 29 tests? Love Dale and his passion for the game but geez, - don't think he'll get remotely close to that. So hope that I can look back at this post in 3 years time and be proved wrong.
Yeah it is unlikely but possible. To me there is 29 tests before I reckon the 32,33, 34 year-olds in the SA team retire.

Steyn playing all 29 is probably less likely because they will manage his work load but if no re-occurrence happens with his shoulder everything else will be fine because he is probably one of the fittest blokes around. Whether it is surfing, walking his dog and fishing - he is doing it every day he can so he keeps busy.

This is our test schedule. I reckon they will want to end with a marquee series after the world cup.

Home : Zimbabwe (1)
Home : India (3)
Home : Australia (4)

Away : Sri Lanka (3)

Home : Zimbabwe (1)
Home : Pakistan (3)
Home : Sri Lanka (3)

ICC CRICKET WORLD CUP 2019

Away : Zimbabwe (2)
Away : India (4)

Home : England (5)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
So excited - this series genuinely has everything! 2 quality pace attacks, match-winning spinners on either side and some outrageously good batsman to watch. And Dale and AB of course

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man this series is going to be the bomb. Good thing it will start in January because it was going to easily overshadow the one-sided 5-0 Ashes going on now.

India's pace attack is the best we've seen in years, perhaps decades. Right behind Australia/South Africa, maybe on par with England (a tad better maybe when considering the 3rd and 4th seamers). Shami, Umesh and Bhuvi should be the first choice. I know Umesh has splayed it in the past but he has been excellent in the last year. Bowled some tidy spells against England and Australia. He can do a Sreesanth 06.

And most importantly, the eventual return of the greatest fast bowler of our times. It's been so long now. Yeah sure Rabada is amazing and Philander takes wickets but there's only one King Dale.
This is easily the best pace attack India have ever had imo.

Thats also not saying much though.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think India will probably consider Ishant for his bounce especially with the 3 pitches being played on.

Burner

International Regular
I really hope this series is as electric as it promises to be on paper. A lot of India's chances ride on Shami imo. I rate him higher than the other choices but he has a knack of getting injured every other match.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Steyn playing all 29 is probably less likely because they will manage his work load but if no re-occurrence happens with his shoulder everything else will be fine because he is probably one of the fittest blokes around. Whether it is surfing, walking his dog and fishing - he is doing it every day he can so he keeps busy.
He might want to reconsider that one following Philander's recent injury...

Dendarii

International Debutant
Especially as it's becoming a jinx if you include Quinny's innocuous injury too... :D
Indeed. Although don't both Philander and De Kock own more than one dog from which their injuries resulted? Maybe Cricket SA need to consider putting a limit on dog ownership.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it is unlikely but possible. To me there is 29 tests before I reckon the 32,33, 34 year-olds in the SA team retire.

This is our test schedule. I reckon they will want to end with a marquee series after the world cup.
I'm actually a lot more hopeful that he can play at least a majority of those games as long as he is fully recovered from this injury. Throughout his career, he has been extremely fit and quite injury free which is why he never had any major injury scares until 2015. Missed a game here and there but overall, you never saw him out of the game for months. His body is generally quite strong and equipped for fast bowling.

His one major injury is what kept him out for 2 years but I'm hoping it's not a thing of the past. If that is the case, hopefully he can play for another 2-3 years.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
So excited - this series genuinely has everything! 2 quality pace attacks, match-winning spinners on either side and some outrageously good batsman to watch. And Dale and AB of course
The only thing I would say both teams lack is a good all-rounder.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Hardik ****ing Pandya man. What the hell are you talking about? Guy was rested against Sri Lanka just for these overseas tours of 2018.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't have that many hopes for Hardik, will be viewing everything positive he does as a bonus.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Pandya may or may not be the standout player in this series and he's only just started test cricket but I think he has a very high ceiling. Has all the ingredients of a solid all rounder and with player management and fitness that is a key focus of this management, he we will be looked after unlike Kapil Dev.

Spark

Global Moderator
Something amazing/hilarious/both always tends to happen in this series. Very much looking forward to it.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Indeed. Although don't both Philander and De Kock own more than one dog from which their injuries resulted? Maybe Cricket SA need to consider putting a limit on dog ownership.
Dale also has two. One golden retriever and one border collie. They feature on a lot of his Instagram vids.