• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Figuring out the most impressive individual performances during a test series ever

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moeen's series got me thinking. Mainly, the fact somebody posted in the England/SA thread that it's weird that the 250run/25 wicket metric is being thrown around because a wicket is definitely worth more than 10 runs. How much is it worth though? 20? 25? 20 seems fair, because a 5 fer = 100 and they are the 2 main bowling and batting milestones.

If we convert these to 'points', then who has had the most impressive series ever. I know this heavily benefits longer test series, but bear with me.

Syd Barnes' 49 wicket 1913/14 series just beats out Bradman's 974 run 1930 series. Bradman got no wickets and Barnes only scored 9 runs, but his total points were therefore 989 to 974

Hammond didn't do too much bowling in the 28/29 series, but his 5 wickets combined with 905 runs was enough to edge him out to 1005 points

Shane Warne in Ashes '05 scored 249 runs to go with his 40 wickets, giving him 1049 points using this scale. A mighty effort.

Anyway, what are some interesting ones? My four examples were all 5 match series. Maybe we could use a 1.25x and 1.5x multiplier for 4 and 3 match series, and see what we can come up with?

I know fielding should probably also factor, but I dunno what to make a catch worth. 10 points?

Last edited:

mr_mister

688 runs in 3 tests. damn. Add the 1.5x multiplier and we get 1032 points, right up there.

mr_mister

The current top 5:

Warne - 1049
Lara - 1032
Hammond -1005
Barnes - 989
Bradman - 974

I'm sure a member of the big four 80s allrounders, or maybe Faulker or Miller could give this a fair shake

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson with 165 runs and 37 wickets at 13.97 in 2013-14. Comes out to 905. That rather understates the influence he had on the series.

Average should be factored in somehow for bowlers.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bhajji in 2001 India - Australia.
32 out of 50 Aussie dismissals in that series! Surely has to be some sort of record in terms of percentage, though I'm sure Murali would also have a few of those types of series to his name.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
In the 1982/83 series against India, Imran scored 247 runs at an average of 61.75, and had 40 wickets at 13.95 with four five wicket hauls, as well as taking 4 catches.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
In the 1981 Ashes series, Botham scored 399 runs at 36.27 with two centuries, and had 34 wickets at 20.58 with three five wicket hauls, as well as taking 12 catches.

a massive zebra

International Captain
BTW cricinfo says that Barnes played only 4 matches in the mentioned series.
Barnes pulled out of the fifth Test in protest at the authorities refusal to pay for his wife’s accommodation.

If we are looking at performances per Test, Graham Gooch got 752 runs at an average of 125.33 in 3 Tests against India in 1990 and George Lohmann got 35 wickets at 5.80 in 3 Tests against South Africa in 1895/96.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Faulkner has 1125

In the 1909/10 series against England Aubrey Faulkner scored 545 runs (at 60.55) and took 29 wickets (21.89). He scored almost 300 runs more than anyone else on his team, with no one else averaging more than mid-30s, and was one of only two bowlers (Bert Vogler being the other) to get more than 4 wickets. Not 4 wickets in a match, 4 wickets in the series. This was the first time SA beat a full strength England side that included Hobbs, Woolley, Rhodes and Blythe.

a massive zebra

International Captain
In the 24/25 Ashes series, Maurice Tate got 155 runs at 17.22 and took 38 wickets at 23.18 with five five wicket hauls, in addition to taking 1 catch.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Decided to be less lazy and wrote a code for calculating the numbers, here are the top 20 - Top20.JPG