• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does AB De Villiers need achieve to surpass Viv Richards as the ODI's greatest

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never said he wasn't great? Just not as great as Ponting.

And its really not that skewed by his first few years. He literally only had 2 years before 2010 where he averaged over 40.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Before you tell me about easy to bat era, I'll show you a stat(I've developed with my friend) that cuts across eras. What's shocking in this stat is that ABD is number 2 despite coming in at 4/5. It's called contribution percentage to the match. It takes all runs a player X scored in his matches divided by total runs in all those matches including opposition runs and multiply by 100 to give you an idea of how much player x scored compared to his peers in his career.

Amla is number 1 at 9.7%
ABD is number 2 at 9.3%
Viv Richards is number 3 at 9.1%
Dean Jones is number 5 at 9.0%
Tendulkar is number 4 at 8.97%

Followed by Virat 8.85 etc, Ponting is not even in the top 10

The list continues with kallis, Clarke, MSD, Bevan then Hussey! Your Ponting is nowhere to be found! He never made major contribution
You do realize that if I included all your big names (According to that stat) in the same team they will no longer be the big names in that stat?
Also you do realize that Ponting played for what was by far among the best two ODI teams ever and had possibly the strongest batting line up ever?

Burner

International Regular
Sangakkara was a good ODI player but he really doesn't belong in the GOAT discussion. Apart from his final year, he's never really dominated games.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanga was just part of a weaker team. He made lots of runs after the first three years. Even made runs in world cup and key odi games for Lanka. Was definitely better than Dhoni as was better out of Asia.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You guys are just twisting his stats to say he is not as good. Saying he averaged 36 in first ten years or that he had only two years averaging 40 before 2010.

srbhkshk

International Captain
You guys are just twisting his stats to say he is not as good. Saying he averaged 36 in first ten years or that he had only two years averaging 40 before 2010.
In spite of playing out a portion of his career in better batting environment compared to Ponting, Sanga still has inferior stats, (he also has less innings of note imo , but that's irrelevant). Therefore Sanga, even though he is a great ODI player is not as good as Ponting. No one's saying he is not good.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I meant 2015 only. It was a comment to show the before 2010 argument was twisted but trust you to not get it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In spite of playing out a portion of his career in better batting environment compared to Ponting, Sanga still has inferior stats, (he also has less innings of note imo , but that's irrelevant). Therefore Sanga, even though he is a great ODI player is not as good as Ponting. No one's saying he is not good.
I am not arguing Ponting is less than Sanga. Ponting wins. However Australia did have good batting conditions actually during Ponting's time.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I am not arguing Ponting is less than Sanga. Ponting wins. However Australia did have good batting conditions actually during Ponting's time.
I don't think anyone is actually claiming Sanga is not good, just that he isn't quite as good as the other names being mentioned here.