• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of Test Cricket

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Will be interesting if PEWS or Howe or one of our resident nerds find the time to do this exercise based on the last series results - both home and away- for all the test teams. It will give us a truer picture of the best side in the world right now, I feel.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Will be interesting if PEWS or Howe or one of our resident nerds find the time to do this exercise based on the last series results - both home and away- for all the test teams. It will give us a truer picture of the best side in the world right now, I feel.
How many series are to be looked at?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The last series home and away between each of the test playing nations. I recall your spreadsheet has the last series home or away. We will need both to make this work. Maybe a google sheet that we can share and update?

srbhkshk

International Captain
Just realized that there is no reason to not include losses in the calculations, so gave -4 for home loss and -2 for away loss (should it be -3 ?)
HA_adjusted.JPG

Skemp90

Cricket Spectator
Thank you all for your comments, some great points made in here and as much as anything, I think that the important thing here is that we are discussing the matter. No problem gets solved without talking about it and whatever your perception is on the future of Test Cricket, hopefully the documentary raised some valid talking points and covered some of the grey areas of the game. The Olympics in particular has really got people talking and although this doesn't directly relate to Test Cricket my personal view point is that if it gets more people playing the game in one way shape or form it can only be a good thing. Admittedly like others have said, it wouldn't be a major Olympic Sport initially, however it would be bringing the game back to free to air television and giving it to more people which is something we would hopefully see the benefits from in years to come. I am pleased to see all of the comments in the thread, its great to get people talking about this subject whatever your stance may be :)

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks like a test champiosnhip to be confirmed this week.

Interesting to see point break-downs etc

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Still cannot believe these people stripping the number of tests to bare bones two test or even one test 'series' and then claiming not enough 'relevance and context'. YOU JUST TOOK ALL THE RELEVANCE AND CONTEXT! Sorry for the all caps but I really cannot handle this illogic.

"There are a lot of variables but it's not unrealistic that $50,000 could be lost across a test match," Barclay said.
Is that really all we're talking? If it was ten or twenty times that then that might be a genuine problem, but ****, $50k per test to keep the country's core cricket supporters engaged with the game is a pittance.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Really sad reading this thread. Seems if there's no money to be made, there's no cricket to be played. Normally I'd be fully psyched for a 'test championship' but this isn't the case considering how it's shaping up thus far. Think I'll vomit if I see a 4 day 1 test 'series' come to pass.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Still cannot believe these people stripping the number of tests to bare bones two test or even one test 'series' and then claiming not enough 'relevance and context'. YOU JUST TOOK ALL THE RELEVANCE AND CONTEXT! Sorry for the all caps but I really cannot handle this illogic.

Is that really all we're talking? If it was ten or twenty times that then that might be a genuine problem, but ****, $50k per test to keep the country's core cricket supporters engaged with the game is a pittance.
I wonder how they calculate that figure, as well. Is the test match proportion of tv rights taken into account?

Either way, it’s a very profit-orientated view of the game which excludes so many other factors it’s not funny.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

There's another article that says NZ loses 500,000 per test

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Is there? I haven't seen it.

If they're really losing a flat $4M on hosting 8 tests in a season then it would give pause for thought, though I'd assume the $50k quoted in the most recent article is straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I wonder where all that money goes to. It's not like match officials or groundsmen are paid exceedingly well. Does it really cost that much to rent out the ground?