• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another cricketing myth

neville cardus

International Debutant
I played a game on matting last weekend. It was fast and springy, and to that extent a poor fit for my legbreaks, so I took instead to ripping a few top-spinners. It went well, but I was slightly irritated by the praise it won me. The umpire compared my style to that of Kumble and Afridi: "minimal turn, but loads of bounce." Which got me thinking: When did it become generally accepted that spin isn't spin unless it spins sideways?

Spark

Global Moderator
It's far easier to tell when a ball has spun sideways compared to subtle changes in trajectory when a ball dips and pitches a metre short of where you expected.

Funnily enough, it's always the bowlers who bowl those sorts of deliveries who always get panned as taking "cheap" and "jammy" wickets, as if beating a batsman in flight and making them play loose shots then they aren't to the pitch isn't the most pivotal job of a spinner.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lets not forget that its not apparently a "skill" when bowlers get the ball to land cross seam as spinners so that they wont turn when it misses the seam or else turns at varying quantities based on how much of the seam hits the pitch. Not like the length and line and revs are important in such cases, as well as the level of precision in the release and trajectory whence you get the dip and bounce. Ashwin explained it to Boria Majumdar in an interview. Pretty sure there is a youtube link for it.

EDIT: Its all "natural variation" of course. If it was so natural, why can't the visiting spinners do the same just as often to the SC sides. :)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funnily enough, it's always the bowlers who bowl those sorts of deliveries who always get panned as taking "cheap" and "jammy" wickets, as if beating a batsman in flight and making them play loose shots then they aren't to the pitch isn't the most pivotal job of a spinner.
Spark you never told us you were Nathan Lyon?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Lets not forget that its not apparently a "skill" when bowlers get the ball to land cross seam as spinners so that they wont turn when it misses the seam or else turns at varying quantities based on how much of the seam hits the pitch. Not like the length and line and revs are important in such cases, as well as the level of precision in the release and trajectory whence you get the dip and bounce. Ashwin explained it to Boria Majumdar in an interview. Pretty sure there is a youtube link for it.
EDIT: Its all "natural variation" of course. If it was so natural, why can't the visiting spinners do the same just as often to the SC sides. :)
If you can find that interview, I'd very much like to see it.

cnerd123

likes this
I played a game on matting last weekend. It was fast and springy, and to that extent a poor fit for my legbreaks, so I took instead to ripping a few top-spinners. It went well, but I was slightly irritated by the praise it won me. The umpire compared my style to that of Kumble and Afridi: "minimal turn, but loads of bounce." Which got me thinking: When did it become generally accepted that spin isn't spin unless it spins sideways?
Yessss

I'm a big fan of the 'spinners should spin the ball' mentality, but topspinners and backspinners are every bit as good. And much more likely to get you wickets at lower levels of club cricketer. Slog-happy batsmen think you're just bowling straight breaks and end up miscuing shots repeatedly.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Yessss
I'm a big fan of the 'spinners should spin the ball' mentality, but topspinners and backspinners are every bit as good. And much more likely to get you wickets at lower levels of club cricketer. Slog-happy batsmen think you're just bowling straight breaks and end up miscuing shots repeatedly.
They're also poor judges of flight, which makes the dipping toppie a lethal thing.