• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My 2016 Test XI

jonbrooks

International Debutant
1) Warner
2) Azhar Ali
3) Root
4) Kohli
5) Smith
6) Bairstow
7) Ashwin
8) Starc
9) Herath/Broad
10) Wagner
11) Rabada

Between Bairstow, Starc and Ashwin the all rounder position is covered adequately. Kohli pushes Smith to number 5. Depending on conditions I'd go for Broad or Herath at 9.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair effort, can't argue too much

While Warner easily makes a current Best Test XI, his 2016 was actually pretty ordinary in Tests

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Fair effort, can't argue too much

While Warner easily makes a current Best Test XI, his 2016 was actually pretty ordinary in Tests
I thought he was OK till I saw his stats which forced me to include him in the XI:

N Wagner (NZ) 9 17 320.1 74 863 41 6/41 8/103 21.04 2.69 46.8 3 0

From the top 10 bowlers this year his average and strike rate is second only to Herath and Starc respectively. Plus I can't think of any other number eleven who's played better than him this year.

Edit: I thought you said Wagner! I'll leave this as is as it's interesting reading anyway. :-)

Edit 2: Warner's late form made it for me

Last edited:

vcs

Azhar Ali
Tamim
Root
Kohli (c)
Smith
Stokes
De Kock (wk)
Ashwin
Philander
Herath
Starc

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Azhar Ali
Tamim guy only played 2 tests so I can't see how you can select him
Root
Kohli (c)
Smith
Stokes
De Kock (wk) He'd be my backup keeper. Reason being is he only played 8 tests while Bairstow played 17
Ashwin
Philander Same as de Kock
Herath
Starc
Some comments in line otherwise good selection.

vcs

Yeah, fair points there. I just think balance-wise, this team would go really well. Pretty much all bases covered for all conditions.

Tamim is unconventional, could have chosen Warner probably. I think an attacking opener would work well alongside Azhar Ali. Philander's batting would push him above Wagner, Rabada or Abbott. Bairstow very unlucky to miss out, but De Kock for the #intent I guess.