• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst tails ever

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Also Australia mid 80s if the likes of Dave Gilbert, Merv Hughes (pre '88), Bruce Reid and Dutchy Holland all played together
In the Perth Test of 84/85 Hogg infamously completely took his eyes off the ball to be bowled by a full toss... and he was in at 9 ahead of Rackemann & Alderman!

Also around Australia for the mid-80s was Simon Davis for one Test who Steve Waugh once described as the worst batsman he'd ever seen.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Pakistan's tail in Australia of Yasir Shah and three rank #11s was absolutely putrid on paper, but then Yasir hit the meme ton.
A slightly better tail in NZL would have resulted in a draw in the first Test. Only needed to survive another 4 overs I think, but way too much for that tail.

tony p

First Class Debutant
The Indian tail in the mid 70s was ordinary, Bedi, Chandra & Prasanna, three walking wickets.

At county level, Gloucestershire had a horrible tail in 1954, Nos8-11, Rochford, the reserve wkt keeper, Wells, Cook & McHugh, fortunately only played 5 matches together, they combined for the riches of 26 inns, 6no, 80 runs, avg 4. That included an innings of 32 by Wells.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Yes, Rochford (FC av 5.26), Wells (7.47), Cook (5.41) and McHugh (2.63) is hard to beat as a weak tail, even allowing for the 50s being a lower-scoring era.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
8. Rajitha (4.15)
9. Jayasuriya (3.75)
10. Fernardo (3.60)
11. Kumar (3.29)

Rajitha taking advantage of his promition so far by flogging Tickner around though.

Ali TT

International Debutant
8. Rajitha (4.15)
9. Jayasuriya (3.75)
10. Fernardo (3.60)
11. Kumar (3.29)

Rajitha taking advantage of his promition so far by flogging Tickner around though.
Added 83 for the last 4 wickets, so not a bad result for that group!

Even though the likes of Harmer, Janssen and Maharaj are all adequate tail-enders, when you stick Harmer or Janssen at 7, Maharaj at 8 followed by Rabada, Nortje and Ngidi that becomes a very long, very bad tail.

subshakerz

International Coach
Was watching Funky Miller hit his 43 against the Windies back in '99 and before he got going Hookes described the Australian tail as "4 blokes who should all be at 11"

to his credit he was barely exaggerating (I miss Hooksey, such fun commentary)

Adam Dale
Stuart MacGill
Funky Miller
Glen McGrath

I found this especially funny because around this time you had players like Warne, Reiffel, Dizzy, Bichel and Lee hovering around the team and they were generally solid batsmen with only McGrath being constantly hapless thru the era. Can see why they didn't want to stick with this set up for too long

What are some other terrible tails like this?

I feel if Mullally, Tufnell and Malcolm ever played a test together they'd be a shout
You didnt see the WI tail then?

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
England's 8,9,10 & jack in this match. (particularly the 9,10 & 11). Close thread

4th Test: England v New Zealand at The Oval, Aug 19-22, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
This one beats it:

Full Scorecard of England vs Australia 6th Test 1993 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

Fraser (7)
Watkin (5)
Such (6)
Malcolm (6)

Career test batting averages in brackets.

Edit: No, yours does actually beat mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tufnell got into double figures 3 times in 59 innings, and he's 0.5 away from having the 3rd worst average in that team.

Last edited:

Flametree

International 12th Man
I can't find a particular scorecard but I recall the early 2000s West Indies side's 9-11 would be made up of three of Collins, Collymore, Walsh, Reon King, Cuffy, Lawson, Sanford or Stuart... Merv Dillon was a regular number 8 with his average of 8.5.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
I can't find a particular scorecard but I recall the early 2000s West Indies side's 9-11 would be made up of three of Collins, Collymore, Walsh, Reon King, Cuffy, Lawson, Sanford or Stuart... Merv Dillon was a regular number 8 with his average of 8.5.
Wow, that bowling attack had really dropped off by then!