• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test runs draft(not to exceed 30k) voting thread!

Vote for the best 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Teams(thanks watson for formatting this):

Steve's (unnamed) XI
01. Sir Len Hutton
02. David Warner
03. Barry Richards
04. Viv Richards (6)
05. Duleepsinhji
06. Brad Hodge (5)
07. Quinton de Kock +
08. Kapil Dev (2)
09. Peter Pollock (1)
10. Abdul Qadir (4)
11. Kagiso Rabada (3)

J_C
01. Jimmy Cook
02. Herbie Taylor
03. Brian Lara
04. Martin Crowe (c)
05. Stan McCabe 5
06. Ajinkya Rahane
07. Billy Murdoch +
08. Malcolm Marshall 1
09. Hugh Tayfield 4
10. Joel Garner 3
11. Glenn McGrath 2

Morgieb
01. Sid Barnes
02. Bill Lawry
03. Rohan Kanhai
04. Greg Chappell
05. Andy Flower +
06. Stuart Law
07. Mike Procter
08. Richie Benaud (c)
09. Allan Donald
10. Waqar Younis
11. Bruce Reid

Watson
01. Bob Simpson 6
02. Trevor Goddard 5
03. Ted Dexter 7
04. Peter May (c)
05. Neil Harvey
06. Basil D'Oliveira 8
07. Denis Lindsay +
08. Maurice Tate 3
09. Dale Steyn 2
10. Dennis Lillee 1
11. Bill O'Reilly 4

The Festivus for the rest of us XI
01. Herbert Sutcliffe
02. Stewie Dempster
03. Steve Smith
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Damien Martyn
06. Brendon McCullum + (c)
07. Chris Cairns
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Jim Laker
10. Shane Bond
11. Neil Adcock

The Striped Ungulates
01. Bruce Mitchell
02. Glenn Turner
03. Wally Hammond (6)
04. Virat Kohli (c)
05. Clyde Walcott (w)
06. Vijay Hazare (7)
07. Aubrey Faulkner (5)
08. Ravichandran Ashwin (4)
09. Harold Larwood (2)
10. Frank Tyson (1)
11. Shoaib Akhtar (3)

AndrewB
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Victor Trumper
03. Ranjitsinhji
04. Keith Miller (4)
05. Stanley Jackson* (7)
06. Tony Greig (6)
07. Alan Knott+
08. Jack Gregory (3)
09. Johnny Wardle (5)
10. Colin Croft (1)
11. Sydney Barnes (2)

Kingkallis
01. Jack Hobbs
02. Arthur Morris
03. Kane Williamson
04. Doug Walters 6
05. Douglas Jardine (c)
06. Charles Macartney 5
07. BJ Watling +
08. Shaun Pollock 2
09. Andy Roberts 3
10. Fred Trueman 1
11. Clarrie Grimmett 4

Slim's Jims
01. WG Grace (5)
02. Pieter van der Bijl+
03. Hashim Amla
04. Everton Weekes
05. Misbah-ul-Haq*
06. Michael Bevan (7)
07. Ian Botham (3)
08. Lance Klusener (6)
09. Anil Kumble (4)
10. Ryan Harris (2)
11. Wes Hall (1)

Bums on seats XI
01. Virender Sehwag
02. Phil Jaques
03. Archie Jackson
04. Patsy Hendren
05. AB De Villiers (wk)
06. Monty Noble (c)
07. Gilbert Jessop
08. Wasim Akram
09. Mitchell Johnson
10. Jeff Thomson
11. Tich Freeman

Honest Hunks
01. Jack Fingleton
02. Eddie Barlow (5)
03. Eddie Paynter (9)
04. Sir Frank Worrell (c) (8)
05. Gary Sobers (4)
06. Angelo Mathews (6)
07. Adam Gilchrist +
08. Heath Streak (3)
09. Yasir Shah (7)
10. JJ Ferris (2)
11. George Lohmann (1)

Slifer
01. Bill Ponsford
02. Conrad Hunte
03. George Headley
04. Ken Barrington
05. Denis Compton
06. Colin Bland
07. Les Ames +
08. Ray Lindwall (1)
09. Shane Warne (4)
10. Ian Bishop (2)
11. Bill Johnston (3)

Mr_mister
01. Bill Woodfull *
02. Saeed Anwar
03. Joe Root
04. Dudley Nourse
05. Javed Miandad
06. Imran Khan (2)
07. Don Tallon +
08. Alan Davidson (1)
09. Hedley Verity (5)
10. Alec Bedser (4)
11. Bob Willis (3)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
so tough, so many damn good teams

I'll go King Kallis(the man knows how to draft), J_C and AndrewB. Sorry festivus for the rest of us your team is great too

watson

Banned
Just my opinion, and a bit of fun. There wasn't a team that I didn't like, but I have pick something......

Steve's: Barry Richard's at No.3 looks a little odd, but otherwise the team features an attractive batting line-up with a stack of runs in it. The bowling seems a little light though with Rabada being relatively inexperienced and Hodge not being the greatest 5th option.

J_C: Probably the strongest bowling quartet on show, but somewhat hampered by a keeper with limited Test match experience behind the stumps - only one game in 1882. The opening combination is OK, but Lara-Crowe-McCabe in the middle-order is all class.

Morgieb: This is a cracking team with Flower's keeping and Law's inexperience being the only minor blemishes. Good luck to the opposing batting line-up because they'll need it.

Festivus: A great side with a ton of fire-power in both batting and bowling. Not so sure about the dubious activities of Cairns, but you can forgive a multitude of sins if he fires-up along with Pollock, Martyn, McCullum, Hadlee and Laker.

Massive Zebra: One of the most extreme attacks I've seen with two slow spinners, three really fastest bowlers, and not much in-between. The batting is a really nice blend of the pugnacious and the classical.

Andrew: Possibly a quality batsman short with Miller at No.4. But the bowling line-up is as eclectic as it is brilliant. Gregory-Croft-Miller followed by Barnes-Wardle would be irresistible even without the help of Greig and Jackson.

Kingkallis: Even with Macartney and a young Andy Roberts in the line-up it doesn't seem as explosive as some of the other teams. However, it is wonderfully balanced, lacks any obvious weakness, and would be incredibly difficult to beat in any conditions.

Slim's Jims: A nice team that bats deep and has plenty of bowling options. Not sure though how an inexperienced keeper-opener would go when facing the likes of Holding or McGrath. But with Grace, Weekes, Botham, Kumble, and Hall in the side anything can happen.

Bums on Seats: Really like this team because of the 'old time' greats - Jackson, Hendren, Noble, Jessop, and Freeman. Add Wasim, Johnson and Thomo, and the attack is top notch. However, the batting seems to lack someone like Barrington who would give it some added spine.

Honest Hunks: Certainly a great looking side from top to bottom. The attack is unusual because it relies on 3 spinners and 2 fast-medium bowlers. In todays terms Ferris would be a left-arm orthodox and Lohmann a quickish off-spinner. However, with charismatic batsman such as Barlow, Paynter, Worrell, Sobers, and Gilchrist the team would always be in the match, especially if they bat first.

Slifer: A nice mixture of ATG batsman and ATG bowlers. The team lacks a genuine batting-allrounder and fifth bowler, but with Lindwall-Warne-Bishop-Johnston does it really need him?

Mr_mister: I remain unconvinced that Imran is top 6 material and I think that the team would have looked more balanced with a batting allrounder in the middle-order and Tallon at No.8. However, with 5 world class bowlers it is debatable whether the opposing line-up would score more runs than Woodfull's boys anyhow. A great side.

So it's;

MORGIEB
KINGKALLIS
ANDREWB

Thanks mr_mister, really nice draft!

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Great write up Watson.

As to my side, I didn't want anyone boring in my side. I picked a side to get crowds through the gates. The only people I missed and wanted were WG, Keith Miller and Brendon McCullum. All about excitement

For my picks I'm thinking Morgie and Slifer at the moment but unsure on a third yet

AndrewB

Andrew: Possibly a quality batsman short with Miller at No.4.
Yes, I'd cheerfully picked my first 8 players, still had nearly 20,000 runs to play with and thought I could pick a couple of ATG batsmen to go with the "cheap" pre WW1 trio of Trumper, Ranji and Jackson. Unfortunately, by then nearly all the greats in the 4000-8000 runs range had long gone....

watson

Banned
Yes, I'd cheerfully picked my first 8 players, still had nearly 20,000 runs to play with and thought I could pick a couple of ATG batsmen to go with the "cheap" pre WW1 trio of Trumper, Ranji and Jackson. Unfortunately, by then nearly all the greats in the 4000-8000 runs range had long gone....

Some middle-order batsman that we didn't pick. I'm surprised that Hassett, O'Neill, Hill, Leyland, and Donnelly weren't picked as bargains in their price range.

Clive Lloyd 7515
Tom Graveney 4882
Ian Redpath 4737
Robyn Smith 4236
Frank Woolley 3238
Lindsay Hassett 3073
Mushtaq Mohammad 3643
John R Reid 3428
Clem Hill 3192
Seymour Nurse 2523
Bill Edrich 2440
Maurice Leyland 2764
Norman O'Neill 2779
Murray Goodwin 1414
George Gunn 1120
Johnny Tyldesley 1661
Martin Donnelly 582

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Don't forget Bob Cowper. Excellent cricketer, who I would've picked or maybe should've picked to add to my bowling options.

AndrewB

Some middle-order batsman that we didn't pick. I'm surprised that Hassett, O'Neill, Hill, Leyland, and Donnelly weren't picked as bargains in their price range.

Clive Lloyd 7515
Tom Graveney 4882
Ian Redpath 4737
Robyn Smith 4236
Frank Woolley 3238
Lindsay Hassett 3073
Mushtaq Mohammad 3643
John R Reid 3428
Clem Hill 3192
Seymour Nurse 2523
Bill Edrich 2440
Maurice Leyland 2764
Norman O'Neill 2779
Murray Goodwin 1414
George Gunn 1120
Johnny Tyldesley 1661
Martin Donnelly 582
Obviously there's good options there, but a lot of those listed tended to bat at about #5 or #6, when what my team really needed was an ATG #3 or #4 (Richards, Harvey, Hammond, WWW, Barrington, Chappell, Dexter, Pollock... all having gone)... in the end I opted for Greig to give a second spin-bowling option. Woolley would perhaps have balanced the side better (but I'm not a fan of his!), or maybe I could have picked John Waite as keeper and had him batting at 4.