• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
Vilas on Prince's appointment.

Dane Vilas believes the appointment of Ashwell Prince will bring passion to the Cape Cobras on their hunt for a title-winning*domestic campaign.*

Despite the Cobras nailing down the assistant coach services of Prince, the Cobras have been rocked by the news that the players have lodged an official complaint to SACA on their coach, Paul Adams.
This is sure to cause a stir in the coaching hierarchy, and it could very well see Prince move up to the head role in the not-too-distant future.

Cobras and Proteas wicketkeeper-batsman Dane Vilas, chatting exclusively to SACricketmagazine.com, has chosen not to delve into the controversy, but looks forward to the*appointment of an experienced international campaigner.

Prince’s*international Test career was impressive scoring at an average of 41.64 and a First-Class average of 44.43, but it is now off the field, in his relatively new career as a coach, where he needs to direct his passion of the game, with or without Adams.

‘I think it is a positive appointment. The experience that he brings domestically and internationally will be a huge asset to the team,’ says Vilas.

The Cobras not only experienced a disappointing domestic*season, but they went through their campaign showing little passion as they lost emphatically in the*Momentum One Day Cup final against the Lions in February. Vilas believes that Prince will bring passion to the team who ended their campaign trophy-less last season.

‘The passion that he still has for the game is contagious and I am really looking forward to working with someone of his calibre and improving my game.’

Prince will have to use his experience as SA A batting coach to his advantage to help develop and improve the current players perfomrances and Vilas can really benefit more from his input on his hunt for a Proteas call up as well as a successful domestic campaign.

‘I was lucky enough to spend some time working with him in Australia with the SA A team on our most recent tour and really benefitted from his knowledge.*‘ said Vilas.

‘Personally I want to move forward with where I left off last season. I had a fantastic season with bat and gloves in the 4 day and 1 day competitions.

‘It was such a privilege and life goal getting my Proteas Test cap. It is always hard being dropped and obviously I want to keep pushing to get a shot back in the team. I know it is going to be extremely difficult but I can only keep pushing to be the best that I can be.

‘For the*Cobras,*we want to get back to winning ways and put those trophies back in the cabinets.’

Prince will have to use his insight to help coach Paul Adams build and develop the young players in the squad. During his stint as SA slector and the former Proteas vice-captain was very much a part of the committee responsible for the rise of*Kagiso Rabada, Temba Bavuma and Tabraiz Shamsi and he should look to do the same for the new talent in the Cobras squad.

Besides the international talent in the squad, Vilas believes that the inclusion of their two new young talents will help boost their chances this season.

‘We have two*new signings at the Cobras in Jason Smith and Zubaya Hamza who have both had good performances in the amateur leagues and impressed this winter at the Academy so those are defiantly guys to keep an eye on.

- See more at: Prince brings passion ? Vilas
Zubayr Hamza on signing with Pro Sport Int Agency this morning

SeamUp

International Coach
Do we know how long Adams new appointment is for... seesm likely that Prince will take over if he shows any ability.

I wonder how much futurelife paid for that pic...:)
Got a new 2 year contract recently.

Futurelife seem to be in partnership with Pro Sport as always in their clients pics. Another is Caffeluxecoffee - seen often recently and here with client Calvin Savage. Quite smart I reckon.

SeamUp

International Coach
On returning from Sussex

‏@David_Wiese Sep 19
Great to be back at @Titans_Cricket and training with @krugerd best fitness training around, missed him this winter!! #titansfamily

Shamsi and Wiese at the Titans Charity ball the other day

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Got a new 2 year contract recently.
Thought it would be only 1 considering everything going on...

Futurelife seem to be in partnership with Pro Sport as always in their clients pics. Another is Caffeluxecoffee - seen often recently and here with client Calvin Savage. Quite smart I reckon.
Well....you can`t accuse SA advertising of being subtle, now :)

SeamUp

International Coach
Everytime you watch Devon Conway bat, you think damn how has he not achieved those high hopes he had when at school. Still time though - perhaps the difference is a confidence he has got with more age. Seem to have picked that up. This Gauteng side is decent though - Delano Potgieter looks a decent one-day opening bat and Carmi Le Roux and Keith Dudgeon can definitely play at the next level.

brockley

International Captain
Good anaylisis of the sides Seam up,expect a few suprise names too be in there,their is a fair ammount of inconsistency especially with the black players,and I am meaning the batting.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good anaylisis of the sides Seam up,expect a few suprise names too be in there,their is a fair ammount of inconsistency especially with the black players,and I am meaning the batting.
No problem Brock.

You probably right because they need to keep searching and finding to get the best 'black African' players now. Major focus.

Saw some exciting new talent I didn't mention above from this past weekends African T20 cup but mainly young white cricketers.

Gauteng : Delano Potgieter, Carmi Le Roux, Nandre Burger [ Potgieter looked a bit of SA Jayasuriya & the last two were impressive left-arm quicks who had pace and bounce]
Boland : Kyle Simmonds (reminded me of Tim Shaw & I wonder if they will push him to compete with George Linde when Piedt goes to Oz)

SeamUp

International Coach
Theunis de Bruyn carrying on the good form.

THE VKB Knights started their 2016/2017 cricket season when they were hosted by the Multiply Titans in the annual Ehlanzeni Cup at Uplands College this past weekend.

Theunis de Bruyn, captaining for the first time, batted through the innings to guide the franchise to a 4-wicket victory. De Bruyn scored 137 off 112 balls with 12 fours and 4 sixes.

The men who put the VKB Knights in charge were fast bowlers Dillon du Preez, taking 2/29 and Duanne Olivier 1/50. Spinner Michael Erlank took 2/60.

At the end this enabled the VKB Knights to close the game quite comfortably with a final score of 314/5 in 45 overs.

The reason for the VKB Knights success is not hard to find. Four significant additions to the squad are Robin Peterson, Marchant de Lange, David Miller and Theunis de Bruyn.

“We want to thank the Titans and Upland College for hosting us this year and are looking forward to the next Ehlanzeni Challenge.” said Coach Nicky Boje.

“What was very pleasing was to see our home grown players also performing admirably well. We have a team that we can be very proud off and hopefully will bring us some silverware this season,” added CEO Johan van Heerden.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cobras players persist with Adams removal demands

With the South African domestic season nine days away, a group of Cobras players will ask the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA), a dispute resolution body, to force their employer, Western Cape Cricket Board, (WCC), to remove coach Paul Adams. The players' insistence comes after a report by Paddy Upton, who had been appointed a mediator in grievances the group had with Adams, called for coach to "stand down". The WCC decided not to implement the findings of Upton's report because it contained material deficiencies.

"The problem the board found with Paddy's report is that not only did he not speak to all of the Cobras' contracted players, but he did not even speak to some of the players with problems," an insider told ESPNcricinfo. "The report was never intended to be binding; it was merely intended to make recommendations and the board chose not to go with those."

While Upton's report has been viewed by both the WCC and the South African Cricketers' Association (SACA), who are assisting the aggrieved players in their CCMA case, it has not been made public. Similarly, none of the disgruntled Cobras players has been willing to talk about the reasons for their unhappiness with Adams. However, two players, Cobras' limited-overs' captain Justin Ontong and left-arm seamer Beuran Hendricks, have spoken out in support for Adams.

Ontong told Times Media he was "disappointed" by the way some players had blamed Adams for their lack of success in the 2015-16 season, the first in eight that the franchise went without a trophy. "We had a bad season but it's also about players taking responsibility for their own performances - we all didn't perform very well. You can't just pass the buck and say the coach was to blame," Ontong said.

Hendricks praised Adams' ability to get on with the job despite what was brewing behind the scenes. "I have to applaud the way he has handled things. He hasn't taken anything to heart‚ he still carries on with what he needs to do as a coach. Things are really moving forward nicely‚ even though there are situations happening."

ESPNcricinfo understands that Dane Paterson, Zubayr Hamza and Tshepo Moreki are among those in support of Adams while first-class captain Omphile Ramela and internationals Richard Levi and Dane Vilas are part of the group that are unhappy. Their issues with Adams range from his man-management skills to his technical knowledge.

While SACA says that 10 players are demanding the implementation of Upton's recommendations, a source at the Cobras said some of those players had retracted their complaints. "The problem is that there is a split squad at the moment and you have groups of players who are not talking to each other."

That was not the mood when pre-season training began earlier this month and the Cobras squad assembled at Newlands. Then, Adams offered an apology and informed his charges he had undergone extra training in the form of a leadership course over the winter. He asked that they work out their differences in an attempt to get back to winnings ways. Adams also had his management team bolstered by the inclusion of Ashwell Prince as assistance coach and Alan Dawson as selection convener.

Adams has been in charge of the Cobras since 2012 and won five trophies in four seasons with the franchise. He has the backing of the board, who offered him a two-year extension to his contract at the end of last season, which has yet to be signed. The contract could be rescinded if the players win their CCMA case. However, the Cobras have indicated that if that happens, they will keep Adams on in some capacity, even if it is at a lower level.

The earliest a CCMA decision will take place is at least a month away, which means the season will start with this cloud hanging over the Cobras. For now, the players will take the field when the Cobras' season starts next Wednesday with a first-class fixture against the Lions in Johannesburg.

This is the second time this year that the CCMA have become involved in cricket matters. In August, Lance Klusener took the Dolphins to the body after his contract was not renewed. Klusener lost the case.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

SeamUp

International Coach
Cobras players persist with Paul Adams removal demands | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
I don't quite understand what is actually going on with this, it seams a group of players don`t think Adams is a good enough coach but no specifics have really been mentioned. But then the board renewing Adams contract to 2 years during the dispute seems bloody stupid, so you start wondering what else is going on....
This seems to be going back to last season.

Interesting how names are being mentioned in support and lack thereof.

When was this extension offered though ?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This seems to be going back to last season.

Interesting how names are being mentioned in support and lack thereof.

When was this extension offered though ?
Extension was offered within the last 3 weeks or so. Basically WP sent Adams on a man management course during December January, then told players Adams would be better and reappointed him for 2 years, without really managing player concerns. Thing is I can`t quite work out if this is a lack of man management skill from Adams, lack of coaching knowledge and can`t work out if this is a political appointment (does not feel like one) or just bad management from WP... or is it a case of certain senior players not liking a loss of power within the camp... practically don`t think he should been reappointed but I`m also concerned about player behaviour.

SeamUp

International Coach
Lions looking for Triple Crown

Having lifted the 2015/16 Momentum One Day Cup in February, the bizhub Highveld Lions coach Geoffrey Toyana says his young chargers will be targeting silverware in all three formats this season.

Despite losing a host of players to national duty, the likes of Nono Pongolo, Carmi le Roux and Matt McGillivray stood up when it counted most to give the Lions the trophy.

“The biggest highlight for me last year was our young side that came through and won the Momentum One Day Cup.”

Once again, Toyana knows that the depth of his squad will be key to their chances of success in the 2016/2017 season.

“It’s going to be tough; it is a big test for us in terms of our depth, but we have never been scared to play youngsters and we are quite excited with the signings we have made in Mangaliso Mosehle, Reeza Hendricks and Aya Myoli.”

Mosehle and Hendricks are particularly significant signings, with both players having already tasted considerable success at franchise level. With the Lions having struggled in the Ram Slam T20 Challenge last season, they will be pleased to have the duo on board. Mosehle hit 87 off 39 balls to earn Man of the Match in the final for the Titans last season, whilst Hendricks has five Protea caps in the shortest format to his name.

Another new signing that has Toyana buzzing is that of South African Under-19 allrounder Wiaan Mulder, a matric pupil at St Stithians College.

“We’ve got a very exciting teenager in Wiaan Mulder and I think there is a 50% chance he could make his debut against the Cobras.”

The match Toyana is referring to is the opening round Sunfoil Series encounter against the Cape Cobras at the Wanderers which starts on Wednesday 05 October.

“The Sunfoil Series is a big trophy that we are always trying to compete for and we got close last year finishing second. We have a tough start against the Cobras, but we are playing at home and hopefully we can pull through.”

Under Toyana, the Lions have gone from strength to strength, winning the Ram Slam T20 Challenge in his first season as head coach in 2012/2013 – which was the franchise’s first trophy in five seasons. Since then they have won the Momentum One Day Cup twice (2015/2016 outright and shared with the Cobras in 2012/2013) to go with their Sunfoil Series title in 2014/2015.

Added to their domestic success, the Lions have produced a host of national players under Toyana in Kagiso Rabada, Quinton de Kock, Chris Morris, Temba Bavuma, Aaron Phangiso, Eddie Leie, Hardus Viljoen, Stephen Cook and Dwaine Pretorius.

“We are really proud of them and what they have achieved. Over the last four years we have done some good work in our structures at the Lions and I must also give credit to my coaching team as well.”

Toyana says the Lions will be hoping to compete for all three trophies in the 2016/2017 season and he believes he has a well-balanced squad that is capable of doing so.

“We have a good squad with combination of youth and experienced players and I think we will be okay this year. We still have Alviro Petersen as part of our structures and although Stephen Cook plays for the Proteas he is a big part of our side. Then a guy like Hardus Viljoen has just come from a successful stint with Kent and he is now a senior member in the team.”

Protea Test opener Stephen Cook will once again lead the Lions in the 2016/2017 season, with Dominic Hendricks deputising the senior statesman.

With the blend of international quality players, proven franchise level competitors and promising youngsters like Mulder, the Lions have reason for optimism in the upcoming season of South African domestic cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Reinforcements to the rescue for Knights

The Knights are eager to improve on last season's domestic campaign, and a number of additions to the squad have bolstered their chances of success.

If the side's recent victory against Titans in the Ehlanzeni Challenge is any measurement of how they might fare then the boys from Bloemfontein could well be in for a treat, as new skipper Theunis de Bruyn signalled his intent with a blistering 137 off 112 balls at Uplands College in late September.

De Bruyn, who enjoyed a brief on-loan stint with the side last term before making the move permanent from the Titans, will skipper the side across the formats this season, and the ambitious 23-year-old aims to create a legacy with his new side.

If I hadn't gone on loan last season I would never have gotten this opportunity,' said De Bruyn. 'I'm enjoying the space at the moment and there's a lot of challenges, including the captaincy. We need to improve in all of the competitions, but you don't just turn things around overnight; it will take time. But if we keep investing our time towards success and keep doing the right things, we can look back in a few years' time and look back at the beginning of the season.

The Knights were the only side not to at least finish runners-up or semifinalists in any of the three tournaments last season, although they did finish a close third in the Sunfoil Series. The likes of impressive pace bowler Malusi Siboto and aggressive opening batsman Reeza Hendricks have left the side to further their careers in Gauteng, but Knights more than made up for it with a number of strong reinforcements. Experienced spinner Robin Peterson and Proteas master-blaster David Miller have joined the ranks, along with paceman Marchant de Lange, and of course, De Bruyn.

'Guys like Miller, De Lange and myself all needed a change to give us a fresh energy to our careers. We're all enjoying it, and I think the other members of the team are also keen to seek new challenges and reach new heights. So the change has been healthy, but the whole squad now needs to step up and perform.'

Head coach Nicky Boje, who was made permanent in February this year after the side lost previous coach Sarel Cilliers, has laid out his blueprint for success with these acquisitions, and the raw exuberance of bowlers Duanne Olivier and Mbulelo Budaza, together with the batting experience of Rudi Second and Rilee Rossouw, forms a fearful unit that will see them target their first piece of silverware since 2010, when they won the MTN 40.

Finishing sixth in the T20 Challenge last season will be a performance they will want to forget in particular, but the likes of Miller and Rossouw will look to inject some impetus and firepower into a somewhat wilted batting lineup.

There was little wrong with the bowling last season as Olivier earned an SA A call-up for his 41 wickets in seven wickets at an average of just over 16. The batting however, was lacking, with last-season's skipper Werner Coetsee topping the charts with 573 runs at an average of 35.81. This, from a player who usually bats at No 7. More is needed from the top-order.

The side's extended period of success a decade ago relied on a star-studded lineup featuring the likes of Boeta Dippenaar, Morne van Wyk and Jacques Rudolph. De Bruyn will be hoping to roll back the years and get his side firing on all cylinders.

'It was good to get some runs under my belt (in the Ehlanzeni Challenge) but more importantly the brand of cricket we played was great. The guys showed a lot of freedom, X-factor and enjoyment. This team has got a lot of potential. The guys have been working hard and are keen to create a legacy here. We all invest in each other's talents, so it's a very happy work space.’

SeamUp

International Coach
Ontong injury could be a blessing for Cobras

With all the uncertainty surrounding the Cape Cobras coach and players at the moment, the one certainty for next week’s opening four-day series match is that Justin Ontong will not take the field against the Highveld Lions at the Wanderers.

Ontong, the Cobras limited-overs captain and firm supporter of embattled coach Paul Adams, split the webbing on his left hand between the index and middle fingers last week while playing for Boland during the Africa T20 Cup.

Although his experience is invaluable, especially in the first-class arena, having previously led the Cobras to successive four-day titles, his unavailability could be a blessing in disguise for new selection convener Alan Dawson.

The former Proteas swing bowler is currently watching the Cobras pre-season matches in Brackenfell and will be monitoring some young batsmen, especially as Test batsman Stiaan van Zyl is also struggling with a knee injury.

The latter’s ailment should not keep him out of the Lions clash, though, with the stylish left-hander possibly taking a rest from any bowling as a precautionary measure.

Due to all these factors, the door could be wide open for the Cobras to blood Jason Smith and Zubayr Hamza (both 21) alongside 24-year-old Simon Khomari in the middle-order at the Bullring.

Khomari opened the batting for the Cobras last season, but found the going tough at the top and after working with Shukri Conrad at the CSA High Performance Centre, it is believed he could be more effective lower down.

Smith, who was also at the National Academy with Khomari, is a promising batsman who has impressed for the Cobras in the limited-overs formats, and is making a real play to be a regular franchise cricketer. That he is a useful medium-pace bowler raises his stocks and he should expect to deliver his fair share of overs, especially with Van Zyl not being able to bowl at this stage.

Hamza has yet to make a Cobras first-class debut and is eagerly awaiting his first run out. Taking into account his statistics one tier down for the Western Province semi-pro side, where he has accumulated 1 535 runs in just 20 matches at an average of 56.85, a debut at the Wanderers would be considered overdue.

The longest format is certainly his favourite, as it's where his patience and good shot selection can be best displayed. There is also that insatiable appetite for scoring big runs...

All this young talent coming through is a silver lining following reports that senior Cobras players, in association with the South African Cricketers Association, are headed for the CCMA after lodging a formal grievance against Adams.

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors look to build on last season

It has been six years since the Warriors last tasted trophy success and the squad will enter the start of the new season this week determined to remedy that.

Much has changed for the Warriors in those half-a-dozen years after Davy Jacobs' side captured a domestic double. A number of the senior players in that side have either retired or moved on in the ensuing seasons. The squad has been rebuilding ever since and under coach Malibongwe Maketa they finally seem to have found some stability as the playing personnel remains mostly the same from last season with two additions in batsman Lesiba Ngoepe and Proteas fast bowler Kyle Abbott.

What will encourage Maketa is that two young players stepped into the breach created by the loss of some more experienced heads last season. Colin Ackermann and Sisanda Magala were leading lights in the Warriors outfit and the franchise will be looking for them to continue in that vein when their season begins with a Sunfoil Series clash against the Hollywoodbets Dolphins in East London on Thursday.

So, with little disruption to his squad, Maketa says he will aim to continue molding the Warriors into a championship-winning team with an eye on producing players for the national team.

The Warriors have always been fierce competitors in limited overs cricket. Last season they qualified for the playoffs of the Momentum One-Day Cup and just missed out in RamSlam T20 semifinal. But it was in the multi-day Sunfoil Series where they have under-performed consistently for some time.

"It’s really important that we build on what we achieved last season as far as white ball is concerned," Maketa told supersport.com. "I thought we boxed way above our weight when it came to white ball cricket. In terms of red ball, we have tried to focus on our techniques off-season to make sure we deliver this time around. We have been off of where we want to be in the past two seasons. We were not able to sustain pressure or bat for long periods of time. So that’s what we need to improve on this season."

Maketa said the scheduling of the Africa T20 Cup had wreaked havoc with the Warriors' pre-season preparations. Oudtshoorn, which was used as a venue for the Africa T20 Cup, has been a destination for the Warriors ahead of recent seasons but they were unable to secure the venue last month.

“We have not had a proper pre-season which has been a frustration. We haven’t been together as a team. It just hasn’t worked out with Border's and EP's pools being spaced so far apart and the guys having to spend time with their amateur coaches. But in saying that, maybe a different run-in will do us good."

The squad will take plenty of heart from the fact that Eastern Province won the Africa T20 Cup at the weekend with four of the Warriors players among their ranks.

"It is encouraging that some of the franchise guys have gained confidence in what they achieved in the Africa Cup. We want them to take that positive energy into the four-day cricket this week.”

Ngoepe has arrived in the camp having largely under-performed for the BuildNat Cape Cobras and Western Province. But he now has a chance to establish himself in fresh surroundings.

"Lesiba, for us, has always been an exciting player. We brought him in to bring some competition and depth to our batting line-up. We believe he is going to boost our squad because he brings good work ethic and is really driven to succeed."

Maketa realises Abbott is unlikely to be around for the majority of the season but says "even if he is only available for two or three matches, for our guys to be around that calibre of player will do them the world of good."

The core of the Warriors' strength this season will be made up of Magala, Ackermann, allrounders Jon-Jon Smuts and Simon Harmer and their ever-reliable captain, Colin Ingram.

Just how close they will come to silverware this season may depend on whether the remainder of the squad can step up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dolphins looking to settle quickly

The Hollywoodbets Dolphins head into the new season after a turbulent year off the field and will be hoping that a new coach can help the team settle quickly before what could prove to be a tough season.

The Dolphins fired Lance Klusener before last season ended with Grant Morgan appointed as the new coach for this year while they also lost their CEO to pastures new during the off-season.

To make matters worse for the KZN franchise they lost two key players at the end of last season with batsman David Miller opting to play for the VKB Knights this year while fast bowler Kyle Abbott decided to throw his lot in with the Warriors.

The frustration of the loss of two star players was only added to compounded for loyal fans as the Dolphins were the only franchise team not to make any significant additions to their squad during the off-season.

Morgan will thus have to try and get the best out of a team that experienced some high and lows last season.

The Dolphins finished second from bottom on the log for the four-day Sunfoil Series although batsmen Vaughn van Jaarsveld, who averaged 49.23, and Imraan Khan, who averaged 50.75 with three hundreds and three fifties, enjoyed good personal seasons.

The KZN franchise enjoyed a better run in the Ram Slam T20 Challenge, where they were losing finalists, but their performance in the Momentum One-Day Cup was rather more disappointing as they also ended second from bottom on the log to miss out on the playoffs.

The Dolphins’ job will be Morgan’s first as a franchise level coach, but he has accumulated a vast amount of experience having coached KZN Inland from 2012 to 2014. He has also coached the Highveld Strikers and has served as assistant coach for the SA under-19 team and last year was assistant coach at the Warriors.

Morgan was recognised for his achievements at provincial level when he was awarded the Khaya Majola Memorial Award in 2005.

However, he is well aware that coaching at franchise level will present a different sort of challenge.

“Being appointed as head coach of the Dolphins comes as a huge privilege, not only because of the honour associated with being chosen, but the excitement of being able to make an impact as well.

“I have waited many years to coach at franchise level and coached around the country, however, the nice thing about my journey is that I’ve managed to gain success at every stop along the way and hopefully that can continue here at the Dolphins,” Morgan explained.

Morgan, after being appointed as the Dolphins’ new coach, admitted that the loss of Abbott and Miller was disappointing, but that he was confident that his new charges could rise to the challenge of replacing the two proteas.

“It is a bit of blow to lose players like Kyle (Abbott) and David (Miller), however, there is a huge amount of talent still left here at the Dolphins. There is no doubt that a very competitive Dolphins team will still represent the Dolphins in all formats come the start of the new season,” explained Morgan.

The Dolphins may have been hard hit by players moving on but they still have a clutch of players who will command respect from their opponents.

Captain Morne van Wyk and Daryn Smit are wily campaigners while Van Jaarsveld and Khan will add some stability to the top-order, especially in four-day cricket.

Left-arm spinner Keshav Maharaj has shown huge improvement over the last two seasons and has become one of the Dolphins’ main weapons with the ball while 20-year-old allrounder Andile Phehlukwayo has enjoyed a meteoric rise which culminated in the talented youngster earning his first one-day international cap for the Proteas in September against Ireland after he had impressed for the South Africa A team during their winter programme.

Phehlukwayo and another allrounder, Sibonelo Makhanya, are just two of the younger players in the squad that Morgan hopes can go on to bigger and better things this season.

“I was privileged enough to coach youngsters like (Quinton) De Kock, (Temba) Bavuma and (Dominic) Hendricks while I was at the Highveld Strikers a few years ago and it is always great to see young talents like that making their way up the ladder. Our younger guys like Sibs (Makhanya), Andile (Phehlukwayo) and a few others are also massively exciting and certainly have the talent. For me, this season is all about trying to get them to settle,” Morgan said.

Dolphins contracted squad:
Craig Alexander, Cody Chetty, Cameron Delport, Tshepang Dithole, Daryn Dupavillon, Sarel Erwee, Robbie Frylinck, Imraan Khan, Keshav Maharaj, Sibonelo Makhanya, Andile Phehlukwayo, Calvin Savage, Mthokozisi Shezi, Daryn Smit, Prenelan Subrayen, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Divan van Wyk, Morné van Wyk, Khaya Zondo.

SeamUp

International Coach
Coach banking on Cobras's fire-power

Lifting the sights from Base camp to the top of Everest would arguably be the Buildnat Cape Cobras’ greatest single challenge when they walk out onto the hallowed turf of the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium in their first Sunfoil Series match against the bizhub Highveld Lions starting on Wednesday.

Although Ashwell Prince, the assistant coach of the Buidlnat Cape Cobras, did not exactly talk about Everest when referring to the team goals, he said that when he represented the Cobras, the team dynamic was that most of the players were either representing South Africa A, or South Africa or had personal ambitions to represent the country.

The situation is not much different right now. There are some players who are only getting their first taste of franchise-cricket for the Buildnat Cobras, while there are other stars, like Dane Vilas and Stiaan van Zyl who are very keen to get back into the national team or cement their places in the Proteas squad. Other stalwarts, like Vernon Philander and Dane Piedt, are South African players who need to emulate the intensity they display when representing the Proteas.

Prince, a former South African middle-order champion who struck 11 test centuries for South Africa during a highly successful test career, said recently that there had been in-house challenges (when some players did not want Paul Adams’ reign as coach to continue).

“The situation is not ideal. But the players would want to understand that ultimately, they will be judged on how they perform on the field of play. They are professionals and they have a job to do,” he said.
For the Cobras to be successful, the top- and middle-order as a collective unit need to perform admirably.

The past season, the Multiply Titans struck 12 Sunfoil Series centuries to win the four-day competition. In the 2014/2015-season, the champions of that series, the bizhub Highveld Lions, hammered 11 tons. Both Adams and Prince underlined the vital importance of the senior players being the catalysts with the bat.

The Cobras will require Andrew Puttick, Omphile Ramela, Van Zyl and the two new franchise-recruits, Jason Smith and Zubayr Hamza, to assemble comprehensive contributions in the season. During the previous season, only Vilas with an average of 69.18 and a best score of 216, and JP Duminy, with a best score of 260, really blossomed with the bat in the four-day competition. Ramela struck two centuries and averaged a touch above 42, but lacked consistency. The inconsistency of the top and middle-order was a major factor in the demise of the Cobras.

The attack was also not at their best, despite excellent contributions by Piedt, who took 39 wickets, and Wayne Parnell, who struck 23 times.

Adams said he will expect major contributions from the senior bowlers Philander and Piedt, wil splendid consistency from Tshepo Moreki, Aviwe Mgijima and Smith. Paterson, who captured 42 wickets in the Sunfoil Series two seasons ago, is the strike bowler in the Cobras’ line-up. One can expect him to be the enforcer in the pack who will fulfil a similar role to Hardus Viljoen in the Lions’ set-up.

Adams said the Cape Cobras will have a goal-setting session on Monday evening (3 October), the purpose of which is to ensure that the squad as a whole operate in unison to fulfil their ultimate mandate of winning trophies this season.

“When I represented the Cobras, every day we walked on the field, we expected to win a match. It is no different right now,” said a determined Prince.

Van Zyl has a knee niggle, and will have to undergo a fitness test before the final eleven is announced.

Ramela’s role cannot be underestimated. One of the most respected cricketers and leaders at franchise-level, he has lamented the lack of intensity and the tendency by the Cobras to capitulate under pressure last season. If the defiant Ramela has his way, the Cobras will play with more fire and clinical intent in the 2016-17-season.

The Cobras were the losing finalist in the Momentum One Day Cup-competition last season, lost the semifinal play-offs in the Ram Slam T20 Challenge in 2015-16, and finished fourth in the Sunfoil Series.

However, they won or shared five trophies in the three seasons from 2012-13 to 2014-15 and most of the personnel who propelled them to those pieces of silver and goal, are still part of the squad.

Justin Ontong is nursing a split webbing which required some stitching after a match in the Africa T20 Cup and was not considered for the match against the Lions.

Cape Cobras squad: Omphile Ramela (capt), Andrew Puttick, Zubayr Hamza, Stiaan zan Zyl, Jason Smith, Dane Vilas, Aviwe Mgijima, Vernon Philander, Dane Piedt, Beuran Hendricks, Dane Paterson, Tshepo Moreki, Keegan Petersen.