• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think was the best batsman to never score a test 50, 100, 150 and 200?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was surprised to find while reading about Douglas Jardine that his best score was only 127(even more surprised to find out he only actually got the one test ton)... does he qualify as the best bat to never hit a 150? I have no idea but he must be up there. FS Jackson's best was only 144 also

so who holds these 4 titles?

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Was Jardine known for his batting prowess? I've only known him as the shrewd tactician.

Just because I just saw their names in another thread title, but Mark and Damien for the 200?

Not too sure of the others. Not many batsmen average decent without having a ton under their belt. Gillespie would qualify for all of it wasn't for his last innings haha.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barry Richards a good shout for the 150 & 200 category, but it does feel like picking him would be going against the spirit of the thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barry Richards a good shout for the 150 & 200 category, but it does feel like picking him would be going against the spirit of the thread

damn, shoulda made some kind of min test requirement. Richards probably easily for never scored a 150 I suppose

Howe_zat

Audio File
Best batsman to never score a 200 in Herbert Sutcliffe

For the others it's really just good FC/ODI batsmen who for whatever reason didn't play many Tests, e.g. Michael Bevan doesn't have a Test ton

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Bruce Laird scored a few hundreds in WSC, and had a Test batting average of 35 with 50s off the West Indies pace quartet, but his top score in 21 Tests was 92.

watson

Banned
Would have been nice if they scored a Test century;

Chetan Chauhan
Slasher Mackay
Mike Brearley
Bruce Laird
Alan Davidson
Jock Cameron
Ken Wadsworth
Brian Close
John Goddard
Ali Bacher
Norman Yardley
Michael Bevan
George Hirst
Learie Constantine
Harold Larwood
Mitch Marsh

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Proccie a name that comes to mind but he's in the Barry Richards category. Darren Lehmann missed out on a 200.

watson

Banned
Sutcliffe by far.
Perhaps Sutcliffe was hampered by his relatively slow career scoring rate of 34.59?

The closest that Sutcliffe came to a double ton was his 194 at the SCG in 1932. The innings took 496 balls to compile. By comparison, Stan McCabe hit 187 not out off 233 balls in exactly the same Test Match. Therefore, if McCabe faced the same amount of deliveries as Sutcliffe then he would have scored 398 runs.

Or two put it another way, McCabe only had to concentrate for 242 minutes, whereas Sutcliffe had to stay focused for a whopping 436 minutes (7 1/2 hours) to get roughly the same amount of runs.

Point being, if a batsman wants to better his odds of scoring double tons or better then bat more like a McCabe, Bradman, Sobers, or Lara. Either that, or take lessons on how to concentrate beyond normal human endurance like a Hutton or Boycott.

Obviously Sutcliffe was more like a lesser mortal with respect to his ability to concentrate for multiple hours.

Last edited: