• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debuts & Retirements draft

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, we've got 13 (I think) so we'll get this underway.

Before we go I'll just recap the rules.

Due to popular consent, Bradman will no longer be available (sorry to those who had been mapping out their 'road to the don'.)

- As pointed out by HB, the 'blind' rounds will be fun, so i'll be doing the RNG before rounds 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11

- As pointed out by Harsh, non-retired players are an anomaly, so if you do actually manage to get to the modern era & select one before the final round, your next selection will have to be someone from 1877 again. So please be careful.

- As pointed out by Mr, there is no real need for a 12th round so we'll just keep it at 11.

The OP has been edited to reflect this.

So... without further hesitation:

Round 1

AndrewB
Howe_zat
Red Hill
morgieb
J_C
harsh.ag
jimmy101
Coronis
mr_mister
honestbharani
OverratedSanity
shearzie
AndyZaltzHair

Round 2

AndyZaltzHair
shearzie
OverratedSanity
honestbharani
mr_mister
Coronis
jimmy101
harsh.ag
J_C
morgieb
Red Hill
Howe_zat
AndrewB

Take it away AndrewB! The draft is now LIVE.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
How does the voting in this work? Is it in turns or do you just work out your team and state the whole team in one shot? I think I will be in.

.... or.... maybe I'm out - must have just missed it by the skin of my teeth. (Yeah, I have skinny teeth!)

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Clarification request for the stupid: You pick a player who debuted along with the retirement of your last pick, not the previous player's pick?

watson

Banned
For example, if you first choose Fred Spofforth - who debuted in 1877 & retired in 1887 - then your next selection must be a cricketer who debuted in 1887.
- Jimmy

Incidently, since most players who debuted in 1877 also retired in 1877 there are only 13 players to choose from. Luckily, there are 13 participants.

Although 1877 won't be able to be revisited a second time by anyone - so maybe 1877-1889 as the point of departure??? Sorry to be complete pain.

(Of course I could be wrong)

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Open up a few more years in the first round.
1877-1880 or 1882 is a bit more open. Still keeps things in the early era well and truly

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Open up a few more years in the first round.
1877-1880 or 1882 is a bit more open. Still keeps things in the early era well and truly
Luckily Schearzie & Watson both picked up on this because I never anticipated we'd get as many participants as this many.

It does indeed seem that we need to open things up a bit here.

So for round one players are now allowed to pick any cricketer who debuted BEFORE 1890. (1889 or backwards).

Hopefully this will help us. Unfortunately I can't edit the OP, but hopefully everyone will get a chance to read this update.

Sorry everyone.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
How does the voting in this work? Is it in turns or do you just work out your team and state the whole team in one shot? I think I will be in.

.... or.... maybe I'm out - must have just missed it by the skin of my teeth. (Yeah, I have skinny teeth!)
The vote will occur at the end of the draft when everyone has selected the final lineups. I will start a separate voting thread for this once we're done.

You can jump in if you like Victor, the more the merrier. I'll just have to put you last in R1 & R2.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
AndrewB I'm afraid you've timed out bud. Please make your first selection whenever you can.

Howe has the floor.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Quite intrigued by this. Is there still room for one more? I don't mind going last and will even throw in a rare smiley face from me.

:)