• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Makeup of NZ Test Team

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mingster said:
We will see won't we.

I honestly believe McCullum is maturing with gloves with every match.
Likewise.

No doubts he's getting better , but he's still not ready for test cricket by a long shot , the keeping has its moments but its still inconsistent & with the bat I dont really think he's gonna do a whole lot more than Hart's doing ATM.

nibbs

International Captain
McCullum is getting there for sure. IMO, he should come into the side next summer. Now is just a bit too soon for my liking...

Kent

State 12th Man
Looking at this SA attack, and the Vettori-centric pitches Bracewell's said he's "looking into", I'd be seriously thinking about Sinclair. Either at 4, or if that overly compromises the bowling options needed to win on a certain track, then Fleming to open and Sinclair at 3.

With a 'death or glory' middle-order of Styris, McMillan and Cairns, I'm starting to want someone who could provide a bit more innings stamina. Richardson (maybe Papps) to take any sting out of the conditions, then hopefully Fleming and Sinclair really going to work on those teutonic jarps.

It should be a series of key chances and real attrition, with partnerships of 200+ being the key to success. The last thing I want is something like the Aussies' last tour, with NZ looking pretty at times but still losing 0-3.

My team:

Richardson
(Papps)
Fleming
Sinclair
Styris
McMillan
Cairns
Oram
Vettori
McCullum
Tuffey
B. Martin (only room if Flem opens or perhaps McMillan dropped harshly)

Tuffey
Cairns
Oram
Vettori
(Martin)
Styris

Kent

State 12th Man
That style of post and the time it was posted (I also work odd shifts) reminded me of Anzac's recent absence.

Just on holiday I hope, rather than eaten by a croc up in Darwin or something. :)

Mingster

State Regular
Cairns opening bowling? If we do that, it allows us more batting strength by playing him at his usual place at 7.

However, if Bond does make a comeback, I would drop Oram (harsh I know) and play Cairns instead of him, on the basis I think that Cairns would be a more 'dangerous' proposition in the Tests.

SO that leaves a spare spot in the middle-order for the likes of Sinclair or Vincent.

Kent

State 12th Man
They've already jumped the gun on Bond's injury once, surely they'll be over-cautious if anything this time around. That would surely mean no SA tests.

Besides, the problem with dropping Oram is who would do any donkey work? Unless they forget this idea about pitches suiting Vettori, you're looking at Tuffey under a bit of an injury cloud, Cairns always under one, Butler being too erratic and more a short-spell bowler anyway, or Mason as a rookie used to green seamers.

#################

It looks like I'm the only one talking up Bruce Martin, and I'm resigned to the fact that if he were in Bracewell's mind there probably would've been some more noise about him by now. Not that Wiseman's getting many props ATM either, but I imagine they'd opt for him as a second spinner to take it away from lefties like Kirsten, Smith, Rudolph, etc.

Mingster

State Regular
Hey, I'm a big fan of Martin too! He's been nothing sort of exceptional this summer and is clearly the most impressive spinner of both Shield and Championship.

Styris to do the donkey work?

Dougie Rydal

Cricket Spectator
I believe they will play both Oram and Cairns, but I think that is one all rounder too many as someone previously mentioned. I'd have Cairns (my pref) or Oram to bat 6, and I'd bring in McCullum (although I donlt think the selectors will) to bat 7, Vettori (in good nick with the bat now) at 8, which leaves a place open for another bowler.

Your seamers would be Tuffey, Mason, and Butler with Cairns/Oram as backup, or they could play Wiseman (although recent weather would suggest the tracks are going to be as green as hell).

No doubt Papps will open...

Personally I can't see there is any way they will play both Vettori and B.Martin - if they go with 2 spinners, surely they have to spin the ball differently.

Andre

International Regular
Personally, I'd be suprised if Vincent was dumped just yet. He scored a Test hundred no less than 3 matches ago. They'll pick him for the first Test at least.

I think the side for the first test will be fairl tock-standard, nothing outrageous but backing the tried blokes to do the job.

So, IMO, it will be something like...

Richardson
Vincent
Fleming
Styris
McMillan
Cairns
Oram
Vettori
Hart
Tuffey
Butler.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Vincent will definately not be playing the 1st test, thats for sure.
He only played his 1st game last week after something like 2 months out with an injury & he's had to miss today's game v C.D because of a viral infection.

He's basically had no time at the crease since early December & his previous test form against Pakistan will not go in his favour.

Papps has at least faced the South Africans and while having a mixed bag, he's shown that he can handle their bowling quite well at times & isn't over-awed like Cumming looked to be.

And no we shouldn't open the bowling with Cairns...he may have improved in ODI's but tests is different ball game & he's still unproven in tests that he can put 6 or 7 consistent overs together.
Bruce Martin would be a good outside bet, he's got very consistent figures for a player who generally plays his home matches at venues which favour the seamers. I wouldn't be surprised if he got picked to play with Vettori, but im sure alot of New Zealanders would because they've probably never heard of him.

Mingster

State Regular
Craig said:
NZ need to find an ideal no.4, because neither Styris or McMillan are no.4s.
What makes you think Styris cannot do the no.4 role in Tests as well?

If Astle makes a comeback for the England Tests, Styris would be the default 4 anyway, with Astle and McMIllan at 5 and 6.

I agree with Tim. Vincent will be dumped because he has virtually played zilch criceket since the Pakistan Tests.

Andre

International Regular
My mistake - didn't realise he hasn't been playing.

RE: Number 4 - Test class number 4 batsmen don't come along every day Craig. Styris is doing an excellent job and remains the ideal candidate.

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim - who would you open the bowling with then?

If they take all the grass off for Vettori's benefit, I can see no point in playing Butler. On good wickets, SA eat inconsistent bounce bowlers for breakfast. Just ask most of the WI attack.

I'm guessing others will say Mason or Mills, two bowlers of much less experience than Cairns and about 5-10 kph slower ATM. If there's no guarranteed assistance for them, they're just taking up a place that could be B Martin's.

Last edited:

Mingster

State Regular
I would open with Bond and Tuffey. If Bond is out, I would have Mason. In extreme circumstances, Butler.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would tend to agree with that....although i'd even have Mills before Butler because Mills has established quite a good FC batting record also.

I really think Butler will get smashed against South Africa...he has done nothing in the 4 dayers over the last 2 weeks to suggest otherwise.

Craig

World Traveller
Mingster said:
What makes you think Styris cannot do the no.4 role in Tests as well?
Because I dont think that iti s his position, and he doesnt appear suited to it.

If they picked Fulton (assuming he was in form to warrent a selection) I would bat Fulton at 3 and Fleming at 4.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Richardson
Papps/Marshell
Fleming
Styris
McMillan
Cairns
Oram
Vettori
Hart
Tuffey
Mason

Vincents state form hasn't exactly jumped out and said pick me. I think give the 2 mew od players in mike and hamish a go. They have proved that they can play against that attack. I also think Papps a better Test player that ODI player.