• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the Strongest 2nd Divison comp in Domestic Cricket?

brockley

International Captain
Sunfoil 3 day Cup?
Futures Cup?
NZ's Domestic 2nd xl Cup?
Second xl Trophy in England?

BTW don't know of any others,if you know would be nice to know?

Would enjoy the feedback.:cool:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sunfoil 3 day Cup?
Futures Cup?
NZ's Domestic 2nd xl Cup?
Second xl Trophy in England?

BTW don't know of any others,if you know would be nice to know?

Would enjoy the feedback.:cool:

Hmm interesting question. That's one aspect of cricket I've never actually thought about.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Youd think England but SL and India both have a FC mini tiurnament with a couple teams that would technically make their actual FC set up the "2nd" cup. Still probably England.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You'd have to lean towards the South African three day comp just because the traditional aspects of it being the remnant of the old Currie Cup and still having First Class status mean it ends up being taken a bit more seriously. The Futures League is a long way from being a real Second XI competition and the talent is just spread too thin across too many teams in England/Wales, especially when you consider the Minor Counties Championship which runs sorta-kinda parallel to the Second XI Trophy despite officially being a tier below.

I actually did a (crude-ish, but interesting) analysis of all the domestic comps, including the Second XI ones, a while ago looking at how much players' records tended to drop off from each competition when they got into Test cricket, effectively showing the strength of the batting and the bowling in each competition. It's something I've always wanted to post on CricketWeb, but it'd kind of ruin CPL Cricket or CWPL Cricket if anyone decided to pick those up again and use my database so I've never done it. It tended to back up my idea that the South African three day comp was the best, but that it probably shouldn't still have First Class status anyway.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Good anaylisis Prince Ews.
My observation the Sunfoil cup still has the quota system of 3/3/5,which would weaken it.

The Future Cup aptly named has 6 players under the age 23,and 6 possible over 23 year old players.
Dunno if their restrictions in NZ 2nd xl comp.

The English 2nd xl their was around 60 foreigners from various comps round the world,but the rest of the 2nd xl teams we're made up of 17-21 year olds,very few 24+ players,so you gotta say they have youth quotas in the English 2nd xl comp too.

Athlai you have any extra info on these comps,so there is a first and 2nd division?

Howe_zat

Audio File
You'd have to lean towards the South African three day comp just because the traditional aspects of it being the remnant of the old Currie Cup and still having First Class status mean it ends up being taken a bit more seriously. The Futures League is a long way from being a real Second XI competition and the talent is just spread too thin across too many teams in England/Wales, especially when you consider the Minor Counties Championship which runs sorta-kinda parallel to the Second XI Trophy despite officially being a tier below.
Yeah this was what I first thought as it was created to be first class cricket and not the developmental competition it became.

I think we might be saying it's the second division of the CC for these reasons in about 10 years' time. Right now it's not genuine second tier but it is heading that way.

brockley

International Captain
I am more looking at 2nd xl comps,I guess that rules at Sunfoil comp,Ranji trophy or County cricket.Altho Sunfoil comp different completely different from the firsts comp,and essentially runs as a 2nd xl comp.

As i said English county 2nds full of foreigners looking for contracts and 17-21 year olds.
Don't know much about 2nd fivision Ranji comp is it a first class comp?Just know their a hell a lot of sides like Pakistan.
I know Bangladesh now has 2 divisions,4 in the top 4 in the 2nd.