• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest keeper batsman - Gilchrist or Sangakkara?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Now that Sangakkara has recently retired, I think this is interesting topic to discuss and in hindsight i believe Sangakkara was better modern keeper/bat since 2000 and if you picked an all-time XI & needed a keeper with strongest batting prowess in test history it has to be Kumar.

GILCHRIST

The thing with Gilchrist as an Australian fan during the glory days is that when he started from like 1999-2005, he really did bring a new dimension to the roll of the keeper making runs consistently although before him you had guys like Les Ames, Alec Stewart, Dennis Lindsay, Jeff Dujon, Andy Flower.

But clearly before Gilly more teams were still of the default view of picking a keeper for his glove-work prowess first & batting second.

Gilchrist at his absolutely best in tests was the aforementioned debut home series vs Pakistan 1999 to the N Zealand tour in 2005. This period his record waS : 68 tests, 4452 runs, 55.65 average, 15 hundreds. - http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en... n;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

At this point everyone in world cricket glorified Gilly quite aptly as the role changing cricketer and would always pick him in all time XIs. Fact remains no team since Gilchrist would really pick a keeper if he can't average 35-40+ with the bat.

However things change drastically at the back end of Gilly's career starting with the famous 2005 Ashes. England famous pace attack led by Flintoff found a way to keep him quiet, by bowling around the wicket consistently, tucking him up for room & Gilchrist suddenly looked normal.

For the remaining 3 years of his career many teams tried this tactic (most notably S Africa during 2005/06 home/away tests) & he was never the same again as his average dropped almost 10 points and he only scored 2 more test centuries.

It makes you wonder if teams had formulated that tactic earlier if his career would have been so dominant, especially when you consider in his first test match he was bowled by Shoaib Akhtar via the around the wicket angle tactic:

My suspicion since Gilly's retirement is that he wouldn't have been so dominant if bowlers had homed in on that weakness earlier in the 2000s.

In a lot of ways the 1999-2005 period was the dark ages period of the 2000s when wickets worldwide wide were so flat and many of the 1990s top bowling attacks had either retired of was in decline.

Australia's attack was the only consistently good bowling attack worldwide for a long time & Gilchrist feasted on that.

A clue of how Gilchrist might have performed if he faced better quicks from 1999-2005, lies in his record in Asia during this period. In 10 tests on famous tours to India in 2001 & 2004, Sri Lanka 2004 his record was 543 runs at 31 with 3 hundreds - http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/5390.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;host =6;host=8;opposition=6;opposition=8;orderby=start; spanmax1=1+MAY+2005;spanval1=span;template=results ;type=batting;view=innings

Outside of those 3 superb hundreds, he has a lot of low scores & his general play versus the high quality spin of Harbhajan/Kumble/Murali was very much hit or miss - not much of middle ground (except for that 49 he scored in the Chennai 2004 test).

You consider all these factors and I don't think if Gilchrist faced sterner attacks (pace) during his test career he would have averaged 50+ at all. Would have still played destructive game changing innings, but not on the level where he would have been elevated to all-time great status.

Sangakkara:

The basic plain stats of Sangakkara's career says he averaged 40 while keeping and 66 when not keeping - Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

This is sort of misleading because the discrepancies between Kumar's batting ability wasn't that big when keeping and not keeping.

I just think Sangakkara suffered a bit with combining the # 3 batting & keeping in tests. Those are two highly important teams roles that one person can't do in the longer format.

After Sanga last kept in test in 2008, he always kept in ODI/T20 until retirement and did the # 3 batting + keeping role excellently. So i reckon if the balance of the SRI team in test could have allowed Sanga to bat @ # 5 (instead of needing him to bat @ # 3) like Andy Flower did for ZIM in the 1990s/early 2000s with great success - Sangakkara could have easily replicated his batting form in that position.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just depends if you want to ignore the facts that

- Sangakkara only kept in a third of his tests
- and what he showed was that he couldn't combine batting and keeping

and you can say what you like about him batting at #5 or whatever, the fact was he was a very successful #3 but not as successful when he kept...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Just depends if you want to ignore the facts that

- Sangakkara only kept in a third of his tests
- and what he showed was that he couldn't combine batting and keeping

and you can say what you like about him batting at #5 or whatever, the fact was he was a very successful #3 but not as successful when he kept...
I have not ignored any facts, just tried look at it deeper because as the old cricket adage goes - stat's don't tell the whole truth.

In ODIs & T20 up until retirement he kept in both formats, batted @ # 3 or 4 until his final game & his batting success was the typical excellence. 360 or 404 ODIs as keeper with 23 of his 25 hundreds at a higher overall average & all T20 internationals.

After Hashan Tillikaratne captaincy tenure ended, Kumar was SRI best batsman, keeper & # 3 in tests. But unlike the shorter formats its an impossible job to do all 3 in a test match, this why the test captaincy rotated between Mahela, Dilshan & Mathews - while P Jayawardene, Chandimal, Dickwella (spell check), K Perera have had runs keeping in tests.

A more accurate statement IMO is to say due to the aforementioned reality of him being the obvious best in those 3 roles, his importance to SRI cricket meant he could not do all 3 roles in test when his batting started to peak into world-class level status. This is why I believe if he batted @ 5 like Flower or like De Villiers did at times for S Africa - he would have easily replicated his peak runs at # 3 @ # 5.

Obviously if you picking the best team of the last 25 years or all-time it would indeed look a bit odd to bat Sangakkara @ 7 - because such a hypothetical team middle order will have Bradman/Tendulkar/Richards/Sobers/G Pollock/Lara/Kallis/Ponting/G Chappell/Miandad as options.

But you don't have a choice really, you either do that or pick the best pure glovesman or all time/last 25 years in such a team i.e Allan Knott/Godfrey Evans/Ian Healy.

Last edited:

Red

A more accurate statement IMO is to say due to the aforementioned reality of him being the obvious best in those 3 roles, his importance to SRI cricket meant he could not do all 3 roles in test when his batting started to peak into world-class level status. This is why I believe if he batted @ 5 like Flower or like De Villiers did at times for S Africa - he would have easily replicated his peak runs at # 3 @ # 5.
So you want to compare what Sangakkara might've done at #5 compared to what Gilchrist did do at #7?

But you don't have a choice really, you either do that or pick the best pure glovesman or all time/last 25 years in such a team i.e Allan Knott/Godfrey Evans/Ian Healy.
Or Gilchrist

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, more of the "when a wicketkeeper can bat he must be useless with the gloves" fallacy.

Red

I'll argue forever about how good a keeper Gilchrist was. Keeping to Warne and MacGill is the hardest job a keeper's had to do in the last 30-40 years...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah keeping to Murali and spinners in Sri Lanka is far more taxing than anything Adam "Dropsy" Gilchrist ever did.

Red

Yeah keeping to Murali and spinners in Sri Lanka is far more taxing than anything Adam "Dropsy" Gilchrist ever did.
Absurd, and deliberately lame attempt at being inflammatory.

And keeping to leg spinners is far more difficult that keeping to off spinners.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Actually surprised at the support for Adam "Go Slow" Gilchrist. It's pretty clear the he is behind Sangakkara, ABdeV and OPWB.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Red Hill - You don't need Gilchrist in a all-time XI, because his batting would not give you the 50-55 average of the PAK 99 - NZ 2005 period of career, that had everyone rating him as next level. Thus one is better of picking the keeper batsman who combined excellent glovework and batting the best in cricket history & that would be Allan Knott.

I would more say cricket fans should look beyond the stats in Sangakkara case when speaking about who was the best batting keeper of all-time/last 25 years in comparison to Gilchrist. Sanga showed in his limited overs career, if he was given a more realistic and flexible role to combine batting/keeper ability he excelled with equal competence.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Erroneous, Jeets doesn't take wickets in New Zealand.
Yeah, but #TeamTimAmbrose isn't quite as fun.

Also harder to 'keep to Jeets when he's not taking wickets -- longer stints in the field to concentrate and avoid conceding byes. Even more difficult when the opening bowler is Heef Davis.

Red

I have no issue with someone picking Knott over Gilchrist based on actual test performance.

But you want to pick Sanga based on what might've been. Can't have it both ways.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'll argue forever about how good a keeper Gilchrist was. Keeping to Warne and MacGill is the hardest job a keeper's had to do in the last 30-40 years...
I would argue Indian keeper Farook Engineer & Syed Kirmani keeping consistently to famous 70s Indian spin quarter of Chandrasekar/Prasanna/Bedi/Venkat was definitely more difficult.

But of course I'm not questioning Gilly's keeping credentials, he was very good - a slight level below Healy however.