• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Runs off a deflection

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I was watching the NZ v SA game last night and saw an incident in which a South African outfielder threw down the stumps, causing a ricochet which the batsmen took another run off.

Now, I don't think it's fair that the fielding side should be penalised for good fielding like that. Perhaps the ball should be signalled dead after the stumps are broken by a throw?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
with correct backing up you very rareley give away any runs, if you do its only 1, its not worth changing the rules though

Swervy

International Captain
i guess the lesson to be learnt from that is to have more tha one fielder backing up, to cover all eventualities

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've thought a similar thing for quite a while, and it does get mentioned from time to time on commentary.
Knowing I"better late than never"CC, it'll probably come to pass in about 2007.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree, it should by all rights be a dead ball, it's hit the wicket and in order to run the batsman out you would have to pick up a single stump to dismiss the batsman. If the bails come off it's a dead ball.