• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scott Brant

Craig

World Traveller
Does anybody rate him?

I think has some ability to be a good bowler, and is fairly accurate. I know he had some success with Essex (they are the greatest County on earth ;) ) last year before getting injured.

Probably would be in the Zimbabwean team if he didnt move to Australia.

iamdavid

International Debutant
He's certainly got some ability.

Not overly quick (mid-high 120's) , but as you mentioned his control is very good & he is capable of swinging the ball both ways , a huge natural advantage.
IMO he's also got the potential to be handy with the bat.

In helpful conditions he can be a real handful & his attitude is superb , he'll run in all day & never stop trying.
But at this stage I just dont know if he's got the penetration on dead wickets.

I personally rate Johnson higher than him anyway......
BTW does anyone know whats up with Johnson , he took a 4 fer in the ING cup earlier this year & has since just dissapeared off the face of the earth....hopefully Mister Wright can shed some light:)

In time I reckon Brant will develop into a pretty good FC bowler , but he dosent have an international future , at least not in Australia.

Doubt he'd play for Zimbabwe either , not a matter of ability just that he's white.

Craig

World Traveller
Mitch Johnson is consistently injured. It is a shame that he cant stay fit.

Dont know what is wrong with his action though (I havent seen him bowl).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely Johnson is one of those with an unsustainable action?
If he changes it he will be a lesser bowler, if he doesn't he won't bowl much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Regarding Brant his control wasn't especially impressive last season for Essex. Offered some penetration, in conditions that were sometimes helpful, but certainly not an international prospect I don't reckon.
Possibly a state-standard player and would easily make most county sides.
Though I'd still prefer it if his type weren't engaged as overseas-players.
Got tough competition from Bichel, Kasprowicz and Dawes.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
Surely Johnson is one of those with an unsustainable action?
If he changes it he will be a lesser bowler, if he doesn't he won't bowl much.
Nah his action is pretty good nowadays , used to be a little wonky but he's done plenty of work with DK.
But he's still getting injured :(

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
iamdavid said:
He's certainly got some ability.

Not overly quick (mid-high 120's) , but as you mentioned his control is very good & he is capable of swinging the ball both ways , a huge natural advantage.
IMO he's also got the potential to be handy with the bat.

In helpful conditions he can be a real handful & his attitude is superb , he'll run in all day & never stop trying.
But at this stage I just dont know if he's got the penetration on dead wickets.

I personally rate Johnson higher than him anyway......
BTW does anyone know whats up with Johnson , he took a 4 fer in the ING cup earlier this year & has since just dissapeared off the face of the earth....hopefully Mister Wright can shed some light:)

In time I reckon Brant will develop into a pretty good FC bowler , but he dosent have an international future , at least not in Australia.

Doubt he'd play for Zimbabwe either , not a matter of ability just that he's white.
IMO there is not much between Brant & Johnson. Brant probably has better control than Johnson, but is not as quick. Johnson has a side strain (I think) but did bowl very well in the couple of games he did play. The advse I would give to both players is "get the hell out of Queensland" because if they stay they will struggle to get into the Austrlalian sides behind the glamour boys with much worse records from N.S.W whom the selectors (otherwise known as the N.S.W. media) continue to choose.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Joe Dawes is rubbish.

And regarding Zimbabwe, if they could have Brant they would take him. He probably doenst want to live there, for obvious reasons.

Mister Wright

Prince EWS said:
Joe Dawes is rubbish.

And regarding Zimbabwe, if they could have Brant they would take him. He probably doenst want to live there, for obvious reasons.
How did Joe Dawes enter the equation?

Here is his first class bowling record, far from rubbish:

61 Matches

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
1972.5 497 5799 234 24.78 7-67 8 2 50.5 2.93

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Someone mentioned that there was tough competion with Joe Dawes, Andy Bichel and Michael Kaprowicz. I have always believ Daews (and Hopes for that matter) are extremely overated.

Mister Wright

Prince EWS said:
Someone mentioned that there was tough competion with Joe Dawes, Andy Bichel and Michael Kaprowicz. I have always believ Daews (and Hopes for that matter) are extremely overated.
If anything Dawes is under-rated.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prince EWS said:
Joe Dawes is rubbish.
As Kyle has attempted to demonstrate, this is a very bizarre statement.
He's been nowhere near as good this last year (county and state) than previously, but he is by no streatch of the imagination rubbish. One of the better bowlers in Australia.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Brants a good prospect, if he gets a descant run for QLD i think he will show more what hes capable of, but hes quite a good bowler if he continues to improve i would say hes an outside chance at an international career.

Johnson is a fantastic prospect, but injury prone, if he can get through a season without an injury i think we might see him close to an international call up.

Dawes isn't that great, hes an ok bowler though

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It really isn't a good sign when a guy in his early 20's is constantly ruled out with injury.

Shane Bond was similar in his early days for Canterbury, he was constantly having niggles & then finally got the killer blow which put him out for around 2 years.

Craig

World Traveller
Besides, Allan Border, how many of the currant selectors are from Sydney?

Anyway I think Border has been in Queensland long enough to be considered a Queenslander.

Mister Wright

Craig said:
Besides, Allan Border, how many of the currant selectors are from Sydney?

Anyway I think Border has been in Queensland long enough to be considered a Queenslander.
Allan Border & Hohns both played for Queensland, Boon is from Tassie and Hilditch (sp?) is from South Australia.

It has nothing to do with where the selectors are from, it is what the N.S.W. media say that makes the difference. If the selectors decide to go for an experienced, proven and performing Queenslander ahead of an un-experienced, un-proven, non-performer from N.S.W. who suddenly has a good season they (the N.S.W. media) rip into the selectors and will call for the Queenslander's head, as soon as he has a bad day, and will put any poor performance from an emerging player from N.S.W. down to lack of experience, and say he should get as many goes as he likes until he proves himself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why is media from NSW so prominent?
The fact of the media essentially making selection is one prevolant certainly here in England, and quite probably everywhere, and the misled attitudes to young\old players are perpetuated basically throughout the cricketing (and indeed sporting) World.
But why do NSW media have more prominence than, say, Victorian or WA media?