• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh's highest test score was pretty damn low (153*), I always found this weird

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Geoff Lawson's was the best. Such a unique bloke. His views of the spot fixing saga are completely different to what you'll hear from anyone really (obv cos he coached them previously).

Plus the way he spoke of the Lillee vs. Kim Hughes rivalry. Border spoke about it too I think.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
tbh it wasn't exactly a team that needed guys to go big on a regular basis. I'm speaking completely anecdotally here, but there weren't many big scores by Australian batsmen in that era -- especially not considering how ****ing good they all were. And when they did go big, it was only ever the top 3 who did it.

Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Clarke, Martyn, Gilchrist never had that many chances to get above 150 before the team was in position to declare, simply because Langer-Hayden-Ponting were so consistently brilliant up top.
Think you are conflating your Aussie teams there, Hayden-Langer-Ponting was mostly a force around 2002-06, after Mark Waugh retired.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Think you are conflating your Aussie teams there, Hayden-Langer-Ponting was mostly a force around 2002-06, after Mark Waugh retired.
Hm, yes, right you are. For some strange reason I thought Waugh hung on for an extra year than he did in reality.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Either way the point stands. Slater, Taylor and Boon were usually doing the job prior to that anyway. For a period of time Boon was easily the best batsman around.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geoff Lawson's was the best. Such a unique bloke. His views of the spot fixing saga are completely different to what you'll hear from anyone really (obv cos he coached them previously).

Plus the way he spoke of the Lillee vs. Kim Hughes rivalry. Border spoke about it too I think.
yeah saw some of it last night. was really interesting. loved the bit about how, of course, it wasn't really that much better for the players post WSC

Top_Cat

Nope.

That and even if it was a declaration, doubt he'd have scored too much more considering he was sick/running from both ends.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha Yep, I remember being able to choose Harbhajan in Shane Warne Cricket 99 on Playstation. I didn't know who he was but my cousin who lived in India did and said he was going to be good.

3 years later he was right.

1 year after that he was possibly half-right.

OverratedSanity

Haha Yep, I remember being able to choose Harbhajan in Shane Warne Cricket 99 on Playstation. I didn't know who he was but my cousin who lived in India did and said he was going to be good.

3 years later he was right.

1 year after that he was possibly half-right.
Nah come on Bhajji remained damn good for a long while after that.Gets trotted out too often that Bhajji was crap for the majority of his career apart from 2001.