• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Papps replaces Cumming

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
What you think of the new zealand side selected fr first match.. really happy to see papps in the side. well deserved. Also mason back is good as he really have bowled well.

Mingster

State Regular
Tamara said:
What you think of the new zealand side selected fr first match.. really happy to see papps in the side. well deserved. Also mason back is good as he really have bowled well.
Yes same, but Southern Man will say soon that Papps is in terrible form and can't score when it matters on the basis of one game.

Papps was clearly the form opener of the comp, and has performed for two years in a row now, just like Bracewell had pointed out.

Good to see Chris Martin nearing his best today.

anzac

International Debutant
Fleming
Cairns
Papps
Marshall
Styris
McMillan
McCullum
Vettori
Tuffey
Mills
Mason
Butler
Oram

glad to see Papps get a shot.........
not too sure about Cairns & Macca - we'll have to wait & see how they front up otherwise ...........

similarly Marshall's continued lack of runs in doemstic limited overs games must be a concern - he is putting himself under a lot of pressure to maintain his form in ODIs & may not get too many chances if he fails v RSA..........

Mason gets another call up after coming into form in the last couple of Shield games including the final............Butler's inclusion must mean the selectors have a specific task with him after his being dropped in the middle of the PAK series, and then not having much form in subsequent Shield games.........

if Marshall or McMillan 'fail' then Sinclair & Fulton would then come into consideration, followed by Taylor. However judging by their consistency with Cumming I doubt we will see any batting changes in this ODI series unless thru injury or complete loss of any form.........

:)

Kent

State 12th Man
Hmm, Mason.

I feel better about him than Adams or Butler, but I still look at his action and imagine someone like Gibbs in a seat next to me, seeing the "cannon fodder!!" smirk on his face.

We'll see I guess.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Welldone paps for making it he deserves it, BUT I cant see him doing that well he has shown that he has wilted under pressure and under the selctors eye.

Mingster

State Regular
Kent said:
Hmm, Mason.

I feel better about him than Adams or Butler, but I still look at his action and imagine someone like Gibbs in a seat next to me, seeing the "cannon fodder!!" smirk on his face.

We'll see I guess.
Well many said that about Tuffey as well.

Good thing about Mason, is that he has shown the ability to swing the ball, much like Mills. One of them will miss out on the final XI.

Ian Butler's selection is still a mystery to me. He isn't as fast as everyone builds him upto be. Chris Martin probably bowled at the same pace yesterday, as well as some movement off the deck.

Butler's accuracy, lack of movement, won't trouble quality batsman.

He either bowls too short, or too full. He just can't find that one-day length.

Butler's more of a Test bowler to me.

Mingster

State Regular
southern man said:
Welldone paps for making it he deserves it, BUT I cant see him doing that well he has shown that he has wilted under pressure and under the selctors eye.
Wilted under pressure? What the hell? There was pressure for everyone to do well in the Final and he received a jaffer of a ball from Mason.

Under the selector's eye? Don't you think the selectors have been watching all for the whole season now since that he has been selected for his 'whole' season of form. One thing I can promise you, is that Bracewell didn't select from the Final only, like you are saying.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Of course they didnt select the players on the final performaces papps made it didnt he?

Wilited under pressure, didnt show chracter, Failed to change his way according to the pitch any of those would do.

Isnt it 3 Jaffas from Mason or does the North South game not count.

Iam sure the selectors were at the final.

Well ofcourse he didnt select from final form otherwise Taylor would of been there, He should of been there anyway.

Mingster

State Regular
southern man said:
Of course they didnt select the players on the final performaces papps made it didnt he?

Wilited under pressure, didnt show chracter, Failed to change his way according to the pitch any of those would do.

Well ofcourse he didnt select from final form otherwise Taylor would of been there, He should of been there anyway.
3 jaffas? What?

None of the batsman in the North and South game adjusted to the conditions.

Taylor should not have been there. For who then? Its too young for him. Give him at least one more season.

Mingster

State Regular
Yes I know he would be good enough.

But are we that desperate in bloody him 'now'?

I mean we aren't exactly short of middle-order options at the moment.

The top-order is under more scrutiny.

Mingster

State Regular
Sorry, I meant openers especially Cumming.

Why would we rotate our best players for the highlight of the summer against the 2nd best team in SA?

Seriously, there would be no room for Taylor in a 13-man squad anyway. You would need to chuck out either Mills or Mason.

If Taylor was to make the squad, he would be on the sidelines, when he could be playing first class cricket, which would enchance his chance of a England tour call.

Taylor is young, he has plenty of time ahead of him.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
southern man said:

Na it doesn't really count for much...the pitch was belter but was undone by an hour and a half rain tantrum which seeped under the covers and onto the block. Oh and the fact that you could syncronise swim in the outfield wasn't too great either.

Groundsmen did ok in the end.

And the 100+ strong crowd was fantastic...all in all I think the Macca + Astlees less game was a bit of a disaster and after they announced the team during the middle of it did it matter how well you played?

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:

Seriously, there would be no room for Taylor in a 13-man squad anyway. You would need to chuck out either Mills or Mason.

nah, if you were going to replace anyone there would be question marks hanging over Cairns & more so McMillan currently.......at least Cairns is putting his batting together which is something (doesn't negate the fact that he needs to be able to bowl 10 good overs in my book tho')..........

but having said that as I said b4 I think that Fulton & Sinclair are probably ahead of Taylor in the pecking order ATM..........not that I think the selectors are contemplating dropping anyone from this ODI series unless they have to.......

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Other than Butler I reckon this is the best team we can put together. Why people see potential in him I have no idea, he's not even that fast.

Interesting the comments about Sinclair. I've always thought he was better suited to FC/Tests. His records suggests this, even taking into account his brilliant hundred in the North/South game. I'd really love to see him back in the test team, batting at 3.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Funnily enough I met Michael Papps at a restaurant in Christchurch yesterday. My Uncle's friend's son flats with Michael and so I was lucky enough to wish him all the best for Friday at Eden Park.

2 low scores in 2 important matches isn't ideal for Papps, but he's played plenty of first class cricket now & he's also been in the eye of the NZ selectors ever since he played for the NZ U19's in the 1998 World Cup so he'll be ready.

Mingster

State Regular
anzac said:
nah, if you were going to replace anyone there would be question marks hanging over Cairns & more so McMillan currently.......at least Cairns is putting his batting together which is something (doesn't negate the fact that he needs to be able to bowl 10 good overs in my book tho')..........

but having said that as I said b4 I think that Fulton & Sinclair are probably ahead of Taylor in the pecking order ATM..........not that I think the selectors are contemplating dropping anyone from this ODI series unless they have to.......

This is really the first year Fulton has scored runs in the SS, same as Taylor.

McMillan is an engnima, don't remember he played a great innings in the last ODI against Pak as well.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
To Fulton's credit, he scored runs in both matches over the weekend & to be honest upstaged his more experienced team-mates.
I think he'll definately be in with a chance of playing for NZ next season, but he may also need to fix up his fielding..because he's so tall he seems to be a little lazy at reaching down at times.