• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two Irfan Pathans?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
8D Grammar Patrol 8D

No apostrophe in a pluralisation!
As a matter of principle I shall not change.

Imran Khan's.....................................

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Two Irfan Pathans?

Neil Pickup said:
I remind you that statistics are not all..
So people seriously believe Pathan has had a succesful international career to date?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: Re: Re: Two Irfan Pathans?

Richard said:
So people seriously believe Pathan has had a succesful international career to date?
Depends how you define 'successful'.

You're probably better asking someone like Sangrah here.

twctopcat

International Regular
Pathan has only just started his international career, it's the potential that is needed, and is there. Not everyone starts with a 5 for, especially against australia in their first series. If his figures are still bad in a year then you need to start thinking about him.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
There are also 2 shoaib akhtars,3 mushtaq ahmed and also 2 zaheer khans in pakistan domestic cricket.there is also 2 inzaman-ul-fat

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Re: Re: Re: Two Irfan Pathans?

Richard said:
3 months ago Pathan was in the India under 19 squad. He has an ordinary start to his test career, not looking impressive.

However, with every game in the VB series, he has looked better with a lot of advice from Akram (they show him interacting with Akram a lot on ESPN in India) The progress made by Pathan is praiseworthy as not many people jump the level from under 19 to international cricket so quickly. A parallel can be drawn with James Anderson in this regard.

Pathan hasnt done any thing great but has a lot of fighting spirit/fire in his belly and the talent. The selectors were spot on in chosing him for Australia I feel.

FRAZ

International Captain
Just curious to know that is there any Player with The last name sandwich or Dracula playing on any level .Cuz these are English names. May be Dracula is the last name

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Two Irfan Pathans?

Pratyush said:
3 months ago Pathan was in the India under 19 squad. He has an ordinary start to his test career, not looking impressive.

However, with every game in the VB series, he has looked better with a lot of advice from Akram (they show him interacting with Akram a lot on ESPN in India) The progress made by Pathan is praiseworthy as not many people jump the level from under 19 to international cricket so quickly. A parallel can be drawn with James Anderson in this regard.

Pathan hasnt done any thing great but has a lot of fighting spirit/fire in his belly and the talent. The selectors were spot on in chosing him for Australia I feel.
Anderson's had a sillily good start to his ODI career.
Pathan has shown some talent, but as of yet not enough - it is bascially fact that his accuracy ATM is not good enough for Test or ODI cricket.
Whether this can change is, of course, something we can only wait and see but the fact is Pathan's record at the moment is very, very poor and he's not bowled any better than it.
He bowls the odd very good ball but not that many, and plenty of rubbish in between.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Two Irfan Pathans?

Richard said:
Anderson's had a sillily good start to his ODI career.
Pathan has shown some talent, but as of yet not enough - it is bascially fact that his accuracy ATM is not good enough for Test or ODI cricket.
Whether this can change is, of course, something we can only wait and see but the fact is Pathan's record at the moment is very, very poor and he's not bowled any better than it.
He bowls the odd very good ball but not that many, and plenty of rubbish in between.
The progress made by him in 3 months is amazing. I gave the Anderson example to show the quick rise, similar to that of Anderson who rose from club level to international level in about 8 months. Pathan is obviously not great but he is pretty damn good for a guy as inexperienced as him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point, surely, then, is that neither should have been picked.
Meteoric rises from the low levels to internationals in short spaces of times nearly always end in tears (of course, like anything, there are exceptions - Tendulkar, Imran and a few others).
I seriously hope Anderson does not become one of the clan, but it may already be too late.

priyapatel

Cricket Spectator
against pakistan irfan k pathan played and on the botton of the web site there is a link of irfan s pathan pics of irfan takin wickets of pakistani players in 2004 :wacko: and when i searched on yahoo there is no info on Irfan Safi Pathan apart from the link sum1 gave

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at the Irfan Safi Pathan page more carefully and you will find links to pictures of Irfan Khan Pathan in action!

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, but that's just a CricInfo error, and a silly one at that. Perhaps Sudeep will be able to clarify this one....how is Irfan Safi Pathan and is he a decent bowler?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
Yeah, but that's just a CricInfo error, and a silly one at that. Perhaps Sudeep will be able to clarify this one....how is Irfan Safi Pathan and is he a decent bowler?
CricInfo errors are sometimes hilarious.

I have not seen IS Pathan bowl, but I have read a comment by Sandeep Patil- he said that the Baroda medium-pacer was quite good at that time, but too slow.

c8w

Cricket Spectator
masterblaster said:
Just saw this thread. Irfan Safi is a decent enough bowler, but not really seen
as an international prospect at this time I dont think. Doesnt always make the
Baroda side (Shekhar Joshi etc are all ahead of him, even when Irfan and Zaher
are away - Rakesh Patel is the 3rd seamer for Baroda). However he is playing
for Baroda today against Maharashtra.

BTW, Irfan Safi is *not* Irfan Khan's brother - no relation at all, just the same name
and they both happen to play for Baroda. They used to be referred to as "Irfan
Senior" and "Irfan Junior" in their younger days (ie U19s etc), mostly as a means
to differentiate them :-)

The international Irfan Pathan's brother is actually Yusuf Pathan - he is an offspinning
allrounder type, mostly an offspinner but used to be an allrounder at the U19
level. He is also now in the Baroda Ranji side - played the first game of the
season for them a week ago, and is also playing against Maharashtra today.

c8w

masterblaster

International Captain
The fantastic thing is though is that they're both born in October and are both Left Arm Medium Fast bowlers.

The world is an amazing place. I'll be keeping an eye out for Yusuf Pathan and his all round skills.