• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is NZ touring Australia later this year?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Why is the WACA's future up in the air?

Are there doubts about its future as an international venue for cricket?
This, and the fact that it didn't get to host a test this season gave me the impression its future is uncertain.
WACA future under microscope | cricket.com.au

Perhaps it happened simply because this is a "shortened season", so I could be off the mark. I suppose the WACA could be reinstated for the next couple of years, but may be jettisoned when the new stadium comes up in 2018. Any Aussies in the know?

Marius

International Debutant
This, and the fact that it didn't get to host a test this season gave me the impression its future is uncertain.
WACA future under microscope | cricket.com.au

Perhaps it happened simply because this is a "shortened season", so I could be off the mark. I suppose the WACA could be reinstated for the next couple of years, but may be jettisoned when the new stadium comes up in 2018. Any Aussies in the know?
Just had a look, and the stadium only got three games for the World Cup. Two are (probably) nothing games - India vs UAE and Australia vs Afghanistan. The other game is India vs WI, and they didn't get any of the knockout games, so it definitely does look like the WACA has been left out in the cold a bit.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
IIRC the WACA has poor facilities as compared to the other grounds and WACA are also not attempting to renovate the ground or something like that. Really a pity since the WACA pitch is one of the most unique venues for test cricket and encourages a lively, fast-paced game.

Marius

International Debutant
IIRC the WACA has poor facilities as compared to the other grounds and WACA are also not attempting to renovate the ground or something like that. Really a pity since the WACA pitch is one of the most unique venues for test cricket and encourages a lively, fast-paced game.
Yeah, South Africa always does well there.

We've won both the last two Tests we've played there.

:D

EDIT: Just checked Cricinfo, and South Africa has only played three Tests there, the first of which was drawn in 2005.

How many countries have an unbeaten Test record on any Australian ground?

Last edited:

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Haha true and indeed the 2012 match vs Aus that I had in mind while I was writing that post. Was an entertaining game - AB and Amla blitzing all the way through. There were also a couple of screaming catches by the Aussies (MJ and Lyon I think). Good venue, shame about the poor facilities.

Oh and I think the WACA is just not being considered as a test venue. It's got quite a lot of ODI games this summer, 2 against SA, 2 in this tri-series and 3 in the WC. So not too bad.

Last edited:

Moss

EDIT: Just checked Cricinfo, and South Africa has only played three Tests there, the first of which was drawn in 2005.

How many countries have an unbeaten Test record on any Australian ground?
NZ themselves haven't done too badly. 1-2 win-loss record plus three draws. Two of those draws were pretty legendary - 1989 (when Greatbatch apparently batted on and on for 146 to deny the Aussies a certain victory), and that test in 2001 (Vincent's debut, 4 centurions in NZ's first innings, and a couple of dodgy umpiring decisions short of an upset victory).

Yup, would be a shame if the trampoline pitch, fremantle doctor et al become purely a thing of the past. Besides, being on the west coast it meant as a subcontinental TV viewer you didn't have to wake up too early in the morning to be able to catch the game!

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Oh and I think the WACA is just not being considered as a test venue. It's got quite a lot of ODI games this summer, 2 against SA, 2 in this tri-series and 3 in the WC. So not too bad.

The CA logic has generally been 'last in, first out' for Test venues. 5 Test summer sees Hobart losing it's gig, 4 Test summer gets rid of Perth too.

Moss

The CA logic has generally been 'last in, first out' for Test venues. 5 Test summer sees Hobart losing it's gig, 4 Test summer gets rid of Perth too.
So then it comes down to whether CA see it as a 4, 5 or maybe even 6 test summer. Hmmm.

Will be interested to see what they do with the ODI program too, given that NZ haven't been invited for any 50-over cricket since the 2009 Chappell Hadlee series.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So then it comes down to whether CA see it as a 4, 5 or maybe even 6 test summer. Hmmm.

Will be interested to see what they do with the ODI program too, given that NZ haven't been invited for any 50-over cricket since the 2009 Chappell Hadlee series.
Usually CA runs with a 3-2, 4-2 or 5-0 split, and they're only really running the 4 Tests this year because of the World Cup (ODI series vs. RSA ran into when the 'Gabba Test usually starts). They'll have to go a minimum of 5 next year, with New Zealand and the West Indies both touring.

Brisbane & Adelaide will be NZ games. Melbourne & Sydney will be WI games. Whether NZ gets a third Test is up in the air, though I'd expect them to get Hobart and the WI to get Perth (though I'd rather see it the other way around, tbh. Southee/Boult on the WACA...).

Basically, my heart says 6 Test, head says it might be 5. Perth should be on the cards unless they're super keen to make this Manuka push happen.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Why on earth would we be second billing to the WI? Has CA got the memo that it isn't 1982 anymore? 3 tests to us and a token one for the WI as lets be honest the WI one would be lucky to last 4 days.

howardj

International Coach
I'm still quietly holding on to about 0.00001% of hope that the powers at be at NZC somehow convince Cricket Australia to allow us to steal that damn Boxing day test off the Windies. :p

I mean c'mon, we'd not only provide as good if not a better challenge on the park, but I wouldn't have thought the Windies would create that much more in TV hosting rights than us would they? And wouldn't the boxing day crowds at the 'G' be even better with the prospect of a trans tasman match-up?

I say this mainly with tongue in cheek of course only because I'm so jealous of the Windies getting that Melbourne test. We haven't had a boxing day test there since that absolute epic draw in 1987, and this will be about the best side we're likely to send since then.
I am very bullish about this series; it has the potential to be a ripper

Anyway, it's NZ not Australia who don't want MCG Boxing Day Test - they, like South Africa, now want to establish their own Boxing Day tradition and refuse to tour here over the Christmas period.

As to the makeup of the Series, I heard the NZ cricket chief say that there will be six Tests against Australia (three here and three over the dutch)

FOllowing the Sheffield Shield trials, Adelaide is no longer the preferred venue for the day-night Test - rather Brisbane has emerged as the frontrunner along with Perth/Hobart (I can't remember which)

As for the other touring team out here next Summer, Cricket Australia director Mark Taylor was asked about this on Channel Nine and said it would 'likely be the Windies, but it is yet to be confirmed'

I think it may depend on their competitiveness in the two Test series we play over there in June. If that's a debacle, I suspect Pakistan may be drafted if available

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I am very bullish about this series; it has the potential to be a ripper

Anyway, it's NZ not Australia who don't want MCG Boxing Day Test - they, like South Africa, now want to establish their own Boxing Day tradition and refuse to tour here over the Christmas period.
Nah, NZC has gone on the record as saying they're really keen to play in the MCG boxing day test:

New Zealand eye Boxing Day test against Australia in Melbourne | Stuff.co.nz

Though the FTP is all but sorted, [NZC CEO David White] still hoped New Zealand could appear in its first Melbourne Boxing Day test since 1987.

"I can't divulge what's in the Future Tours Programme but the harsh reality is the teams [Australia] want for Boxing Day are the most attractive teams and the most competitive teams. The side's on-field performances are making us more attractive and we'll absolutely be pushing for it."

howardj

International Coach
Oh ok, cool

On the Sky Sports interview, he made it sound like NZ wanted the Boxing Day Test in NZ next year

Maybe they do want to establish that tradition of having one over there each year, but shelve it every four years for the opportunity to play in Melbourne