• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1st in each group goes straight to semi-finals and WorldT20.
2nd vs 3rd in each group for the second semi-finalists, and the 3rd and 4th spots in the WorldT20.
Loser of 2nd vs 3rd plays the 4th placed in the group for the 5th and 6th spots in the WorldT20.
That can't be right? Then short of topping the group it's most advantageous to finish 4th.

Briggs

Banned
didn't you just suggest HK go and pick Yasim Murtaza - a Pakistani FC cricketer who has just moved to the country 2-3 years ago - at the expense of their local home grown talent?
I said that coz HK to their credit have a lot of players from their own setup whereas in UAE team there are hardly any players in their current team who played for their U19 team. Having one or two expats is fine but having it filled with expats is a travesty for other teams.

cnerd123

likes this
That can't be right? Then short of topping the group it's most advantageous to finish 4th.
Not really. 2nd/3rd place get two cracks at qualifying for the WC. If they lose the first play-off, they get a second play-off against the 4th place side. The 4th placed team only gets one chance to qualify.

The worst position to be in is finishing 2nd, but then losing the 2nd vs 3rd playoff. Then you're in a must-win game against 4th place. That's not a position I would want to be in.

Briggs

Banned
No: 2nd and 3rd team in each group have two chances to win a play-off to qualify, but the 4th-placed have to win their repechage match.
It's better to finish 4th tbh. You just have one match and losing team is bound to be low on confidence. For e.g HK should have tried to finish 4th cause I think they can defeat teams like Singapore or PNG as those teams usually fail under pressure but thats all gone now so the teams which I think will qualify are:

Netherlands
Scotland
Ireland
Oman
UAE
Canada

Briggs

Banned
Change the venue and see the drop in the performance. Oman who looked unbeatable till now falters against Ireland who were hammered by UAE so it shows that teams like these are useless for Australian conditions and would get annihilated by teams like Bangladesh and SL in T20.

Briggs

Banned
I wonder how players from these expat teams get along when their own countries are going through war-like hostility especially when they don't really owe anything to the countries they are playing. The thing to be noted is that most of these players are not educated at all and are quite conservative themselves.

Daemon

I wonder how players from these expat teams get along when their own countries are going through war-like hostility especially when they don't really owe anything to the countries they are playing. The thing to be noted is that most of these players are not educated at all and are quite conservative themselves.
Don't see any animosity at all in the Singapore scene, regardless of education level.

cnerd123

likes this
In Hong Kong all of us involved love cricket, and cricket is what helps us bridge cultural, social and language barriers. In no other aspect of life in HK will you see such a diverse group of people sharing a field and enjoying each others company. It's beautiful how the sport brings us all together.

Briggs

Banned
In Hong Kong all of us involved love cricket, and cricket is what helps us bridge cultural, social and language barriers. In no other aspect of life in HK will you see such a diverse group of people sharing a field and enjoying each others company. It's beautiful how the sport brings us all together.
That's because most of HK players are either educated or homegrown so they have some kind of loyalty to the country. The case is different for UAE and Oman. Most of the players moved there in order to live a better life and play cricket as time pass.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The opener tryed to swing his bat at KOB I guess when he got out or at least it looked a bit like that

But yeah one questionable incident.. And from 3 years ago too lol

_Ed_

Watching a replay of Canada v Nigeria at the moment. There's a fair bit to work with among the Nigerian bowlers, IMO.

EDIT: But the fielding (especially catching) is... quite bad.

Last edited:

Briggs

Banned
Watching a replay of Canada v Nigeria at the moment. There's a fair bit to work with among the Nigerian bowlers, IMO.

EDIT: But the fielding (especially catching) is... quite bad.
The players are not strong either. When you see Caribbean players you see that they are strong and can clear boundary with ease but these Nigerian cricketers don't have the physique for cricket even though most of them are really young.