• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

N.D v Canterbury

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
17/6...the pitch is not the best, but some of the shots have been extremely poor largely due to the fact that N.D have just totally lost the plot.

When N.D are sending out batsmen at 5 & 6 averaging 17 & 9 respectively, well I don't see anything but trouble.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
theyve rebuilded quite well,but there is no excuse for being 17/6.

atm they're 97/7...

and in the otago vs canturbury one,cumming got 52...guess every bowler seems slow to him after facing Akhtar!:lol:

harris also got 4-44.otage finished 270/9 off 50 overs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Auckland let N.D off the hook then that would be more embarassing then N.D being bowled out for 80.
Bruce Martin looks a pretty handy player to me, he can bowl really well & his batting is also quite good.

Yeah I was surprised that Otago got that close in the end...but in those situations the bowlers usually lax off when the game seems gone.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
I had the chance, nay the honour, of heading up to Aorangi Oval and watch Pete Fulton smash an unbeaten ton, to watch Shannon Stewart ably assist him, to watch Christopher Cairns bully his way to 66 off 50 odd balls, to see Michael Papps dismissed by a blinder of a catch at 2nd slip (down low, to the right), to watch Christopher Zinzan Harris hit the biggest 6 of the day straight down the ground. I was able to watch Craig Cumming take Otago to about 5 an over at the 20 over mark, but I was most glad to see C.Z. Harris take 4 wickets, all of them earned on a belter of a pitch with the lightning fast outfield.

Oh and by the time McSkimming came in Otago were down the gurgler anyway at 200 odd for 7 odd with 7/8 odd overs to go so there was no reason to promote him, even if he did hit some very clean sixes of Paul Wiseman who bowled the 48th and 50th over.

Basically the game was dead and buried after 40 overs.

Oh and Cairns was caught on the mid-on boundary, Stewart at short fine leg off a tame sweep so Papps wicket was the only one earned by the Otago bowlers.

And it was very hot. Then cold and windy.

Bring on the finals!

southern man

U19 Cricketer
I still think a Wilson batting at 4 would of helped the team aswell

But well done Canterbury.

I wishe we could nap a batsman off you.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
I only realised a quarter of the way through the game that Wilson wouldn't be playing due to a hamstring injury? Also Craig McMillan was not back as of yet, I presume he will be playing on Sunday alongside (fingers crossed) Mr Astle?

Anyway a pretty damn good game just a pity that it wasn't an exciting climactic finish but ya take the ups with the downs, and giving Wozza McSkims a load of bullocking at fin leg was well worth the afternoon.

Mingster

State Regular
Yes, all the Black Caps will be back by Sunday.

Cairns I heard blized a quickfire 66 as well.

Wilson batting at 4 wouldn't have made a difference, you just want to put him up and up and up more don't you SM? You need to protect him more from the new ball.

Otago's bowling attack was doing wonders for them before the Black Caps came back, but now it seems pretty weak. Scott seems medium-fast at best and McSkimming is medium-pace while Rushton is the same. You really need Wilson at the bowling crease.

The match of the round on Sunday has to be at the Eden Park Outer Oval. Auckland v CD. You can bet I'm heading there.

Love too see the likes of Spearman, How, Sinclair, Taylor, Ryder and Oram batting in action. The pitch will be a cracker as it always is with Mark the groundsman.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I may head down to the match on Sunday too, it's good to see Central playing well because there's no doubt there's alot of talent coming out of that region.

Mingster

State Regular
CD have arguably the most talented batting lineup in the country.

With Spearman and How opening up, Sinclair and Taylor at 3 and 4, with Ryder, Oram and Sulzberger in the middle, that's pretty handy.

Their bowling attack is nicely balanced with Mason and left-armer Hamilton opening up and Oram and Schwass at first-change. Furlong and Sulzberger bowling their off-breaks as well.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
At FC level, yep thats a pretty solid lineup. Although it probably hasn't been as good as Canterbury's top 4 this season, Ross Taylor has played a few match winning innings single-handedly for C.D.

A few years ago I was at the State Shield final and Richard Petrie smashed the biggest six i've ever seen over the comm box at the Outer oval...apparently Ross Taylor can hit BIG when he gets going so hopefully he'll hit a few big sixes like Petrie did that day.

I can tell you though that Auckland will not get away with another bowling slip like tonight against an in form batting lineup like C.D.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep Cairns hit a quick 66 couple of big sixes...was reminiscant (?? spelling) off his fastest first class 50 last year except today he took a few balls to get settled. And there were no silly dabs or prods...he hit a huge six without much power in the shot very well timed. Have to say he got a bigger ovation when he got out than when Fulton got his 100...that was a bit dodgy.

McSkimming bowled very well considering the run rate, at one point was 0-18 off 8 overs not sure what he ended up with but was very tight nonetheless.

Last edited:

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
And I also see the C.Z. Harris is 91 runs away from 6000 first class runs, still at an average of 45.5...if he got back to brilliant form would there be a place for him in the national side?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The news is that Jacob Oram returns for C.D tommorow...but Jesse Ryder is still injured & will not play.