• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TriSeries in Holland?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Australia, India and Pakistan are set to play a Tri-Series in Holland in August 2004.

Having already confirmed the three sides would play a tournament in Europe before September's ICC Champions Trophy (to be held in England), an India Times report claimed that a PCB spokesman stated that Amstelveen's VRA Ground will host the tournament, subject to ICC inspection.

"The ICC inspection committee, in consultation with senior representatives of the Pakistan, Indian and Australian Boards, will clear the venue for the tournament."

"The VRA Ground has already hosted a one-day international, when South Africa and Kenya played there in the 1999 World Cup."

This happens to be the same time that I'm working in Northern Europe with Eurocamp/Keycamp. Let there be games on Tuesdays, please...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Australia, India and Pakistan are set to play a Tri-Series in Holland in August 2004.

Having already confirmed the three sides would play a tournament in Europe before September's ICC Champions Trophy (to be held in England), an India Times report claimed that a PCB spokesman stated that Amstelveen's VRA Ground will host the tournament, subject to ICC inspection.

"The ICC inspection committee, in consultation with senior representatives of the Pakistan, Indian and Australian Boards, will clear the venue for the tournament."

"The VRA Ground has already hosted a one-day international, when South Africa and Kenya played there in the 1999 World Cup."

This happens to be the same time that I'm working in Northern Europe with Eurocamp/Keycamp. Let there be games on Tuesdays, please...
Any chance of games coming here? We qualify for Northern Europe ;)

Nah, seriously, if they can get some publicity around the sport it'll be great. The teams won't get the same atmosphere around the match, but this is just the thing we need more of IMO.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Another India Australia tri-series? Is it just me or does that seem a bit repetitive? It will however create what will hopefully be a great tournament and at least the crowds would be under control in the Palistan v India matches, could only imagine what it would be like if the tournament was to be played in Karachi or Calcutta!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Token said:
Another India Australia tri-series? Is it just me or does that seem a bit repetitive? It will however create what will hopefully be a great tournament and at least the crowds would be under control in the Palistan v India matches, could only imagine what it would be like if the tournament was to be played in Karachi or Calcutta!
true they have played a lot over the past year, although it will be an extremely good series anyway. especially because you find that the subcontinent teams seem to trouble the Aussis much more. (india, pakistan, sri lanka)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Token said:
By and large, Calcutta crowds have been well behaved. Yes there have been some unfortunate incidents but usually its been a small section of the crowd that's been responsible for that.

Let's not forget that both the MCG and the SCG have had problems with unruly crowds so its a little unfair to point the finger squarely at Calcutta.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Sounds a pretty solid idea.

But that would be one heck of a tournament with 3 of the best 4 ODI sides in the world & it would potentially draw huge crowds if held in any cricket-following nation.

Would they really want to waste such a drawcard event by staging it in Holland where crowds will be modest at best.

On the other hand seeing some of the better sides in action will help raise the games profile in the northen European nations.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm all for exposure for the game in Holland. But is this tournament really nessacary?

I hope players say no to a needless tournament and pull out.

Sounds of over kill.

cbuts

International Debutant
how is that tournament any more unnessacary than any other tournament. they are proffesional circketers so, so long as their is money to be made they should be playing.

Craig

World Traveller
But what is the point in it?

Maybe you should do some research. In that time they play against Sri Lanka at home, this tournament, the ICC Throphey, a tour to India and then a series against the WI at home.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
jamesryfler said:
By and large, Calcutta crowds have been well behaved. Yes there have been some unfortunate incidents but usually its been a small section of the crowd that's been responsible for that.

Let's not forget that both the MCG and the SCG have had problems with unruly crowds so its a little unfair to point the finger squarely at Calcutta.
Apologies as the cities mentioned were the first off the top of my head, no disrespect towards any Karachi or Calcuttians at all!:saint:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:

Maybe you should do some research. In that time they play against Sri Lanka at home, this tournament, the ICC Throphey, a tour to India and then a series against the WI at home.
I just don't understand the lack of understanding of the fact there is too much cricket.
The three teams would do best to avoid such an event.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:

Feb 2004 - Sri Lanka (A) - 3 Tests & 5 ODIs
May 2004 - Zimbabwe (A) - 2 & 5 - May be cancelled
Jun 2004 - Sri Lanka (H) - 2 & 0

The Champions Trophy is after the proposed Dutch Tri Series - 2/3 months after.

The tour of India is after the Champions Trophy

The home series vs the WI is after the tour of India.

Very little difference to a standard year..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You said this tri-series was in August 2004.
The ICC CT is in September the same year.
One month's break at the most. And basically straight into it from the home Sri Lanka Tests.
At least there'll be some sort of break between that and the away Sri Lanka tour.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
You said this tri-series was in August 2004.
The ICC CT is in September the same year.
One month's break at the most. And basically straight into it from the home Sri Lanka Tests.
At least there'll be some sort of break between that and the away Sri Lanka tour.
The point of this tournament is to warm the teams up to the pitches of Europe, I believe.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That too :P

OK - fair point - but there will still be six weeks at the front after Sri Lanka - which is a short tour.

And if it's that much of an issue, why's Ricky Ponting signed for Somerset?

Craig

World Traveller
To get some extra cash and to say he has played CC.

Anyway what rubbish about getting used to pitches in Europe, surely pitches would be different to the ones in England in the Netherlands?

V Reddy

International Debutant
I heard Dalmiya saying that they holding it to acclimatise to the conditions in time for the Champions Trophy.Has the dates been finalised yet? India is also playing Eng on Sep 1,3,5. I guess it will be just before that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If The ICC Champions Trophy truly is now an event which needs a whole full-scale ODI tournament as a warm-up, it says three things:
One, it's arguably now too much of a major event, possibly so as to take the gloss off The World Cup. However, for those who want a biennial World Cup (like me) that's good.
Two, it shouldn't be confined to such a small scale (3 grounds and 15 matches) and it certainly shouldn't be being played in the English autumn, 4 days after county cricket has ever been played!
Three, as has been said, warm-ups would be best not played in a totally different country. Arial conditions might be similar, but I can tell you beyond a question that pitch development outside The UK is to say the least somewhat inferior as far as the rest of Europe is concerned.