• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A cricket six-hit off?

Craig

World Traveller
I would just like say before the ICC Champs Throphey or a World Cup where all the games big hitters get together to see who can hit the biggest sixes.

They have that baseball.

So the big hitters would be: Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting, Matt Hayden, Sean Ervine, Andy Blignaut, Lance Klusener, Andy Flintoff, Andy Symonds, Ricardo Powell, Dwayne Smith, Craig McMillan, Chris Cairns, Andre Adams, John davison wuld be there.

A good idea?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'd have Yuvraj Singh and Virender Sehwag in there.
Some of the sixes Sehwag has hit this summer have been massive.

Possibly even Sourav Ganguly -- one of the sixes he hit at the MCG in 2000 was one the biggest ever seen at the ground.

Razzaq and Jayasuriya also.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I also noticed you left out Athers. :O

There would seriously be no point having Shahid Afridi in, he would miss it all the time!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Afridi has hit the biggest hit I've ever seen - that famous one that landed within the roof outside Grace Road.
However I don't really think there should be any award for hitting big - a six is a six is a six. Half a yard over the boundary is no different to fifty (not that I'd expect anyone to clear any boundary by 50 yards).

cbuts

International Debutant
oram would be there, bigger hitter than macca and adams in nz. wat about styris he wacks em

krkode

State Captain
Tendulkar and Ganguly can hit the ball a long way when things go their way. Just like all the other batsmen.

Don't forget AA. He could make the ball disappear! :wow:

They should probably make this a secret competition of which nobody knows anything. At the end of the tourno, they give the biggest hitter the award. He won't even know he got it until the very last moment. This secrecy would prevent batsmen from doing stupid things, because Cricket, unlike Baseball, isn't all about hitting the ball as hard, far, and high as you can.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Armadillo said:
hey shahid is a classy batsman when he gets going
Hey!:!( You can call Afridi a lot of things, but you can never, ever call him classy.:P yeah

PY

International Coach
Richard said:
(not that I'd expect anyone to clear any boundary by 50 yards).
I'm not sure about that to be honest. Some might have made it if not obstructed by buildings. Like Tresco's six landed just short of the balcony at The Oval.

Didn't Beefy hit the commentary box window in or around '81? Or was that someone else?

Difficult to say who hits it the furthest purely because on their day all of the aforementioned players could hit the ball miles. All depends how they time it....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
From Wisden:

"The Reverend W Fellows, while at practice on the Christ Church ground at Oxford in 1856, drove a ball bowled by Charles Rogers 175 yards from hit to pitch."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
I'm not sure about that to be honest. Some might have made it if not obstructed by buildings. Like Tresco's six landed just short of the balcony at The Oval.

Didn't Beefy hit the commentary box window in or around '81? Or was that someone else?

Difficult to say who hits it the furthest purely because on their day all of the aforementioned players could hit the ball miles. All depends how they time it....
Chris Cairns almost hit the commentary box at The Oval in 1999.
Beefy launched one into what Richie Benaud called "the confectionary stall" (it was actually a little sweetshop around the edge of the ground).
Neil Johnson hit the ball into the gents' toilet in WC99, but that was at Taunton, and I could hit the ball out of that excuse for a ground.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brett Lee has hit the bigest six I have ever seen. It went an absolute mile smashed some car window in a near by parking lot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any estimate of the distance?
The Afridi one was something like 200 yards, I wonder how big the Lee one was.
Afridi certainly has a heavier bat, and a big swing. I've seen Lee make some big hits but I can't imagine he could make one as big as the Astle ones at Christchurch.