Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Channel 9 finally bow to benchmark00 pressure

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    small earthquake just after the ball passed the bat imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Just use the pitch map to check for balls pitched outside leg stump and very clear visible deflections that can be seen by the naked eye. DRS should be used only to prevent obvious howlers, not marginal calls.
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

I don't understand people's obsession over doubting the "validity" of the predictive path, especially over questions of height. It's simple physics ffs, you could give it to a high school student as a problem and they'd get the right answer, assuming that you've got the point of impact and the ball's velocity about right.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    What? The mark wasn't an edge noise, it was beyond the bat when the noise was made. So what are you saying? It was just a **** decision.

Good try though, obv still reeling from false positivegate last match.
    I read the other day the umpires had been briefed on real time snicko to expect the noises to show up slightly after the ball passes the edge. I dunnot if that's right or not and really don't give a ****. What it tells you though is benchmark00 Limited should have invested in delayed noise graphics, which are now going gang busters.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I don't understand people's obsession over doubting the "validity" of the predictive path, especially over questions of height. It's simple physics ffs, you could give it to a high school student as a problem and they'd get the right answer, assuming that you've got the point of impact and the ball's velocity about right.
    i posted this in the match thread after the fact, but there was one that i think watson left, and it missed the off stump by a bees dick. the hawkeye of that delivery had the ball missing off stump by a couple of centimetres, and that wasn't even a prediction, it should have been purely ball tracking. would love to see/show a reverse angle of the actual vs the hawkeye.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    How does that take into consideration potential dip and swing though?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Magnus effect incalculable IMHO

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    It is not that simple. You have to account for lateral movement in the air and movement off the pitch. Those become tricky because the prediction change depending on when the ball hit the pad after pitching.

I'm pretty sure the laws of the game mean the umpires should assume that the ball goes "straight on" after impact ie. no unusual swing or dip.

I'm pretty sure the laws of the game mean the umpires should assume that the ball goes "straight on" after impact ie. no unusual swing or dip.
    That's for balls which impact on the full
    hendrix likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Pretty sure it's just that the umpires don't assume the ball is going to do anything it hasn't done yet, ie. if you get hit on the toe by what looks like a ripping legbreak, the umpire assumes it won't spin even though it probably would've.

Don't think that's what benchmark was really asking TBF, more just how does the system take into account something unexpected, say some late swing right before impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Don't think that's what benchmark was really asking TBF, more just how does the system take into account something unexpected, say some late swing right before impact.
    Yeah that's how I interpreted it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Would imagine that the predicted path is based on the rate of change of position of the ball at the point closest to impact, not just a simple method of taking the release, bounce and impact positions and extrapolating it by treating the ball as a projectile. So your Hawkeye cameras (there's about 10 setup around a ground IIRC) record the delivery, and for each camera frame (I think they're 500 fps cameras) the system plots the position of the ball in relation to a fixed point (say the stumps) by comparing the measurements from the different cameras. This gives you an x, y, z position for the ball at each frame, you then have an algorithm that works out the change in x, y, z from frame to frame (and probably also the change in the rate of change) and extrapolates that from the frame you have closest to the point of impact. That way, you're taking any late movement into account.

I remember giving this quite a lot of thought a few months ago, actually applied for a job with Hawkeye. Got nowhere though, useless ****s didn't even respond to my application.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information