• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Standout Performance of 2003?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No significant difference as far as I'm concerned. Neither are quite as bad as Upashantha, but both aren't a million miles behind.

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Linda said:
I thought Bichels 7for20-something was pretty darn good too:D
And 30-odd not out with the bat, in a rescue mission with Bevan, to get us across the line in the end.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Adamc said:
This is different from the 'Standout Player of 2003' poll. I'm interested to know what others see as the best individual performance in a single game for tests and odi's in 2003. There have been alot of good performances so I won't bother with a poll.
From my limited viewing my picks would be:
Test Batting: Close one... Dravid's 233 & 72* vs Aus, Hayden's 380 vs Zim and Lara's 202 vs SA
Test Bowling: Ntini's 10/220 vs Eng (probably Murali vs Eng as well but didn't see any of it)

ODI Batting: Ponting's 140* vs Ind and Tendulkar's 97 vs Pak
ODI Bowling: Bond's 6/23 vs Aus and Bichel's 7/20 vs Eng
Dravid and Haydn for sure. Never saw Lara, so can't comment.

But Ntini at Lords? 10 for 220 (two hundred and twenty!!!). The wickets that weren't tail enders were handed to him on a plate at long leg and deep square leg. Perhaps the crappiest batting performace of the year ... although I'm sure England in Sri Lanka comes close ... bowlers who GET wickets deserve credit, not bowlers who have them handed to them. So what if he was the first black South African to get 10 at Lords ... the way Mark "loves himself" Nicholas was going on about it, you'd think he overthrew aparthaid all by himself.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: Standout Performance of 2003?

JohnnyA said:
Dravid and Haydn for sure. Never saw Lara, so can't comment.

But Ntini at Lords? 10 for 220 (two hundred and twenty!!!). The wickets that weren't tail enders were handed to him on a plate at long leg and deep square leg. Perhaps the crappiest batting performace of the year ... although I'm sure England in Sri Lanka comes close ... bowlers who GET wickets deserve credit, not bowlers who have them handed to them. So what if he was the first black South African to get 10 at Lords ... the way Mark "loves himself" Nicholas was going on about it, you'd think he overthrew aparthaid all by himself.
Point taken, but I really struggle to recall many good test bowling efforts in a year which has been dominated by batsmen. In light of recent matches, I would now say that Shoaib's bowling vs NZ (5/48 and 6/30) was the best I have seen all year. Being in Australia and watching predominately Australian matches I can't say any performance stands out - MacGill's wickets were virtually all against weak teams and no other Aus. bowler has had a particularly brilliant year.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Actually he was the first South African full stop - colour was not an issue. I was at the ground and seem to recall Andrew Flintoff doing some damage to those figures! :D

For me the performances of the year, Australia in ODIs full stop, and in tests, West Indies chasing 420 or whatever get the team performances.

Individually I guess Hayden stands out for what it was and Ponting in the World Cup Final?

With the ball, I would say Bichel vs England and I enjoyed James Anderson! Also Shoaib Akhtar in any game against New Zealand! :P