Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Worst Commentators/Pundits XI

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    I sometimes forget quite how awful Colville can be, what is the point of him anyway?
    No idea, at least he only gets to present the highlight shows now and isn't the main anchor (he is a word that sounds like it though) and on comms.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Glenn McGrath up there as well. Probably running the drinks.

Bloke sounds like he's about to cry every time he talks/regales us with stories of the julios vs nerds.
    @CricketAus: .@MitchJohnson398 has the support of @glennmcgrath11 for an #Ashes recall this summer: McGrath backs Johnson for Ashes recall
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Waqar "Axcellent" Younis

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Richie Benaud and Bill Lawry.. Lawry has always been an awfully biased commentator but Richie in recent years has been worse than even Gavaskar.. Combine Gavaskar's bias with a Holier Than Thou , I-know-it-all-coz-I-was-a-great-commentator-once attitude.. Result is that horrible version of Richie we are put through in recent times..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

whatever ********
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Bad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Richie Benaud and Bill Lawry.. Lawry has always been an awfully biased commentator but Richie in recent years has been worse than even Gavaskar.. Combine Gavaskar's bias with a Holier Than Thou , I-know-it-all-coz-I-was-a-great-commentator-once attitude.. Result is that horrible version of Richie we are put through in recent times..
    Bill Lawry is biased? Who do you think is objective then? Go through robelinda's channel, there are tons of examples where Lawry defends or takes the side opposing Australia. Think back to the Cronje-Junior incident...or even when Sehwag was initially embarrassing himself at the MCG in '04, or how about his excitement for Monty bowling Langer. If anything, he can be biased against Australia tbh. Lawry has gone a little senile but he's still exciting, fair, and relatively humble about his knowledge of the game.

On Richie Benaud, I thought it best to keep my views on him silent but I'm gonna go for it... he really hasn't been a good commentator for a while now. For someone who touts himself as an authority on legspin, he does a horrible job of explaining the mechanics of legspin. Not saying he wasn't a good legspinner, but you don't have to know how a skill actually works to necessarily be good at it. He clearly didn't know what a slider was or at least how it worked, yet quite authoritatively "...And that's the slider". He thought Warne's sliders go straight on because they had backspin on them...which makes me think he doesn't know what backspin actually is or he didn't really see what the slider was. There are videos of him explaining that the flipper should rotate like a helicopter propeller would, rather than have backspin (as Grimmett defined it). And he clearly does not keep up with the game and follow it closely. Just last year he was talking, during the beginning of the SA tour of Australia about how he thought Tahir was a good bowler...At some point the legspin fetish has to stop; Tahir had consistently proven he cannot find the right length for 4 straight deliveries, leave aside six. Either Richie no longer watches cricket seriously or his judgment of players has gone down the drain. You can chalk this up to isolated flubs, but at some point, it's obvious he's liked because of past reputation.
    Last edited by JontyPanesar; 19-09-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information