• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

cnerd123

likes this
How would they court someone who has no eligibility to play for them?

Why is race or skin colour even relevant?
Yea, the only examples I can think of in Cricket where players who grow up in one country and end up turning out for another are all cases of either the second country being an Associate nation (like Ireland), or the player in question having dual-nationality (Sam Robson for example, or Brendan Nash). The former case is a lot more similar to football, where being able to show heritage to a nation or living there for a certain amount of time is enough to qualify you for them.

Weird point to suggest that Asian countries go about recruiting cricketers from non-Asian countries on the basis of race...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shreyas Iyer Quotes | Cricket Quotes | ESPN Cricinfo

QUOTE UNQUOTE

Before the IPL, the girls who I used to message didn't care to reply. After the IPL, the same girls started messaging me every day. After that I stopped talking to them.

Shreyas Iyer the 20-year-old Mumbai batsman, is introduced to the realities of becoming a well-known sportsperson.

You see all these cricketers playing like stars so young in their career and then when you see them give such quotes in interviews, you realize they are just normal 20 year olds who just happen to be super good in a certain sport. That cynical reply, so becoming of any nerd who suddenly got famous and discovered that girls can, indeed, text you back. Lol.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea, the only examples I can think of in Cricket where players who grow up in one country and end up turning out for another are all cases of either the second country being an Associate nation (like Ireland), or the player in question having dual-nationality (Sam Robson for example, or Brendan Nash). The former case is a lot more similar to football, where being able to show heritage to a nation or living there for a certain amount of time is enough to qualify you for them.

Weird point to suggest that Asian countries go about recruiting cricketers from non-Asian countries on the basis of race...
Ha you seriously saying those are the only instances you can think of?

Also I don't know what you are reading, but nowhere did I suggest anything of the sort regarding Asian countries.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
...do you, like, not even read your own posts or something?

Eh whatevs, cbf.
I'm telling you that's not what I said. Its either you ask for clarification & I'll simply clarify or as you said whatever & move on from discussion point.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I wonder how much lack of practice games play a part in impacting the test series which follows. 1-2 first class games of 2-3 days don't seem enough. Tests are a different ball game to ODIs where one has to adopt to spin and bounce of bowlers and batsmen of considerable ability. In the recent years, teams have been winning a lot more at home compared to before despite the game having become more global in a sense as players keep playing in various T20 leagues. Recent Trans-Tasman test makes me wonder.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Put this here ... well because I did not know where else to put it and did not want to start a thread. And I also thought it may be of interest considering some of the comments made in Aus/NZ thread.

Security and hotel confinement - SuperSport - Cricket

Its a sad day that so much can change in a couple of months, and Bangladesh cricket was really starting to look good.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Jarrod Kimber, being well Jarrod Kimber. Reading Kimber enhances the beauty of this sport ten fold.

If you are good, even really good, and from inside the big three nations, there will be a lot of noise. One good innings can start it. Virat Kohli did it with the IPL. David Warner did it with a series of slogs in a T20 against Dale Steyn. Joe Root with his first Test innings. Usman Khawaja did it with a 37.

Outside cricket's biggest markets, things move slower. Mitchell Johnson admitted that he hadn't seen much of Kane Williamson. Shiv Chanderpaul's career involved endless innings in empty stadia. Younis Khan seems to almost only exist on TV.

This is historical as well. So much rich and interesting cricket history just hasn't been documented because it didn't interest England writers or publications at the time. Early South African Test history is spotty at best. With weak touring English teams pitted against what were often horrible South African teams, on matting pitches, it just didn't grab the attention. It really wasn't until the 1960s that the cricket world started noticing them.

Aubrey Faulkner, Bruce Mitchell, Hugh Tayfield, Neil Adcock, Dave and Dudley Nourse and Herbie Taylor aren't names that get mentioned when the greats of the game are mentioned. Yet all were absolute greats of the game, almost invisible in the era before South African cricket grabbed the world, before disappearing with a lot of what-ifs.

Things are no different now. The current Test era of South Africa, where they haven't lost an overseas Test series since 2006, hasn't been covered like it would have been in another nation. The South African team, by large an incredibly normal bunch, have just gone about their business. Over a long period they are now the greatest team South Africa have ever had, but you wouldn't really know that. Their press doesn't seem to do much hyperbole. The team just plays, well.

Perhaps the fact that they can't break their ICC tournament hoodoo. Perhaps because they have lost to Australia at home. Perhaps because they have drawn so many series. They haven't grabbed people's attention like they should have. As far as Test match eras go, it could well be in the top five ever.

And in many ways, AB is the face of the modern team. Professional. Talented. Adaptable. Focused. Humble. He isn't taking photos in jacuzzis with random women. He isn't selling his image rights for record amounts. He isn't making huge, arrogant statements. He bats. He keeps. He's polite.

You could imagine some American tourist sitting next to him in business class, and when asked what he does for a living, AB answering with: "I work in sports."

Jarrod Kimber: AB de Villiers, the beast from Pretoria | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
It rings a little hollow to compare him to Younis or Williamson in terms of fame. His IPL and ODI stuff has made him one of the most celebrated cricketers in India

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I just shared that article on FB with this line:

"Words can never do justice to this man's ability, but Jarrod Kimber comes close... :) "

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In Mumbai for a few more days. Have tried to watch the test but find it quite weird. It's great to watch it. However, I would rather go out and enjoy the city. Deciding to watch a Ranji game at Wankhede today post lunch instead of the test. Too much conflict some how. Find it funny.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It rings a little hollow to compare him to Younis or Williamson in terms of fame. His IPL and ODI stuff has made him one of the most celebrated cricketers in India
True but you know even with AB, you still hear comments like 'oh what has he done other than that one hundred in Perth' or Channel 9 commentators making remarks like "oh AB..he's a bit like Maxwell".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But Channel 9 commentators are the biggest idiots going around in the cricket world. They wont know anything that happens outside of their summer, and even if they do, seems like they just pretend as if they dont.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
But Channel 9 commentators are the biggest idiots going around in the cricket world. They wont know anything that happens outside of their summer, and even if they do, seems like they just pretend as if they dont.
But AB has hundreds in Australia during their summer. They can't even remember?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah... that is a different commandment. "Thou shalt not accept an overseas player to be better than yours on air on Channel 9". So AB is like Maxwell, Steyn is like Johnson etc. etc.

Midwinter

State Captain
It is C9 policy, not the commentators.

It directed at people who dont know anything about cricket and at the level of 10 year boys.

If you ever get the chance to hear them away from C9 they are good to listen to, even Ian Healy

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, I think Healy is garbage except when he talks about wicket keeping technique but I do agree with you. Slater, as an example,before he became a C9 cheer leader, was absolutely terrific to listen to.