• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

cnerd123

likes this
https://www.livemint.com/Sports/f0a...cket-league-bats-for-global-sports-crown.html

The IPL final alone attracted 173 million viewers, 43% more year-on-year - or about 56 million so-called impressions on a time-weighted basis, growing at a similar pace. In contrast, the US National Football League’s flagship game, the Super Bowl, attracted 103 million average viewers in February this year, 7% fewer than in 2017 and the lowest viewership since 2009, as calculated by Nielsen. Television ownership in India is still growing even as its tech-savvy youth discover new online ways to watch content.

The cost of TV rights is also extraordinary for a relatively young sports franchise in a poor country. A perfect comparison is hard to find, but Star paid $2.4 billion for the broadcast and digital rights to the IPL through to 2022, equivalent to about $8 million per match. For the UK rights to show English soccer’s Premier League until 2022, British broadcaster Sky—also partially owned by Murdoch—paid a sum equivalent to a bit over $12 million per match. Factoring in digital and international rights would bump that figure higher.

Salaries are also creeping towards those of the world’s top sporting leagues. The season’s most expensive player, Indian national team captain Virat Kohli, was paid $2.5 million by the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) for his IPL stint. English all-rounder Ben Stokes picked up almost $2 million from the Rajasthan Royals. Over a similar seven-week period, German footballer Mesut Ozil would have earned something over $3 million playing for Arsenal in the Premier League based on a salary figure reported by the Guardian. IPL founder Lalit Modi thinks players could earn up to $2 million for each match if team salary caps are removed.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:( I was hoping the level of interest would kind of plateau out over time.

Which it probably still will TBF, the plateau level will just be a lot higher than we'd all like it to be.

srbhkshk

International Captain
:( I was hoping the level of interest would kind of plateau out over time.

Which it probably still will TBF, the plateau level will just be a lot higher than we'd all like it to be.
I almost felt it was plateauing out some time ago - possibly 14-15ish? But it's really on a growth curve now, team based loyalties are starting to form among people, it's weird.

trundler

Barnes bowling

Bedser bowling

If they're saying he's a trundling medium pacer, I'm fine with that.
He is but not of the same quality I'd say. Barnes and Bedser are competing for the 'medium pacer against the wind' spot in an England all-time XI whilst Anderson is not even in the picture. You could have both and that works too, although Barnes/Bedser-Trueman-Larwood-Verity/Underwood/Laker sounds better to me.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing is they're completely different styles of bowler. I do doubt that the author of the article has actually seen Barnes or Bedser bowl.

Bedser and Anderson do have a very broad home/away split in common.

trundler

I thought it was just because they're trundlers. Barnes is vastly different to every bowler ever, except maybe O'Reilly whilst Bedser was full on medium pace, rather than fast-medium. Different styles there too.