• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2015 Ashes - English and Australian XIs

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Wouldn't rule out a Doherty comeback based on some random ODI form tbh

Please.......and Khawaja........

For England:

A.Cook: Still in his prime - could be a very long prime.
A.Lees: Started very well in the County game and shown he likes to 'go big'. I had dealings with some people high up in Yorkshire Age Group cricket recently. They are even more certain about this chap that they were with Root - and they reckon it may be quite soon that he moves up.
J.Trott: Should still be there - may be his last hurrah.
J.Root: I have no doubt he'll be a successful opener but he can also bat in the middle. He'll end up at 3 after Trott.
I.Bell: By then even the biggest CW hater won't argue.
B.Stokes: I think his allround game would benefit from playing for a County with better batting pitches. A great talent, his issues last winter might just have caused him to focus better.
M.Prior: Could also be his last series.
S.Broad: Place set in cement.
G.Swann: Any arm or shoulder issues will be jumped on quickly - they'll make sure he's fit for the big series.
S.Finn: WIll have worked out what type of pace bowler he should be (I think he'll do that soon) and be a very, very good bowler.
J.Anderson:
I know he'll be the same age as Ryan Harris was in this series but I'm concerned he may not make it that long due to a loss of form or injury. I really hope he continues and takes his 400th wicket in this series but I'm not convinced he'll make it. Can Jimmy play until he's 36 like McGrath?
Harris is a 'heavy' bowler with the long and consistent injury history. Anderson is naturally much more athletic and has excellent strength and conditioning advice. Two very different beasts. I'd be surprised if Anderson isn't in prime form then, and for a while afterwards.

I suspect KP will be gone. Often a sportsman getting injuries in various parts of his body in his early 30s is a sign that the end is nigh.

For Australia:

I really wouldn't be shocked if Clarke retires after the next series - especially if it's a heavy defeat (3-0) or worse) which is quite possible. A bad back and the vitriol he's likely to suffer in that situation could easily persuade him to give them the finger.

Surely they must have given up all hope for Watson by then - England have cleverly ensured he will start (at least) this coming series but that won't last.

Last edited:

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Jonny Bairstow is keeping wicket for England in Test Match Cricket in the next two years I will eat my laptop.

He keeps once every two months, like that opening bowler we've all got who thinks he can keeps and does it once every few months for the Sunday side just to shut him up.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Christ there's a Cooky Monster and a Captain Cook?

You could say too many Cooks spoil the broth. Amirite?

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm sure he will be considering we only have Sri Lanka & India at home next year, then West Indies away and New Zealand at home in test cricket before we next entertain Australia.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It's really difficult to speculate even two years down the line but I'll have a go.

Cook (c)
Root
Trott
Bell
Taylor
Bairstow
Prior (wk)
Broad
Swann
Finn
Anderson

I can't see England needing to make many changes in all honesty. Unless there's an unexpected injury somewhere I don't expect any of the bowlers to retire or lose form substantially enough to be dropped. Swann I hope goes on as long as possible but KP will probably be retired by then, and I reckon Taylor will have nailed down a Chanderpaul-like role at 5 despite looking ordinary. Bairstow will probably get another shot about now but that is entirely guesswork, it could easily be Ballance or an all-rounder. Australia is a different beast.

Hughes
Warner
Bailey
Clarke (c)
Smith
Henriques
Wade (wk)
Starc
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon

I'm taking a right punt with quite a few of these, but that's all you can really do when taking into account the lack of proven youngsters and the Australian selection merry-go-round. Watson, Rogers and Haddin will be gone IMO. Siddle I'm not sure, maybe an injury/loss of form/selection incompetence ruling him out. Counting on Bailey being given a shot at some point, and taking it much as he has in ODIs, as well as the selector's love affair with all-rounders giving Henriques a go at this exact point in time, and Cummins actually being fit with a solid season of SS behind him. Wade due to lack of other option/improvement in wicketkeeping. But my word this is complete guesswork and I wish I hadn't spent so much time thinking about it.

Gob

International Coach
Aus

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hazlewood
Lyon

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
5 players in my England side that won't play 1st test, and probably 6 in my Australia side that won't.

What a godawful effort. Quite a few factors that were kind of unexpected though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think being a bit more serious England will have a similar team to the one they have now. I've decided to get rid of Trott and Prior..

England
1 A Cook
2 J Root
3 I Bell
4 K Pietersen
5 G Ballance
6 B Stokes
7 J Bairstow
8 C Woakes
9 S Broad
10 G Swann
11 J Anderson

Australia
1 C Rogers
2 D Warner
3 S Watson
4 M Clarke
5 S Smith
6 N Maddinson
7 T Paine
8 M Starc
9 P Siddle
10 J Pattinson
11 N Lyon

12 J Hazlewood
13 P Hughes
14 N Maddinson
15 C Sayers
16 P Nevill

I think Rogers has the potential to last that long - it could very well be his last series. I ended up not including Harris or Haddin which would be a blow to the team. Happy with the bowling replacements but not so much the keeper - Ludeman, Wade, Nevill, Triffitt etc have a big chance if they perform domestically.
Really good effort with the England side there. Barstow selection and not calling Swann's retirement the only real mistakes. Pietersen sacking seemed pretty unlikely a couple of years ago, and Woakes could've been in line had he not got injured.

Gob

International Coach
5 players in my England side that won't play 1st test, and probably 6 in my Australia side that won't.

What a godawful effort. Quite a few factors that were kind of unexpected though.
did you expect smitteh to bat at 3 while being the worlds best batsman?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought the OP was bad, then I saw at least three people thought Maddinson would be playing Test cricket.

Makes me want to puke.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really good effort with the England side there. Barstow selection and not calling Swann's retirement the only real mistakes. Pietersen sacking seemed pretty unlikely a couple of years ago, and Woakes could've been in line had he not got injured.
Yeah cheers. Retirements are always so tricky to call, lucked out on Trott and I think Prior was struggling which is why I didn't pick.

I thought the OP was bad, then I saw at least three people thought Maddinson would be playing Test cricket.

Makes me want to puke.
I don't think it was that unimaginable that a young NSW left hand bat like Maddinson would be playing for Australia - I mean Shaun Marsh is in the position that some of us thought Maddo would be in right now.