Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Geoff Armstrong- The 100 Greatest Cricketers

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, we owe all the leg spinners currently in their countries' best Test elevens right now to Shane Warne making it cool again when they were all kids 15 years ago.

Without him, we probably wouldn't have the genius on show of .. umm.. err.. Jeevan Mendis and Imran Tahir.

Hmm.
    So it's his fault there aren't any spinners as good as him?
    ★★★★★

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    So what was "new" thing that Shane Warne brought to the cricketing world other than masking agents?

And not to see Saqlain Mushtaq who brought something new to the game . . .

Blatently pro-English I'd say.
    And kyear is biased toward West Indian players (for example). This is hardly earth-shattering news as we all come with cultural baggage, and no one is exempt.

In other words, it's perfectly healthy and normal to gravitate toward the players and personalites that we grew up with, and were exposed to.

Pro-English, pro-West Indian, pro Pakistani etc - so what?
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Some revival of leg spin or something, most people reckon.
    Revival of what? excuse me? Qadir played his last match in 1993, Kumble played his first in 1991. They were good enough legspinners. The fact is that even if Warne wasn't there, sub continent would never has run out of leggies. Qadir, Somachandra de Silva, Narendra Hiwani, Mushtaq Ahmed, Anil Kumble, Danish Kaneria all were quality performers. Art was not lost to be revived, at least in SC.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Blatantly anti-Warne post, this.
    Warne has stats comparable to Murali and was far more exciting to watch than any other spinner. Theres no denying how unique and special he was in terms of entertainment.
    It was always great fun to watch him work out a plan for every batsman and more often than not, he executed it perfectly.
    In my own point of view I would agree with you. But in writers point of view he's baltently pracvtising double standards. Warne brought nothing new to cricket, and is in 1st XI. Saqlain put off spinners in cricket map, but not even in the 10th. And writer says he's looking for players who have given something new to the game. Have your own judgemnt it I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    So it's his fault there aren't any spinners as good as him?
    Not at all, but to give him credit for reviving leg spin when leg spin didn't revive during his career is absurd.

He was just a ****ing good bowler.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Not at all, but to give him credit for reviving leg spin when leg spin didn't revive during his career is absurd.

Exact thoughts.

State Vice-Captain
    That was just what I'd read and heard in a few places.

Banned
    Everyone always brings up him averaging 50+ for his last 10 years. He only scored 5 centuries, and 6 overall. His batting is very overrated. The only allrounders with worse batting are Hadlee and Kapil. He was an excellent bowler, but a very, very average batsman.

may b ur opinion

kapil > imran as a batsman IMO

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    IWarne brought nothing new to cricket,
    I can see your point. And I agree with PEWs. His legacy is that he mastered what is the hardest skill in cricket almost completely.

People do say Warne "revived" leg spin, or spin, a lot. In reality, he appeared as the WIs pace batteries declined in power, so sloppy journalism says that he "revived" an art.

Banned
    at a worse case scenario PROCTER wd hv been another BOTHAM / KAPIL , still as good as another ponting or lara (=barry)
    Last edited by sobers no:1; 25-02-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Banned
    if warne gets credits for reviving something , akram did more . even challenged the rules of physics.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    That was just what I'd read and heard in a few places.
    I think it was Australian and English journalists and the lack of quality leg spinners in Ashes series. He inspired a new generation of leg spinners in OZ, just as Lillee did for pace bowlers. None of my mates even thought about bowling spin when Lillee was the best bowler in the world.

I had almost forgot how to play a wrong un and then along came Warne and all these young leg spinners were causing me trouble
    You know it makes sense.

The point you just made had nada to do with the previous post.

Moreover, when people laud Warne for reviving spin it doesn't mean there were no spinners around or some nonsense like that so the reply by you/Migara is a straw man.

You can only revive a dead or a dying art. When Warne came in 1992, Qadir, Mushtaq, Hirwani and Kumble were bowling various flavors of that art. Leg spin was alive and there was no need to revive it.

No, you don't always revive something that is necessarily dead or extinct. Moreover, none of those spinners can hold Warne's jock-strap.

The point of the compliment to Warne is that the world had become very pace-orientated. The Windies with their all pace attacks became the standard and almost every team in the world had an ATG pacer in the era directly prior. Spin was no longer on the same pedestal. It took someone like Warne to really put it back on par or for teams to think that they must have a spinner for the sake of balance.

Every time you bring this stupid retort this has to be explained to you. You might not agree with the sentiment, but don't act like people pulled it from their arse.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread Information