• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in Australia 2012/13

uvelocity

International Coach
Why would the effort to bowl a slower ball be any different to bowling a regulation delivery?
well i'm not an international standard bowler. having said that when bowling slower its important to still be accurate, whether bowling out the back of the hand or off or leg spinning type it's harder to land it. you can sacrifice a bit of effort to compensate for the change in wrist to keep it accurate.

still needs to appear to be a regulation delivery but you knew that

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, the whole point of a slower ball is to make the batsman think its a normal speed delivery. The more effort you take off the less effective the ball is going to be. You practice your accuracy in the nets like you would with any type of delivery, and build up so it is the same effort just a different release type.

Ruckus

International Captain
No, the whole point of a slower ball is to make the batsman think its a normal speed delivery. The more effort you take off the less effective the ball is going to be. You practice your accuracy in the nets like you would with any type of delivery, and build up so it is the same effort just a different release type.
I'm sure that's what an ideal slower ball is meant to be in theory, but does it actually turn out exactly that way in practice? Maybe it's an illusion or something, but to me it looks like the actual speed of rotation is slightly slower than a regular delivery, in addition to back of the hand release.

benchmark00

Try rotating your arm and bowling a normal delivery. Then try and rotate it like you're trying to bowl a back of the hand slower ball.

Tell me which one requires more effort.

That's just talking about the back of the hand. There are a number of other more conventional type of slower balls.

uvelocity

International Coach
Try rotating your arm and bowling a normal delivery. Then try and rotate it like you're trying to bowl a back of the hand slower ball.

Tell me which one requires more effort.

That's just talking about the back of the hand. There are a number of other more conventional type of slower balls.
gonna give you the back of my hand boi

its about appearing to be a normal effort delivery, it doesnt actually have to be. and yes bowling out of the back of the hand is tricky and hence wise to ease up a bit.

my standard slower ball is an off spinner so i just bowl pretty much normal and the spinning action slows it up, but the variance is not as much as these guys dropping 20kph - if i did that it wouldnt get to the other end probably

uvelocity

International Coach
Ffs, if you find a ball 'tricky' and you have to 'take it easy' then don't bowl it!
generally dont in matches. look you clearly are going off what you read in one of james brayshaw's blog posts, take it from someone who can bowl all of those deliveries that it's harder than it looks

Spikey

it's pretty rare for me to be gagging for MJ, but christ he's the 2nd best bowler on show here. ****ing slower balls and leg stump darts

benchmark00

I have it on good authority that the players will be heading to the planetarium after the match.