Cricket Player Manager
Page 19 of 675 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Imagine the look on their faces when we produce a proper green top next time they tour here.
    We won 1-0 here before and it would have been 2-0 had it not been for Dravid's slight negativity. Honestly, the famed Indian batting line up was the best in the world and they dealt with the bounce and fast bowling in Aus in their prime.

The last two heavy losses in England and Australia are hard to explain but I think we are getting back on track. We were no where playing our best for a variety of reasons. If so, it wouldn't have been easy.

We are rebuilding but I am sure we will once again be the best batting side.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    That's not really relevant though is it. Point is, the Indian team, fans and management clearly don't know what a green top is. And you mentioning the 2007 tour of England (I don't think I saw a blade of grass on a pitch that whole season) in response to a comment about green tops just heightens the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It wasn't a green top, it just had some grass on it.
    Gillespie said at the time it felt a completely differently pitch and they used it well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    That's not really relevant though is it. Point is, the Indian team, fans and management clearly don't know what a green top is. And you mentioning the 2007 tour of England (I don't think I saw a blade of grass on a pitch that whole season) in response to a comment about green tops just heightens the point.
    You didn't look hard enough. Zaheer bowled well in the 2nd test in 07 with good seamer support and the pitch played a role.

Also I think BCCI are intelligent enough to know how to prepare it. Question is, can they do it in time, there is the option of importing. Point is, it won't be typically flat or a turner so will still be nothing like the actual pitches.

It's good because it gives some of our seamers a chance to impress like Awana/Dinda in particular.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ViruTheBest View Post
    You can import pitches. I remember in the Nagpur test India V Aus, a green top was prepared due to a disagreement between Ganguly and the board. Ganguly pulled out citing injury but it was a green top for sure. Aus bowlers said as much. It was a low scoring game.

Weakest cricketer, Ganguly controversial injury Nagpur 2004 - YouTube

My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    @ Viru

So what? Of course it was different but it wasn't a green top. Hobart last year was a green top. Leeds in the 09 Ashes series was a green top.

Nagpur had something in it but it wasn't a green top.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    @ Viru

So what? Of course it was different but it wasn't a green top. Hobart last year was a green top. Leeds in the 09 Ashes series was a green top.

Nagpur had something in it but it wasn't a green top.
    Leeds v Pakistan for you guys was more of a green top than the ashes pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ViruTheBest View Post
    The last two heavy losses in England and Australia are hard to explain but I think we are getting back on track. We were no where playing our best for a variety of reasons. If so, it wouldn't have been easy.
    1. We batted like ****.
    2. We bowled like ****.
    3. We had some players who didn't give a ****.

Exactly.

Only hard to explain if you're still trying to argue that India are the best side in the world.

State Vice-Captain
    I'm just thinking...how does an international sportsman, an elite sportsman, playing cricket especially where conditions have such an impact on the game, feel vindicated when he's shown up abroad and then manages to make a few runs/pick up wickets in conditions that he's familiar with? People like Gambhir, now displaying such bravado...doesn't it ring hollow even to themselves when they sleep at night? Or are they completely devoid of real introspection? They've spent a good 7-8 years with the likes of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman who exemplified the will to perform and improve in all conditions, but apparently none of that seems to have rubbed off.

Well, the biggest challenge for English batsmen would be to handle spin bowling. Trott, Bell and KP(to some extent) aare good batsmen of spinners. Lets see what happens !

Can't wait for the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohli_fan View Post
    tactical genius here from the BCCI.
    LOL, do they have to make it so blatant? How about preparing more green tops for domestic games first? Anyway, I won't call this unfair but I'd rather we beat them without all this sabotage.

EDIT: Let's wait and see.

India A coach Lalchand Rajput dismisses talks of green-top wicket against England

Mumbai: Oct 28, 2012

Coach Lalchand Rajput sought to dismiss reports that a green-top was on offer for his India A team's three-day match against the touring England cricketers at the Cricket Club of India from October 30 and said it will be a typical Mumbai wicket.

"It's a good wicket. At CCI, always the first session helps the bowlers. It's one of those wickets which will have some carry in the first session. It's a typical Mumbai wicket, there will be a little bit of bounce," said Rajput after 12 out of his 14-member team had their first practice session at the Brabourne Stadium in the afternoon.

England are to play three warm-up games, the second one at the D Y Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai from November 3-5 and the third a four-day game at Ahmedabad prior to the start of the four-Test series from November 13 in the Gujarat city.

According to the CCI curator Prakash Dalvi, the track for the tourists' opening game has been under preparation for the last 10 days and 5mm grass has been kept, but even as he was talking, the ground staff was seen scrubbing the pitch.

While conceding that the absence of a frontline spinner in the team, which has been the subject of intense speculation whether it was a deliberate ploy or not, will pose some problems for other bowlers to complete the 90-over quota in a day, Rajput said the part-time slow bowlers in the team would have to chip in.

"We have got part-time spinners like Yuvraj, Raina and Tiwary to complete the 90-over quota in a day. I know over-rate will be a bit of a problem as they have to bowl 15 overs an hour.

He also saw the absence of regular spinners as another opportunity for the medium pacers in the team to have long spells, including with the old ball.

"I don't know what the selectors have in mind. I would look at it from the point of view of the medium pacers. It's a good opportunity for them. Normally, if you have two spinners, medium pacers don't take much part in the game because after the new ball, they are dead because of the turning wickets."

"It's a good opportunity to see how they bowl with the new ball, now they bowl with the old ball and how they bowl after say 50-60 overs and whether they can make use of the reverse swing as well," the former India opener and coach said.

Rajput was not clear whether the game will be a proper first-class game with none outside the eleven batting or bowling and said a call is expected to be taken tomorrow, on the eve of the match.

"We would like to look at it as a (competitive) match. But nowadays, ICC (International Cricket Council) has come out with (the concession) that 12 can bat. I don't know what MoU has been signed with the English board. We will take a call on it tomorrow," he said.

According to Board sources, it was up to the two team managements to come to an agreement on this issue. (PTI)
    Last edited by chicane; 29-10-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    You talking to IR?

Alison Mitchell seems to think straightoutta will be opening with Cook, interesting.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Alison Mitchell seems to think straightoutta will be opening with Cook, interesting.
    No great surprise I guess. Root looked pretty average in CL albeit in T20. Anyone know if the game tomorrow is being shown on TV in India?

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Don't see why India would bother preparing a green pitch for tomorrow's game anyway given they need to be picking their no.6
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Thread Information