• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Chrish

International Debutant
And his record against them is not that good. He averaged 39 in 108 games in in-island games.

Not that it matters to me personally. I still consider Viv as one of the greatest ever for several different reasons.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And his record against them is not that good. He averaged 39 in 108 games in in-island games.

Not that it matters to me personally. I still consider Viv as one of the greatest ever for several different reasons.
Any where I can go to get those stats?

Tnaks

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricketarchive.

Unfortunately it’s no longer free. I am sure someone over here has access to it. They can provide you detailed stats.

Or you can just buy the membership for a month. It’s not that expensive.
Oh damn. I'll keep away from that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
L.Hutton
B.Richards
D.Bradman
S.Tendulkar
V.Richards
G.Sobers
A.Gilchrist +
R.Hadlee
M.Marshall
S.Warne
G.McGrath

easy

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
L.Hutton
B.Richards
D.Bradman
S.Tendulkar
V.Richards
G.Sobers
A.Gilchrist +
R.Hadlee
M.Marshall
S.Warne
G.McGrath

easy
Just about perfect. Just would love to put Steyn in there, but hard to argue with McGrath. Which 2 get the new ball and who goes 1st change?

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
My English all-time XI with some comments:

1. Jack Hobbs - In my view the best opener of all time. Average of 56 despite purposely throwing his wicket away sometimes just after his century.

2. Bert Sutcliffe - Says something that you've never had a test average below 60 and you're viewed as second fiddle in an opening partnership. Amazing partnership between him and Hobbs.

3. Len Hutton

4. Wally Hammond

5. W. G. Grace (capt) - Probably doesn't count in light that he's mainly here because of his first-class contributions but still you can't leave him out.

6. Wilfred Rhodes - In my view he's England's best spinner ever. And his batting is good as well.

7. Ian Botham

8. Alan Knott (wk)

9. Fred Trueman

10. Tom Richardson - A forgotten great; a giant of the Wisden century. Just beats out Anderson.

11. Sydney Barnes - Best bowler of all-time IMO. Terrific average even in that era, and managed to keep it up for almost 200 wickets.

12th man: Derek Underwood

Managed to put five openers in there. :)

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
L.Hutton
B.Richards
D.Bradman
S.Tendulkar
V.Richards
G.Sobers
A.Gilchrist +
R.Hadlee
M.Marshall
S.Warne
G.McGrath

easy
The one issue I have with this team is Barry Richards. Not saying he didn't deserve it at all but based on that kind of a test career, it would be unfair to Hobbs or Gavaskar if he made it ahead of them.
A big fan of batdeep as well hence Imran would make it ahead of Mcgrath for me, but then hard to argue with such a giant of a bowler.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The one issue I have with this team is Barry Richards. Not saying he didn't deserve it at all but based on that kind of a test career, it would be unfair to Hobbs or Gavaskar if he made it ahead of them.
A big fan of batdeep as well hence Imran would make it ahead of Mcgrath for me, but then hard to argue with such a giant of a bowler.
That team already bats deep with Marshall at 9 and Warne at 10.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
My English all-time XI with some comments:

1. Jack Hobbs - In my view the best opener of all time. Average of 56 despite purposely throwing his wicket away sometimes just after his century.

2. Bert Sutcliffe - Says something that you've never had a test average below 60 and you're viewed as second fiddle in an opening partnership. Amazing partnership between him and Hobbs.

3. Len Hutton

4. Wally Hammond

5. W. G. Grace (capt) - Probably doesn't count in light that he's mainly here because of his first-class contributions but still you can't leave him out.

6. Wilfred Rhodes - In my view he's England's best spinner ever. And his batting is good as well.

7. Ian Botham

8. Alan Knott (wk)

9. Fred Trueman

10. Tom Richardson - A forgotten great; a giant of the Wisden century. Just beats out Anderson.

11. Sydney Barnes - Best bowler of all-time IMO. Terrific average even in that era, and managed to keep it up for almost 200 wickets.

12th man: Derek Underwood

Managed to put five openers in there. :)
Love this team, great to see Grace and Richardson in there. Also maybe its just me but there is no doubt in my mind that England’s best XI should involve all 3 of Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hutton at the top of the order. The gap between them and the rest of England’s middle order batsmen (outside of Hammond ofc) is significant enough.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Well Ken Barrington's record is just as good as any of those guys.

To refer to Herbert Sutcliffe as Bert is slightly confusing because he was never known as Bert but there was a Bert Sutcliffe who played for New Zealand.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My England XI would be:

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
Compton
Barrington
Ames +
Botham
Larwood
Trueman
Barnes
Laker

Didn't include Grace because I find it hard to judge guys from that era but he could be in there.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
My England XI would be:

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
Compton
Barrington
Ames +
Botham
Larwood
Trueman
Barnes
Laker

Didn't include Grace because I find it hard to judge guys from that era but he could be in there.
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Barnes
Laker
Anderson