• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wtf, Pratters said India "did well overseas". How the **** did you use that to take a potshot at Indian fans overhyping our overseas record under Ganguly?

That's very bad posting.

In my humble opinion.
Well I don't see how that was offensive, but apologies if you felt that way. I always here IND fans (most of my cricketer fins in UK are Indians) in the past on CW, other chat forums over-hype the improvement IND had overseas start started under Ganguly & the explanation Pratters gave follows a similar trend.

It is not a fair statement based on historical precedent as Pratters is suggesting than an ATXI would not struggle in hypothetical scenario's of winning tests/series abroad.

cnerd123

likes this
So you're just picking him because people tend to ignore him for better players like Barnes and Laker? Is this an Underdog XI or an ATG XI?

cnerd123

likes this
No it isn't. Saying Wardle was better than them is hardly a ridiculous opinion.
Agree to disagree then. Barnes is in contention for the ATG XI for me, so naturally he walks into an England XI. Laker arguable in the top 5 spinners of all time too. I don't see the case for Wardle.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I don't see much difference between Wardle and Laker. Batting and fielding about the same. May even be a touch in Wardle's favour. But bowling wise, both struggled against high quality batting on wickets that didn't give them a great deal but were great at other times.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
left-arm guys Verity/Underwood are pretty much the same. So is off-spinners Laker/Swann. Although you can probably give slight edges to Underwood/Swann cause they played in Asia vs good batting line-ups and held their own.

But Wardle is definitely one of the most skilled spinners in cricket history & the most skilled spinner ENG ever produced. Having a spinner that can bowl two styles so competently is very exciting and unique variety to an attack

The author of article Rob Steen did a great job or articulating his career situation which is one of great selection follies in the game. It always has puzzled me how in those days if the cricket authorities could ban aussies Ian Mekiff, Gordon Rorke, S Africa's Geoff Griffin & Kiwi Gary Bartlett for chucking - but allowed Lock to get away with chucking for almost two decades. Because essentially while Laker was # 1 - Lock kept Wardle from playing more Ashes other tests in for England.

Plus he played in a time when ENG were truly the # 1 team in test history 1951-1958, where you have those weird stories where Len Hutton and Peter May banned him from bowling his left-arm chairman :laugh: Terribly strange

If Wardle had played from the 70s onwards it is indeed possible Underwood would not have had a career & in modern times when Warne/Murali ran rampant & off-spinners bowling the doosra, he would have been celebrated for his skills as a spinner. So I'm inclined to the view that how he was wronged - should not detract from his greatness & should be rewarded a place in the ENG ATXI.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's absolutely nothing wrong with picking Wardle in an all time XI.
Maybe if you want a second spinner. Leaving out Barnes and Laker for Wardle is very definitely an odd move.
No it isn't. Saying Wardle was better than them is hardly a ridiculous opinion.
Agree to disagree then. Barnes is in contention for the ATG XI for me, so naturally he walks into an England XI. Laker arguable in the top 5 spinners of all time too. I don't see the case for Wardle.
Have been on board the Wardle express for a bit. Would have played more if he had been a bit more circumspect with his off field behavior.

Nothing between Lock and Wardle for me. Actually prefer Wardle. Underwood slightly better though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Have been on board the Wardle express for a bit. Would have played more if he had been a bit more circumspect with his off field behavior.

Nothing between Lock and Wardle for me. Actually prefer Wardle. Underwood slightly better though.
Well Lock was a chucker and how good he was was distorted by that.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Gonna have my first go at an ATG ODI XI, not exactly an expert on the format, but whatever.

Tendulkar
Amla
Richards
de Villiers
Symonds
Dhoni+
Afridi
Wasim
Warne
Garner
McGrath

Well open to changes, thoughts? Feel like the tail may be too weak.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Big 3 right now

Cook, Warner, Smith, Kohli, Root, Rahane, Buttler?, Ashwin, Johnson, Broad, Anderson

Reckon they would get beat by South Zealistan here

Latham, Azhar, Amla, Younis, De Villiers, Misbah, Watling, Philander, Steyn, Yasir, Boult

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the emergence of ABdV and Dhoni being my favored pick for wk ahead of Gilly, the opening slot with Sachin goes to Ponting.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's averaging 50+ with a 90 strikerate, I didn't see him in the WC but is that enough to hold against him?
Yeah I think it is. Depends on how much you value world cup runs, and for me, that's a big part of ODI greatness. Amla's not had a single quality innings against a decent side even once in his whole WC career so far, and until he does something substantial in a WC, I'd pick Waugh over him.

Also, bring in Flintoff for Afridi. Makes the lower order and the bowing attack stronger.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Big 3 right now

Cook, Warner, Smith, Kohli, Root, Rahane, Buttler?, Ashwin, Johnson, Broad, Anderson

Reckon they would get beat by South Zealistan here

Latham, Azhar, Amla, Younis, De Villiers, Misbah, Watling, Philander, Steyn, Yasir, Boult
Yeah they could get beaten but that's not too surprising when the big 3 doesn't include the highest ranked team and includes 5th place but not fourth.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gonna have my first go at an ATG ODI XI, not exactly an expert on the format, but whatever.

Tendulkar
Amla
Richards
de Villiers
Symonds
Dhoni+
Afridi
Wasim
Warne
Garner
McGrath

Well open to changes, thoughts? Feel like the tail may be too weak.

Why not Bevan in place of Afridi and bump everyone from Symonds down a spot?

My all time Indian ODI XI:

Sachin
Ganguly
Kohli
Azhar
Yuvraj
Dhoni (c) (wk)
Kapil
Harbhajan
Kumble
Zaheer
Srinath