• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Ricky Ponting?

Do you like Ricky Ponting?

• Total voters

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
I used to respect his skill, but that incident with him berating the umpires over the caught behind incident with KP in the 4th Ashes test in 2010 changed my opinion. Pointing his finger at Aleem Dar and then marching off to have a go at Tony Hill as well. Convinced of his own opinion and furious that the officials (and the technology) didn't agree with him.

Came accross as very, very arrogant.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
He certainly gives an impression, that one would go war with him by side and never be let down. Brilliant competitor. His final ODI century in WC QF is a classic example, he more or less scored it with his bloodymindedness. I ****ing love the bloke.
Cost his team atleast 20 runs with his slowgoing and possibly a place in SF

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Do I like him?

- Champion batsman, exciting to watch in full flight, pull shot of the highest calibre, loved his straight drive as well. In Australia's top 5 batsmen of all time.

- One of the best fieldsman I've ever seen, clutch in tight run out situations, hit the stumps more than anyone else I can recall.

- Decent bloke who doesn't talk crap.

Why the hell wouldn't you like him.

ganeshran

International Debutant
He is one of those players who is idolized by home fans yet irritates the fans of other teams. Just like Gambhir, Harbhajan, Ranatunga, Symonds

As a batsman, he was a joy to watch in his peak. But as a sportsperson not so much, especially after the image of Aussie invincibility got shattered with the retirement of the greats

ganeshran

International Debutant
Didn't even think most Indians like Gambhir tbh.
Gambhir is quite popular in India, played crucial roles in the finals of both T20 and ODI world cup. Yeah, but with the mercurial players, criticism is always louder when they dont do well. The soft spoken, modest players usually get more leeway even during a run of poor form

Ponting's attitude looked great when the team was winning everywhere and was called never-say-die and counted as an important factor in the their victories. But when both team and individual performances suffered, the same attitude came to be seen as whingeing and was criticized

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Never used to like him, thought he was a bit of a dick tbh. And didn't really enjoy watching him bat either.

Have changed my mind in the last couple of years though. Seems to be a decent bloke who largely plays the game the way it should be played. Heck of a fielder too - that catch he took to get rid of Jamie How in 2008(?) was ludicrous.

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
Cost his team atleast 20 runs with his slowgoing and possibly a place in SF
Now that's just being stupid. Scoring a ton at an SR of 88 without much back up at all from the the rest of your team mates is very good specially considering the occasion. It was the best innings in the game. Definitely deserves praises for that innings. You sound like a grumpy old man that's not satisfied with anything.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
No, I don't. A **** diplomat for Australian cricket, really. I don't know if it was a sense of entitlement borne of being offered a bat contract before he'd grown his first pube, but it's as if he went out of his way to be the side's alpha douche after he didn't have to compete with Warne or McGrath for the title. Waugh at least had the good grace to only be a **** behind the scenes and managed to not yell at umpires, coaches, reporters or his own batting partners in front of TV cameras.

NB: Could bat a bit.