• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm actually starting to feel a lot more hopeful about next years world cup.

Williamson, Latham, Mitchell, Conway, Allen, Macewell, Phillips, Santner, Neesham, Southee, Boult, Sodhi, Ferguson, Henry, Jamieson

It's a better seeming squad than I thought we'd have in 2023. And while it is in India, our limited overs spin options are looking very healthy. I could see us being 3rd or 4th favourites going into the tournament if we hit a good patch of form.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

Williamson, Latham, Mitchell, Conway, Allen, Macewell, Phillips, Santner, Neesham, Southee, Boult, Sodhi, Ferguson, Henry, Jamieson

It's a better seeming squad than I thought we'd have in 2023. And while it is in India, our limited overs spin options are looking very healthy. I could see us being 3rd or 4th favourites going into the tournament if we hit a good patch of form.
How would u get over another SF/Final loss?

thundaboult

International Debutant
How would u get over another SF/Final loss?
I definitely wouldn't be able to. We are squandering chance and after chance to lift trophies. I swear our chances of winning a trophy after getting into the KO stages is like 10% or something close. Its baaaad. Also the way we play these semi finals and finals is a big concern. There's this constant "lets just make a middling total" and see what happens approach. Surely we can be more positive and aggressive. Get on the front foot and stay there. Let the pressure we apply to the opposition sink take its toll on them.

Athlai

Not Terrible
And England had some ridiculous good fortune to get to that tie, including getting more runs than should've been given

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

I'd prefer to have Conway in the middle order to deal with spin, but then who would open with Allen? Do we pick Guptill, Nicholls, Young, or Ravindra as a bolter? Or should Kane open?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
On 2nd thoughts I think so too. Latham is just as good against spin.

Allen
Conway
Williamson
Latham
Mitchell
Phillips
Macewell/Neesham
Santner
Henry
Sodhi/Ferguson
Boult

thierry henry

International Coach
Obviously he wouldn’t be the first guy picked in the wrong format, but is Allen kinda one of the first of a generation of players where 50-over form is basically not even a thing anymore and so vibes is the only available selection criteria.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I reckon Southee is looking more likely than Boult lately. Will be very pleased if Boult starts to really fire again though.

Henry in India fills me with no confidence.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Rippon had a good OD tour of India with NZ A as we lost 3-0 to a very strong India A:

61 off 104 (came in at 61/6) out of 167, and 5 overs 1 for 28.

10* off 13 and 3 overs for 18.

29 off 24 and 7.3 overs 2 for 43.

Would be an interesting option.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah Rippon and Rachin will also probably be close to the squad. Some solid limited overs spin depth right now.