• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic off-season 2012/13

SeamUp

International Coach
Basically these players will be cricket ready if needed in the Northern Hemisphere as the games are more or less as the England series starts.

BATSMEN

Faf Du Plessis (TITANS)
Temba Bavuma (LIONS)
Farhaan Behardien (TITANS)
Dean Elgar (KNIGHTS)
Reeza Hendricks (KNIGHTS)
Colin Ingram (WARRIORS)
Richard Levi (COBRAS)
David Miller (DOLPHINS)
Justin Ontong (COBRAS)
Rilee Rossouw (KNIGHTS)
Stiaan Van Zyl (COBRAS)

KEEPERS

Thami Tsolekile (LIONS)
Dane Vilas (COBRAS)
Heino Kuhn (TITANS)

SPINNERS

Simon Harmer (WARRIORS)
Aaron Phangiso (LIONS)

FAST/SEAM BOWLERS

Kyle Abbott (DOLPHINS)
Marchant De Lange (TITANS)
Quinton Friend (KNIGHTS)
Rory Kleinveldt (COBRAS)
Pumelela Matshikwe (LIONS)
Ryan McLaren (KNIGHTS)
Chris Morris (LIONS)
Wayne Parnell (WARRIORS)

SeamUp

International Coach
I think if you have to look at that squad, there would be a longer version split (of which some are in the limited overs mix) and the shoter version players.

SAF 'A' FC team

Dean Elgar
Reeza Hendricks
Stiaan Van Zyl
Rilee Rossouw
Faf Du Plessis
Temba Bavuma
Thami Tsolekile/Dane Vilas/ Heino Kuhn
Simon Harmer
Wayne Parnell
Chris Morris
Marchant De Lange

12th and 13th men Quinton Friend and Rory Kelinveldt/Ryan McLaren

That team bats to 10. Not too bad.

Limited overs players

Richard Levi
Colin Ingram
Justin Ontong
David Miller
Farhaan Behardien
Vilas is the standout one-day keeper from the 3
Phangiso is only a limited overs spinner
All the bowlers bar Friend/Matshikwe play limited overs cricket regularly for Franchise

SeamUp

International Coach
Harmer spins to SA A cap

24 May 2012
Alvin Reeves

CHEVROLET Warriors offspinner Simon Harmer says he may unleash a couple of surprise deliveries when the new cricket season rolls on a bit earlier than usual next month.

Harmer was one of four new caps named in the South Africa A side to play two four-day "tests” against Sri Lanka A in Durban and a triangular one-day series against Zimbabwe A and Sri Lanka A, in Zimbabwe.

The fixtures will start on June 30 and run through until July 21.

The other new caps in a squad of 24 are spinner Aaron Phangiso, batsman Temba Bavuma and allrounder Chris Morris, all of the Highveld Lions.

Titans allrounder Faf du Plessis will captain the side in both formats.

Harmer was the leading wicket-taker in the SuperSport Series last year with 44 and finished with 63 wickets in all formats of the game.

He has now been awarded the chance to perform at a higher level and he is relishing the opportunity.

"I’m a bit nervous. It’s a bit new because I’ve never really been there before. I’m looking forward to the challenge but don’t really know what to expect and I guess that’s what’s making me nervous,” Harmer said.

"It’s good to get recognition but it doesn’t stop here, the hard work has just started. There aren’t a lot of opportunities in professional sport. So I’ve got to make this one count because it’s a chance to fast-track my career. If I make it here I’ll suddenly get a lot more exposure and it does open doors for you higher up, especially in the test set-up.”

Harmer knows his success last season will have opposition video analysts working overtime to try and counteract him.

"If I’m brutally honest, I was a bit of an unknown quantity. The first season is always going to be easier than your second. So there’s still so much hard work to do. It would be easy to rest on my laurels and think I’ve arrived but at the end of the day, a lot more attention is going to be paid to me and how I do things.”

He has been consulting with former Eastern Province and South Africa spinner Shafiek Abrahams during the off-season in a bid to remain one step ahead of the opposition.

"I’ve been working on a couple of things and will have a few tricks up my sleeve come next season. I’m working to perfect a delivery that slides on and one that goes away from the right-hander.”

SeamUp

International Coach
Neil Mac gives the run-down on the 'A' squad and other views. Top man!

Still early for Faf to be in Proteas Test team

The huge strides Faf du Plessis has made as a cricketer in the last two seasons was perfectly exemplified by the South Africa ‘A’ squad named this week to play their Sri Lankan and Zimbabwean counterparts.
25 May 2012 | Neil McKenzie

The huge strides Faf du Plessis has made as a cricketer in the last two seasons was perfectly exemplified by the South Africa ‘A’ squad named this week to play their Sri Lankan and Zimbabwean counterparts.

Not only with the Proteas’ limited overs stalwart play in both formats, he’ll assume the leadership responsibilities as well.

It just once again shows what a funny ol’ game this can be, particularly since one needs to take into account that Faf wasn’t even making the Titans’ SuperSport Series squad last season.

International commitments meant he missed the early part of the first-class campaign this season but when he returned for the middle and latter stages of the campaign, he was outstanding in scoring three centuries and two fifties in five matches.

In many ways, it was a breakthrough for him because the nagging criticism that’s been associated with him was that he didn’t seem to replicate his fine limited overs form into the four-day game.

It’s really great to see him instigating this turnaround in his fortunes but I don’t think we can consider him a Test side option yet.

Firstly, the Test side’s batting order is so formidable, it at times hinges on being impenetrable.

What’s noticeable is that the members of that group are intent on gobbling up runs and is reflected in their stats – they average in the high 40s or even early 50s.

And, to be honest, when looking for replacements to fill breaches when they pop up, you’d ideally want players who exhibit the same run-scoring desire than the senior guys.

There’s a bit of a pecking order here, which is why JP Duminy continues to be the go-to guy in the absence of a senior guy and why I probably would feel a guy like Dean Elgar is more deserved of a five-day place – he’s been prolific in the SuperSport Series for the Knights consistently. Faf and Colin Ingram are in a similar position – exciting batters who’ve woken up a tad late in the more-day format.

Both had good seasons this year and what we’re hoping for is that they continue to perform in the format.

Then we can consider them as Test options.
At least this Sri Lanka ‘A’ Test series allows Faf a further opportunity to stake a claim.

Overall, a fairly big squad features all the usual suspects though it is heartening to see some new faces that have done well this season being rewarded.

Aaron Phangiso is a nice new face, having established himself as a real proverbial “banker” in our side’s, the Highveld Lions, limited overs outfits. He continues the trend of our left-arm tweakers maturing at more advanced stages of their career, much like Robin Peterson.

I don’t really expect him to feature in the four-day stuff but he may yet play a role in the triangular one-day series in Zim.

Instead, it’s the Warriors’ Simon Harmer who might play in the two-match four-day series. He’s been superb in all formats this season and it’s nice to see an off-spinner letting it rip – it hasn’t been a prolific art at international level in recent times except maybe for England’s Graeme Swann.

We also have the exciting duo of Temba Bavuma and Chris Morris getting call-ups. They’re both great talents and will respond well to having experienced guys playing around them.

Chris is a genuine all-rounder and needs to be cultivated carefully. I’m always happy when the South Africa ‘A’ squad gets an opportunity to play and their opposition will give them a decent run for their money.

Zimbabwe is always competitive at home, even if their depth is a bit suspect.

But I still await the day when we can face our Australian and England counterparts – that would be a good show.

SeamUp

International Coach
IRELAND TOUR FOR SOUTH AFRICA 'A' as well

South Africa will ensure they have adequate reserves to call during their tour of England by basing their A squad in Ireland during part of the trip. It is a strategy that mirrors England's 2010-11 Ashes-winning tactics when their performance squad spent time in Brisbane and Perth, a visit which overlapped with the first two Tests of the series.

South Africa A will play two four-day matches, two fifty-over fixtures and four twenty-over games against the Ireland national side. Their stay in the country will run concurrently with the third Test against England at Lord's and the first four ODIs.

"This is something we are going to do on a more regular basis, where we can," Vincent Barnes, High Performance Coach, who is in charge of the A side told ESPNcricinfo. "It means if the guys are needed to play for the senior side, they will be right there, instead of having to come in from the cold. Some of the players who are part of the ODI squad but not the Test squad will be able to play in that series."

Players such as Faf du Plessis, Marchant de Lange and Justin Ontong, who are all considered close to the Test squad and part of the limited-overs plans, are likely to feature in the series. "It's all about what Gary [Kirsten] feels he may need and everything is being geared to make sure players are ready for international cricket," Barnes said.

"We will also look to do the same thing next year, when the national side tours Sri Lanka, we will send a shadow side. It's especially important to send an A side when the away tours take place during our off season."

South Africa A have a busy schedule in the next few months. They will play Sri Lanka A in two four-day matches in Durban starting on June 30, before travelling to Zimbabwe to play in a one-day tri-series, featuring Sri Lanka A and the hosts.

Schedule v Ireland

AUG 6 - 9 1st unofficial test
AUG 12-15 2nd unofficial test
AUG 19 1st unofficial ODI
AUG 21 2nd unofficial ODI
AUG 27 1st unofficial T20I
AUG 29 2nd unofficial T20I
AUG 31 3rd unofficial T20I
SEP 2 4th unofficial T20I

SeamUp

International Coach
Morris, Faf included in T20 squad

Chris Morris, the 25-year-old bizhub Highveld Lions allrounder, will make his first appearance for the Proteas in the unofficial T20 International Series against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh next month.

The series takes place in Zimbabwe from June 18 to 24.

Faf du Plessis of the Nashua Titans has also been included in the T20 squad for the first time.

The squad will be captained by Johan Botha of the Chevrolet Warriors in the absence of AB de Villiers who is one of four players being rested. The others are Jacques Kallis, Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel.

“The four players concerned have turned out in virtually all their games for their franchises during the Indian Premier League (IPL),” explained Cricket South Africa (CSA) selection convener Andrew Hudson.

“In addition they are involved in all three international formats for the Proteas and this is the last chance to rest them until the end of the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka in September and October.

“Du Plessis has been a stand-out performer for the Chennai Super Kings at the IPL and well deserves his T20 call-up. He has given us exciting, extra options by demonstrating his ability both at the top of the order and in the middle-order.

“Morris’s selection continues our policy of creating international opportunities for those who perform outstandingly well at franchise level and this certainly applies in his case.

“He was the leading wicket-taker in the MiWay T20 Challenge (21 wickets at 12.6 with an economy rate of 6.8) and was also very effective as a lower order hitter with a batting strike rate of 200. He played a very significant role in getting the Lions to the final and this included stand-out bowling performances in the two league victories over the Nashua Titans – the eventual champions.

“We are also giving further opportunities to both Farhaan Behardien of the Nashua Titans and Dane Vilas of the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras who made their international debuts in the New Age Friendship Cup T20 International against India at the end of last season,” Hudson concluded.

PROTEAS SQUAD: Johan Botha (Chevrolet Warriors, capt), Hashim Amla (Sunfoil Dolphins), Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans), Marchant de Lange (Nashua Titans), JP Duminy (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras), Faf du Plessis (Nashua Titans), Colin Ingram (Chevrolet Warriors), Richard Levi (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras), Albie Morkel (Nashua Titans), Chris Morris (bizhub Highveld Lions), Justin Ontong (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras), Wayne Parnell (Chevrolet Warriors), Robin Peterson (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras), Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Chevrolet Warriors), Dane Vilas (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras).

SeamUp

International Coach
Great to see Chris Morris. Wasn't even contracted to a franchise just over a year ago. Has a lot going for him and certainly can get some test caps.