• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
But there's something worrying about selectors doing it one way, and chickening out and going the other way when it doesn't work out in one series.
Planning for the T20 World Cup, versus blooding Test players in the England series.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But then Ferguson is an ordinary T20 player. If he's in the plans for the T20 WC that's a worry. Why not say Finch? or noted t20 gun shaun marsh?

They didn't like the headlines, they whipped out.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Hardly. The Ashes is in England. The thought process was to give guys who are likely to be part of the Ashes squad experience. In England. They have an 'A' tour now, in England. They figured some guys would be better off playing there before next year.

This ODI series is in different conditions so they pick the side accordingly. Is it that hard to figure out?

benchmark00

Hang on hang on, let's be fair dinkum here.

How the **** is Travis Birt not in the t20 squad? He's in the top 3 t20 batsmen in the country imo. Horrible.

Spikey

we give him a chance. he failed. next. aaron finch is probably in the top 5, has performed and still doesn't get picked. birt never had a chance!

Hardly. The Ashes is in England. The thought process was to give guys who are likely to be part of the Ashes squad experience. In England. They have an 'A' tour now, in England. They figured some guys would be better off playing there before next year.

This ODI series is in different conditions so they pick the side accordingly. Is it that hard to figure out?
Ok. But the practice of giving players considered future test hopes chances in the ODI arena with a slight disregard to domestic OD form started in Australia, during the CB series. Where it worked, to such the extent we said see ya later Ricky. And then we carried it into the Caribbean, where it was ok. And then we carried it into England. And it didn't work. So we've replaced Forrest, and not with a player considered a future test player, but a guy we over-looked for the CB series because his Shield form was so pathetic. We've done a complete 360. And I happen to think it's a bit worrying.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't love the course in the first place. Picking Forrest seemed a massive stretch, but it worked at first, and it's a decent enough idea, I just didn't like the player they did it with. And I don't like the 360 we've done. Again, I'd rather we just give Voges another chance. (although doing so here would have meant dragging him away from his county team so I can understand not doing it)

Last edited:

Spikey

hence the total 360 when things went bad

edit: of course, it's possible the whole 'idea' was a 3-2 vote in the first place, and now marsh or someone has switched. so it's not that big of a shift

uvelocity

International Coach
the "oh he's playing in the australia a series instead" doesn't wash when bailey smith starc pattinson cummins are all in the uae and aus a squads

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
we give him a chance. he failed. next. aaron finch is probably in the top 5, has performed and still doesn't get picked. birt never had a chance!

Ok. But the practice of giving players considered future test hopes chances in the ODI arena with a slight disregard to domestic OD form started in Australia, during the CB series. Where it worked, to such the extent we said see ya later Ricky. And then we carried it into the Caribbean, where it was ok. And then we carried it into England. And it didn't work. So we've replaced Forrest, and not with a player considered a future test player, but a guy we over-looked for the CB series because his Shield form was so pathetic. We've done a complete 360. And I happen to think it's a bit worrying.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't love the course in the first place. Picking Forrest seemed a massive stretch, but it worked at first, and it's a decent enough idea, I just didn't like the player they did it with. And I don't like the 360 we've done. Again, I'd rather we just give Voges another chance. (although doing so here would have meant dragging him away from his county team so I can understand not doing it)
Actually I just realised something...Forrest was only put in the 15 man squad after Hussey had to go back home. So he wasn't even going to play in the OD series if that didn't happen. So...yeah...seems as though they just ****ed up a bit there. If they really wanted to give Forrest some prep for the Ashes in Eng surely he would have been part of 15 man squad to begin with.

Spikey

when is the aus a series? i've forgotten
Later this month I think.

Actually I just realised something...Forrest was only put in the 15 man squad after Hussey had to go back home. So he wasn't even going to play in the OD series if that didn't happen. So...yeah...seems as though they just ****ed up a bit there. If they really wanted to give Forrest some prep for the Ashes in Eng surely he would have been part of 15 man squad to begin with.
Oh yeah I forgot about that. It changes it a bit. But still, it's a 360 to pick Ferguson. everything they've said and done up 'til this point suggests a guy who is closer to be being cut from SA than getting a baggygreen won't get an ODI spot

Ruckus

International Captain
Well yeah if anything I think it makes you're claim that Ferguson was picked on whim more likely, because why else would they have Forrest as a 'stand-by/not-in-squad' batsman for the England OD series, unless they thought he was actually a good option. After all he replaced Hussey, practically the best batsman in our side, not another guy who was just put in the squad to gain experience. That they've actually dropped Forrest now, and put in Ferguson is pretty ****ed up.

PS. I had an awesome happy-go-lucky frame of mind on the previous page, so thanks for shaking me out of it.

Spikey

Ftr Forrest has put out a statement saying he doesn't particularly care if it's sunny or not for the aus a tour

Spikey

Came in here after seeing that to say I find it odd that this talk about Hughes and international LO cricket is only starting now.